You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-19 18:08:28

jpa_cds

pacman and xorg

Hi

1 - pacman is working as I managed to install midnight commander with pacman -sy mc

2 - pacman -S xorg does not work. Neither does pacman -Sy. The system reports that xorg is not in the sync db

I have seen in response to pacman -sy that core, community and extra repository listings are downloaded - and that the system does become updated (including pacman herself).

Ok wise people - what do I try next?

Best Wishes;

john./
newbie to Arch, used debian for 5 years plus now..

Last edited by jpa_cds (2007-12-19 18:09:02)

#2 2007-12-19 18:38:59

shining
Pacman Developer

Re: pacman and xorg

Could you maybe copy/paste the exact commands you are launching, and their outputs, as well as your pacman.conf ?

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#3 2007-12-19 18:47:28

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

xorg is now a group - pacman -Sg oughta list off all groups, and 'xorg' should be one of them.  If you don't see an 'xorg' group, try a different mirror.

#4 2007-12-19 21:57:28

jpa_cds

Shining, Cerebral, thanks for your replies.

pacman -Sg does indeed list all goups and xorg is missing. So I will switch mirror, run pacman -Sy and see!

aaha! The GB repositry at manchester.sch..... perhaps is incomplete. I have commented that out, and am using repository in france. It looks as though it is going to work now.

Just as a newbie point - I have not found a really useful guide to pacman anywhere  -  just many posts etc. The how-tos int he wiki seem to be fine if it all goes to plan, but did not provide the info you good fokk were able to give me.

France is giving me some 'transient resolver failures' probably a router dropping packages somewhere.. OK maybe i need to run the select utility which packman has to find nearer repository.

Thanks!

#5 2007-12-20 09:56:05

alex_anthony

I use the mirrorservice.org mirror. Its new, so might not be in your pacman.d/* files. The main page is http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.archlinux.org/, so just type that, then follow the patterns of all the other mirrors e.g.

http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.archlinux.org/core/os/i686

That manchester mirror is always behind/incomplete

Board footer