You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-21 20:07:01

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

F@H Arch Linux Team - Recruitment & Stats thread - HELP US !.

Time to try to recruit more help for the Arch Linux F@H team. Currently #133 of 163389 we are slowly moving up the ladder, we need YOUR help big_smile  One machine or a hundred, they all help us move up the ladder and it's for a good cause !!

Folding@home is a distributed computing project -- people from throughout the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer takes the project closer to our goals. Folding@home uses novel computational methods coupled to distributed computing, to simulate problems millions of times more challenging than previously achieved.
What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease?
Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences, including many well known diseases, such as Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers and cancer-related syndromes.

Quick Links:
F@H Arch Linux Team Stats Page
F@H Arch Linux Wiki Page
F@H Arch Linux Stats page on extremeoverclocking.com
F@H Arch Linux Stats page on kakaostats.com

Folding @ Home - Stanford.edu (HomePage)
Client Download Page

Some of the familiar groups that we are competing against:
as you can see, we ARE moving up, but need YOUR help to get ahead of them lol

On 12-7-2007
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
39      Gentoo Linux Users Everywhere
96      TeamUbuntu
107      Team Firefox
141      KnoppMyth
175      Centos
186      FedoraFolders
241      The PCLinuxOS Folding Team
276      Arch Linux
435      LinuxQuestions.org
491      openMosix

Now on 12-21-2007
41      Gentoo Linux Users Everywhere #11298
97      TeamUbuntu #45104
111      Team Firefox #39299
143      KnoppMyth #50975
179      Centos #48721
188     FedoraFolders #37988
234     The PCLinuxOS Folding Team #50619
267    Arch Linux #45032
441      LinuxQuestions.org #12776
501     openMosix #12355

Wow... moved up alot over 2 years !!! smile
On 08-16-2009
60       Gentoo Linux Users Everywhere
78       TeamUbuntu
133      Arch Linux
164      KnoppMyth
172      Team Firefox
178      The PCLinuxOS Folding Team
259      FedoraFolders
264      Centos
857      LinuxQuestions.org
1215     openMosix

How do you join our team ? It's EASY smile
F@H Arch Linux Wiki Page has some great info on this, or you can simply download the client from it's homepage.

F@H on a 32 BIT machine
This is how I do it as a normal user in a terminal:

mkdir FAH ; cd FAH
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.02-Linux.tgz
tar xvf FAH6.02-Linux.tgz
chmod a+x *
./fah6 -configonly
screen ./fah6 -verbosity 9

Note: important parts of setup are:
User name [Anonymous]? Your_user_name
Team Number [0]? 45032

You will notice I use the "screen" command, it allows me to start the client and leave it running.... the commands for leaving it are CTRL+a+d , to "reattach" to the screened session is screen -r  (man screen for more details if needed).  After exiting screen, I "watch" the clients progress in realtime with tail -f FAHlog.txt

F@H on 64 BIT machines
Here is a "repost" of some good installation instructions for 64bit systems from pudge:

Pudge wrote:
alexmat wrote:

Please post your results, I would be very interested in getting the SMP client setup.

Also, a nice package wouldn't hurt cool

In my case, I run all my folding computers at home, and it's just me and my wife.  So the computers are running in a trusted environment.  As such, I just manually start the client in a Gnome terminal window on desktop #4 and leave my computer logged in all the time.  When I need to log out of my Gnome session, reboot, or stop my computer, I get into Desktop #4 and enter Ctrl-C to stop the client.  This is the simplest way to run the client and works for me.  When you use the client like this, a package isn't necessary.

Just download the Linux x86-64 only SMP client version 6.24  http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou … -Linux.tgz into a folder in your home directory.  Use the tar command to untar the file, and you end up with two files named "fah6" and "mpiexec".  This is the first Linux client that requires a passkey.  Go to http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py to get a passkey E-mailed to you.  Once you get the passkey, get into your folding directory and as a user enter:

$ ./fah6  -configonly  -smp

Answer the questions to configure how your client will run.  If you have never run folding at home before, you need to choose a user name.  Go to http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai … =userstats and using the "is exactly" option or the "is like" option enter your chosen user name in the search box and see if someone else is already using that name.  Keep trying user names until you find one not in use.  Enter your user name.  The Arch Linux team number is 45032 so enter that for the team number.  Enter the passkey that Stanford E-mailed you.  I recommend the following for these questions:

User name [Anonymous]? Your_user_name

Team Number [0]? 45032

Passkey []? XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Ask before fetching/sending work (no/yes) [no]?    no

Use proxy (yes/no) [no]?    no

Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units  may have large memory demands)
 -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and  'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [normal]?   big

Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]?   yes

Core Priority (idle/low) [idle]?  idle

Disable highly optimized assembly code (no/yes) [no]?   no

Interval, in minutes, between checkpoints (3-30) [15]?   15

Memory, in MB, to indicate (1885 available) [1885]? 1885

Set -advmethods flag always, requesting new advanced
  scientific cores and/or work units if available (no/yes) [no]?    yes

Ignore any deadline information (mainly useful if
 system clock frequently has errors) (no/yes) [no]?   no

Machine ID (1-16) [1]? 1

That's it, you are now configured.  Now that it is configured, enter:

$ ./fah6 -smp

and you are off and running.  Just remember to use the -smp flag when starting the client, and remember to use Ctrl-C to stop it.

dmartins wrote:

I have noticed that the SMP client works much better on a linux dual core system than it does on a windows system with similar specs.

I agree totally with that.

Btw, Pudge: You seem to be way out in front of everyone else in points per day. I was wondering what machines you have churning away. Perhaps a PS3 in the mix? I have read they can pump out some serious GFLOPS.

No, I don't have a PS3.  Here's what I have churning away.

Four SMP clients on AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processors running Arch 64 bit.
One SMP client on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor running Windows XP
Three regular clients (non SMP) on AMD Athlon XP single core processors running i686 Arch
One regular client (non SMP) on an AMD Athlon XP single core processor running Windows XP

The vast majority of my points come from the 5 SMP clients.  It's absolutely amazing how fast the SMP client can finish the work units!
If you have a dual core processor, I highly recommend running a single SMP client as opposed to running two regular clients.

EDIT:  I forgot to mention.  To run the Linux X86_64 SMP client Version 5 beta, you needed some 32 bit libraries loaded.  I just loaded all the 32 bit libraries listed in the installing Flash on Arch64 Wiki and it worked.  When I went to the Linux X86_64 SMP client Version 6 beta 1, I just left the 32 bit libraries in place as I am using them for nspluginwrapper anyway.  So, I have not tested whether the Linux X86_64 SMP client Version 6 beta 1 still needs the 32 bit libraries or not.

Pudge

I hope you will all join in the fun.

Post Updated

08-16-2009 Updated Stats/dowload urls.

Last edited by crouse (2009-08-17 16:08:57)

#2 2007-12-21 21:46:20

sm4tik
Website

Re: F@H Arch Linux Team - Recruitment & Stats thread - HELP US !.

Moreover, when proteins do not fold correctly (i.e. "misfold"), there can be serious consequences

I'm sorry for this one, I DON'T, really DON'T wan't to be the troll here, but isn't this kind of a thing that goes to the ethical part of thinking of life..? I mean, Why do they even "misfold"? Is gene manipulation the way to go? And so on..Blahblah you've all heard all this blah before but still.
One thing I _can_ say from the bottom of my heart is:
Don't join just because of arch stats but join if, and ONLY if you know WHY.. (as in what are the main things to cause this "misfolding" in farms and so on.)
My point here is. If F@H truely is Your thing, I've nothing against it, but rather than just "signing the paper", people PLEASE don't just sign..
While writing this, I just found this if anyone's interested smile

Last edited by sm4tik (2007-12-21 22:02:07)

#3 2007-12-22 02:17:36

crouse
Website

Your link leads to organic farming....... which I'm pretty sure is not the topic at hand, perhaps you didn't read up on F@H yourself ? I won't go into the troll part, as I believe everyone has a right to their opinion, but perhaps in a different thread...It wouldn't have seemed so "trollish" as you put it.

If you want the science part......
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Science
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Papers
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Awards

When proteins misfold, they can clump together ("aggregate"). These clumps can often gather in the brain, where they are believed to cause the symptoms of Mad Cow or Alzheimer's disease.

If they solve the above, I would personally be proud to have helped.

Who "owns" the results? What will happen to them?
Unlike other distributed computing projects, Folding@home is run by an academic institution
(specifically the Pande Group, at Stanford University's Chemistry Department), which is a nonprofit
institution dedicated to science research and education
. We will not sell the data or make any money
off of it. Moreover, we will make the data available for others to use. In particular, the results from
Folding@home will be made available on several levels. Most importantly, analysis of the simulations
will be submitted to scientific journals for publication, and these journal articles will be posted on the
web page after publication. Next, after publication of these scientific articles which analyze the data,
the raw data of the folding runs will be available for everyone, including other researchers, here on
this web site.

Alot of stuff like : http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Papers#ntoc3

SUMMARY: These first results describe work we've been doing to study membrane fusion, the process by which two lipid membranes become one. This process is critical to proper functioning of the cell and also phenomena such as neurotransmission and infection by many viruses. We are seeking to understand how membrane fusion works so that we can eventually manipulate it. We hope such an understanding will lead to the development of new and more effective drugs to combat viral infection and treat neurologic diseases.

#4 2007-12-22 09:21:36

AlexW

It's nice to see the time I put into getting that wiki page up and running is paying off! It's also nice to see a push being made to get more people folding, nice one crouse big_smile

#5 2007-12-22 11:33:18

Lifty

I'm in! smile I joined the team yesterday and I'm currently at 7% of my first WU. I think beside of the good deed its also some kind of PR work for Arch.

#6 2007-12-22 12:59:32

wuischke

Hi,

I installed fah-smp today and joined the arch team. But there seems to be an issue when running fah as user: the daemon complained that it couldn't execute "./mpiexec", which I solved by creating a symlink to ../mpiexec. Is this only because it was not in $PATH or should this be added to the package?

#7 2007-12-22 13:37:59

sm4tik
Website

@crouse
I don't like forums because people are not face to face. It's very hard to make a point this way and to be understood correctly. I too would be very proud too to have helped in such cases as mentioned. I personally just don't see gene manipulation as a solution, but more of a work around. But what ever the case, I appreciate Your way of Helping!

@AlexW
Wiki pages are always appreciated!

One thing I didn't mention.. I was surprised to see so many Arch people being active with such a project. So whether it's F@H or some other way you're willing to help, Keep It Up!

#8 2007-12-22 14:34:04

dmartins

wuischke wrote:

Hi,

I installed fah-smp today and joined the arch team. But there seems to be an issue when running fah as user: the daemon complained that it couldn't execute "./mpiexec", which I solved by creating a symlink to ../mpiexec. Is this only because it was not in $PATH or should this be added to the package?

How exactly did you run the client?

On another note, maybe someone would like to make a "F@H Team Arch" logo for use as a forum avatar? I will play around with inkscape today and see what I can come up with but graphics aren't really my department smile

Last edited by dmartins (2007-12-22 14:37:27)

#9 2007-12-22 16:32:57

Pudge

I have been folding and involved with other Forums who have had folding teams for quite some time.  Sooner or later, non folding members and the folding enthusiasts of the forum get involved in "discussions" about the merits of folding.  This behavior on another forum is exactly why I now fold for Arch Linux.  It got so nasty it literally drove me away.

In contrast, the discussion in this thread is by FAR the most civil and adult discussion on the subject that I have seen.  The quality of the Arch Linux distribution and the quality of the people in the Arch forums are the two big reasons why I am proud to be an Arch user.

I thank everyone who participates in the Arch Forums,  give yourselves a pat on the back for the quality of the threads presented here.  I also thank everyone who participates in folding @ home for their philanthropic efforts.

Pudge

#10 2007-12-22 17:04:52

Pudge

@AlexW   Outstanding job on the Wiki page.  Thanks for your time and effort in putting that together.

Pudge

#11 2007-12-22 20:48:16

AlexW

dmartins
Just wanted to say thanks for the SMP client bit on the wiki. Because of it I've installed arch64 & the smp client and haven't looked back!

Pudge wrote:

@AlexW   Outstanding job on the Wiki page.  Thanks for your time and effort in putting that together.

Pudge

Thanks, it's nice to be able to give something back to the arch community smile

#12 2007-12-23 01:11:10

crouse
Website

Lifty, wuischke, big_smile big_smile big_smile  AWESOME smile

@AlexW , I concur, nice wiki page wink 

@pudge, I'm catching ya. (not really, but I am up to #45 wink  ) lol.

Glad we have a few more crunchers on board !!

#13 2007-12-23 07:43:51

wuischke

dmartins: I add the (existing low rights) user "guest" in /etc/conf.d/foldingathome-smp, start configuration and then the daemon by executing "sudo /etc/rc.d/foldingathome-smp start". Then there will be some messages telling me that it couldn't start ./mpiexec. Now, when I stop the daemon and create a symlink from /opt/fah-smp/mpiexec to /opt/fah-smp/guest/mpiexec and start f@h using above command it will start calculating.

#14 2007-12-23 15:25:15

crouse
Website

The Arch Linux crunchers are getting close to the 5 million mark !!!!   
Team rank:  263 of 92,348
Active CPU's: 178
Score:  4,834,544

#15 2007-12-23 18:30:21

alex_anthony

Can my PS3 join the team? It doesnt run arch, but I do...

#16 2007-12-23 18:39:38

smartcat99s

Of course the PS3 can join!

Running Folding@Home for Team 11108 - My Stats

#17 2007-12-24 00:47:18

aodhon

/me joins

#18 2007-12-24 00:57:49

crouse
Website

alex_anthony wrote:

Can my PS3 join the team? It doesnt run arch, but I do...

Let me know how that ps3 does wink  I may have to hijack my kids ps3 after christmas lol smile

#19 2007-12-24 04:10:30

smartcat99s

PS3's are known to do ~900ppd if folding 24/7

Running Folding@Home for Team 11108 - My Stats

#20 2007-12-24 04:30:31

crouse
Website

Nice, now i KNOW i'll have to commandeer his ps3 when he's not looking wink

#21 2007-12-26 05:07:53

crouse
Website

Finkregh, what are you running !!!!  ?????  Good grief, I'll NEVER catch you lol. 

On the plus side, I convinced my son to let me run F@H on his PS3  smile  Only when he's NOT using it of course lol ........... might have had something to do with the threat of blocking the PS3 at the router level from the net if he didn't MWA HA HA HA  big_smile ....... hmmmmmmm maybe he can convice his friends.........  wink

I'm @#38 now..... still climbing.... wink
The Arch Linux Team is now      261 of 92931  !

Last edited by crouse (2007-12-26 05:10:09)

#22 2007-12-26 08:22:07

Finkregh

crouse wrote:

Finkregh, what are you running !!!!  ?????  Good grief, I'll NEVER catch you lol.

16 Cores? big_smile /w 3733.81 BogoMIPS each

Last edited by Finkregh (2007-12-26 08:22:47)

#23 2007-12-26 14:20:51

crouse
Website

Nice........  Dual processor quad core Xeons huh..... wow smile I'm jealous.  smile

#24 2007-12-26 15:26:29

dmartins

wuischke wrote:

dmartins: I add the (existing low rights) user "guest" in /etc/conf.d/foldingathome-smp, start configuration and then the daemon by executing "sudo /etc/rc.d/foldingathome-smp start". Then there will be some messages telling me that it couldn't start ./mpiexec. Now, when I stop the daemon and create a symlink from /opt/fah-smp/mpiexec to /opt/fah-smp/guest/mpiexec and start f@h using above command it will start calculating.

Looks like the script in rc.d should take care of that symlink. I posted a comment on the AUR page, maybe the maintainer will notice and update the script smile

#25 2007-12-27 15:06:26

crouse
Website

The Arch Linux Team is now  260 of 93342
4,954,667  Getting VERY close to the 5 million mark

Board footer