You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-18 18:11:38

colbert

Need help installing program

I am trying to install Ant so I can build a plugin for tuxguitar (tuxguitar.com.ar). Here is the Ant manual: http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html

Please refer to the Setup section a bit down from the top, I don't understand what to do, here is what it instructs (from link above):

Before you can run Ant there is some additional set up you will need to do unless you are installing the RPM version from jpackage.org:

* Add the bin directory to your path.
    * Set the ANT_HOME environment variable to the directory where you installed Ant. On some operating systems, Ant's startup scripts can guess ANT_HOME (Unix dialects and Windows NT/2000), but it is better to not rely on this behavior.
    * Optionally, set the JAVA_HOME environment variable (see the Advanced section below). This should be set to the directory where your JDK is installed.

Note: Do not install Ant's ant.jar file into the lib/ext directory of the JDK/JRE. Ant is an application, whilst the extension directory is intended for JDK extensions. In particular there are security restrictions on the classes which may be loaded by an extension.

I have so far unzipped the ant-1.7.0.zip file to my desktop and moved the folder to /opt, so I have /opt/apache-ant-1.7.0. I know it work as I did sh /opt/apache-ant-1.7.0/bin/ant and it tried to build what I wanted but gave some errors that I am sure are related to the above, which I need to know how to do.

TIA for any help smile

Last edited by colbert (2007-12-18 18:12:04)

#2 2007-12-18 18:54:39

peart

Re: Need help installing program

pacman -S apache-ant

#3 2007-12-18 19:47:58

colbert

peart,

Thank you! I did a pacman search for ant but forgot about the apache part wink  I am now getting this error trying to build it:

bobby@dabox:~/installs/TuxGuitar-alsa-0.9-src$ ant
Unable to locate tools.jar. Expected to find it in /opt/java/lib/tools.jar
Buildfile: build.xml

init:

build:
     [echo] +--------------------------------------------------------------------+
     [echo] |          B U I L D I N G   T U X G U I T A R  -  A L S A           |
    [javac] Compiling 10 source files to /home/bobby/installs/TuxGuitar-alsa-0.9-src/build

BUILD FAILED
/home/bobby/installs/TuxGuitar-alsa-0.9-src/build.xml:34: Unable to find a javac compiler;
com.sun.tools.javac.Main is not on the classpath.
Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK.
It is currently set to "/opt/java/jre"

Total time: 0 seconds
bobby@dabox:~/installs/TuxGuitar-alsa-0.9-src$

??

#4 2007-12-18 19:52:20

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

Perhaps JAVA_HOME does not point to the JDK.
It is currently set to "/opt/java/jre"

Do you have 'jdk' installed?

#5 2007-12-18 20:32:55

colbert

Cerebral, thanks, just installed and am getting this now:

bobby@dabox:~/installs/TuxGuitar-alsa-0.9-src$ ant
Buildfile: build.xml

init:

build:
     [echo] |          B U I L D I N G   T U X G U I T A R  -  A L S A           |
    [javac] Compiling 10 source files to /home/bobby/installs/TuxGuitar-alsa-0.9-src/build
    [javac] Note: Some input files use unchecked or unsafe operations.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:unchecked for details.
     [echo] |        P A C K A G I N G   T U X G U I T A R  -  A L S A           |
      [jar] Building jar: /home/bobby/installs/TuxGuitar-alsa-0.9-src/TuxGuitar-alsa.jar
     [echo] |        B U I L D I N G   N A T I V E - L I B R A R I E S           |
     [exec] gcc  -c -o midi_receiver.o midi_receiver.c
     [exec] In file included from midi_receiver.c:3:
     [exec] midi_receiver.h:2:17: error: jni.h: No such file or directory
     [exec] midi_receiver.h:15: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.h:23: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.h:31: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.h:39: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.h:47: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.h:55: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.h:63: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.h:71: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.c:16: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.c:67: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.c:80: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.c:99: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.c:116: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.c:133: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.c:152: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] midi_receiver.c:171: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'void'
     [exec] make: *** [midi_receiver.o] Error 1

BUILD FAILED
/home/bobby/installs/TuxGuitar-alsa-0.9-src/build.xml:52: exec returned: 2

Total time: 3 seconds
bobby@dabox:~/installs/TuxGuitar-alsa-0.9-src$

If it's an error specific to the program I'm trying to install I can try their forum.

#6 2007-12-18 20:39:37

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

[exec] midi_receiver.h:2:17: error: jni.h: No such file or directory

That seems to be the real problem.  This file should be in jdk:

$ pacman -Ql jdk | grep jni
jdk /opt/java/include/jni.h

I think you need to make sure your include path has /opt/java/include in it.  Try running

source /etc/profile

then running ant again - the jdk package includes a file in /etc/profile.d that might set up your paths properly and is only sourced when you login or when you explicitly source it (like above)

#7 2007-12-18 20:45:28

colbert

Okay, I did:

[bobby@dabox TuxGuitar-alsa-0.9-src]$ pacman -Ql jdk | grep jni
jdk /opt/java/include/jni.h
jdk /opt/java/include/linux/jni_md.h
[bobby@dabox TuxGuitar-alsa-0.9-src]$

then

source /etc/profile

I also edited /etc/profile and in export PATH I added /opt/java/. I did above command again. Still the same error on "ant" sad

#8 2007-12-18 20:49:56

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

colbert wrote:
source /etc/profile

I also edited /etc/profile and in export PATH I added /opt/java/. I did above command again. Still the same error on "ant" sad

Well, you shouldn't have to edit /etc/profile but I guess that wouldn't cause this error.  Does it still say it couldn't find jni.h?  I'm unfamiliar with ant in general, but that seems to be the source of your problem - somehow you've got to tell it to look in /opt/java/include for its header files.  Maybe someone else can pick it up from here, since that's about all I know.

#9 2007-12-18 20:53:52

colbert

On the website's forum, the developer has helped me. I had to edit the MakeFile and uncomment the #INCLUDES line. Thanks a lot for your help Cerebral, this Arch community is fantastic smile smile

Board footer