You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-20 13:51:54

pressh
Developer/TU

proposal: new sticky message for 'AUR package request' section

Lately it seems that more and more people getting a bit too lazy IMHO. I'm talking about the 'AUR package request' section of the forum. Nowadays, about 75% (!) of the package requests are just 'please make a package for $randomname'. Just that. Example:

This really irritates me, and I assume, more people who are willing to help people to try a package they are desperate looking for for so long. I know we can't change bad habits, but I think we can try reducing these kind of requests (so not the requests, but the way they are asking). This would irritate people who are willing to help less, and people who want a package get probably more response.
A few examples of what I think are good requests are this one and this one. In both cases the user who requested the package tried to make a package themselves first. Although this is nice smile, I don't think it should be a requirement, as some people may not know how to start.

Now lets get more constructive. IMHO the sticky message in that forum section is a tad outdated. Somewhere in the middle there is, and I quote,

tomk wrote:

One more thing - if you are posting a package request here, please supply as much information as you can find about the application. If you want someone else to do the packaging for you, the least you can do is provide the necessary resources.

Combining this with the historic notes why the AUR exists (also in the current sticky message) and create a new sticky under the name "Please read this before making a package request" would be the best way to go, as I see it.
Well I can go on, but I think you guys got the point already. I'm willing to step up (if agreed upon the point I made above) and create the message and let one of the forum advisers (?) proof read it. Of course I have no problem if they (or a dev) want to do it wink.

Your opinions please.

#2 2007-12-23 16:34:29

pressh
Developer/TU

Re: proposal: new sticky message for 'AUR package request' section

Kick!

Probably I'm the only one who cares here. If so I guess I will leave it with that...

#3 2007-12-23 23:42:38

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Sorry bout that, I've been kind of busy and away as are several of the others (note to all: not an excuse to cause trouble! ;-))

I agree with your proposal, could you do me a favour and draft a new notice up? I'll proof it and put it in the sticky. Otherwise you'll have to ping me about it in the new year.

To be honest, I think that requesting packages should be part of the AUR functionality rather than in the forum, but this will do for now.

Dusty

#4 2007-12-24 00:15:06

pressh
Developer/TU

Dusty wrote:

Sorry bout that, I've been kind of busy and away as are several of the others (note to all: not an excuse to cause trouble! ;-))

no problem!

Dusty wrote:

I agree with your proposal, could you do me a favour and draft a new notice up? I'll proof it and put it in the sticky. Otherwise you'll have to ping me about it in the new year.

I will do so. I'll send you a draft by e-mail when I'm finished, though it could take a week or two (yes it is that busy part of the year again wink).

#5 2008-01-01 20:56:14

pressh
Developer/TU

I've send you a message by mail with a proposal for a new text.

#6 2008-01-02 15:51:44

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Yep, sorry I haven't confirmed it yet, I've been utterly swamped. My inbox has taken on a life of its own and I have yet to convince it that I am, in fact, the boss. ;-)

Dusty

#7 2008-01-02 16:45:57

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

make sure to use lots of calm assertive energy when speaking to your inbox dusty.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#8 2008-01-02 18:18:19

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

Mr Green

#9 2008-01-02 23:45:23

pressh
Developer/TU

Mr Green wrote:

that is actually quite usefull smile

#10 2008-01-05 04:28:17

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Mr Green comes up with a useful post? 2008 is a wonderful year indeed. :-)

Ironically, this happens to be very similar to the way I do manage my e-mail inbox. But it started to struggle and fight back and only today did I begin to reassert my despotic control.

Thanks for the guidelines pressh, they're now posted here:

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 86#p313586

Board footer