You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-17 12:04:12

damjan

hibernate-script vs pm-utils

Hi,
I'm using a tux-on-ice patched kernel and latest hibernate-script (1.97) .. and it works fine.. fb splash included.
I use hibernate-script for both suspend to ram, and to disk.

But I was wondering about pm-utils.. how does it compare to hibernate-script? Does it support the same features? Does it have some more features? Does it have some dangerous features (like setting powersave mode on the HDD, thus triggering the Load_Cycle_Count problem - dunno?)?

I ask because it seems pm-utils is more broadly supported, from HAL for ex.
Any testimonies from hibernate-script  to pm-utils switchers??

#2 2007-12-17 12:50:23

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: hibernate-script vs pm-utils

I could get hibernate to work properly, just minor annoyances which probably could have been fixed.  pm-utils worked fine, with little tweaking.

It does reset hdparam and thus trigger the Load_Cycle_count problem so I needed to add that to a script that gets called on resume.

#3 2008-02-04 05:39:24

jbromley

I've got a Dell Inspiron 9300 running ratpoison and using the fglrx driver and here is my experience with these two packages. Last November I set this machine up with hibernate-scripts. Suspend-to-disk worked fine off the bat, but I had to do some manual configuration to get suspend-to-ram working (unload certain modules, daemons). Even in this state, occasionally suspend-to-ram would not resume for reasons I never figured out.

Now I have set up this machine with pm-utils and both suspend-to-disk and suspend-to-ram both work. I did not have to tweak anything to get this working. It is possible that improvements have also been made in hibernate-scrips, but I have not tried them out.

Other than general functioning, hibernate-script is much easier to adjust and customize, since it proves heavily commented text configuration files that let you control every aspect of suspend/resume. As far as I can tell modifying pm-utils means directly modifying the suspend scripts. Hibernate-scripts also have more facilities for output (text and GUI) than pm-utils. If I recall correctly, hibernate-script can even interface with some bootsplash programs.

Regards,
j

#4 2008-02-05 00:14:41

patroclo7

An important difference is that the hibernate-script lets you choose the core method to suspend to ram (e.g.: s2ram) or to disk (e.g.: tuxonice, uswsusp etc), while pm-utils is a blackbox which decides for you (and actually use bare acpi S3 for ram and vanilla swsusp for disk). However this may change in the future (they are adding support for different methods).

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

Board footer