You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-22 11:41:46

borzo

Problem with firefox and gtk applications in KDE!

Hi there, i have my arch installed and it's great, i use kdemod that is quite perfect but i have a problem: all the gtk applications like firefox, eclipse, emesene and so on are terrible looking expecially the fonts. Here what I've done:

1) installed kdemod-gtk-qt-engine and configured to use qt theme and it's better
2) enabled fonts with antialiasing and hinting
3) installed fonts for lcd like cairo-lcd
4) installed microsoft fonts

But stille it's ugly and it's impossible to use the apps, here's a screenshot:
schermata1pybqPw.png

The point is that i can't use konqueror because i need some plugins like googlebrowsersync that doesn't exist for konqueror. And in other distros like n00buntu it works.

Thanks for your help!

big_smile

#2 2007-12-22 11:49:25

Mantaar

Re: Problem with firefox and gtk applications in KDE!

You can edit Firefox's font preferences in its font menu. Go to Edit->Preferences, choose 'Content' and in the font section choose 'Advanced'. Be sure to be on the 'Western'-Tab and adjust the fonts to your likings.

You can modify the GTK-theme by editing your ~/.gtkrc-2.0. You can a) use arch's gnome-theme packages or b) browse http://art.gnome.org. The files there come with a gtkrc which you have to include in your .gtkrc-2.0.

Here's my .gtkrc as an example:

gtk-key-theme-name = "Emacs"
include "/home/user/opt/gnome/share/themes/Clearlooks/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#gtk-icon-theme-name = "Nuovo"
gtk-can-change-accels = 1

binding "Pidgin-Enter" {
    bind "Return" { "insert-at-cursor" ("\n") }
    bind "<ctrl>Return" { "message-send" () }
}
widget "*pidgin_conv_entry" binding "Pidgin-Enter"

Note: on my arch-system I had to symlink ~/.gtkrc-2.0 to ~/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2.

Guy #1: I'd totally hit that.
Guy #2: Dude, I'd hit that so hard whoever could pull me out would become the King of England.
--College Walk, Columbia University (Overheard in NY)

#3 2007-12-22 11:51:55

borzo

I'd like to make firefox identify and choose the right font by itself...

#4 2007-12-22 12:12:53

Mantaar

Well, to be honest, I'm getting the same results over here on that site on both Kestrel and Firefox.
The site specifies <font face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" color="black" size="1"> - the size="1" looks suspcious, but adjusting minimal allowed font size didn't seem to help. All of those fonts are actually installed on my system, but both browsers (for some reason) seem to choose some non-antialiased font...

:-(

Guy #2: Dude, I'd hit that so hard whoever could pull me out would become the King of England.

#5 2007-12-22 13:10:48

Skylar

Well, I've just uninstalled msfonts - they looked very ugly (no AA) everywhere. Firefox use what's available, DejaVu or whatever.

#6 2007-12-22 13:54:50

borzo

well but it doesn't solve the problem, i mean... my gtk apps are the same even in menus etc, they're ugly.

#7 2007-12-22 16:58:23

n8schicht
Website

Do you have this symbolic link?

/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf

It hast to point to:

/etc/fonts/conf.avail/70-no-bitmaps.conf

If it's not present (yet), create it, close Konqueror/Firefox and re-open them. Then you should have smooth fonts in websites that use Arial or similar fonts. It helped me with sites like yours, which b.t.w. looks like this for me:

Firefox: firefoxayw.png     Konqueror: konquerorc6b.png

#8 2007-12-22 17:30:09

Mantaar

@n8schicht:
No luck. Try going to http://www.macitynet.it/macity to see the problem in its full glory. The starting page you made a screenshot of runs fine on my system, too, but this sub-page doesn't.

#9 2007-12-22 17:59:29

n8schicht
Website

Well, neither in Firefox nor in Konqueror does this website look half as weird as it does in your browser.

Firefox: firefox3l5.png     Konqueror: konquerorzxh.png

You metioned that you uninstalled the MS-CoreFonts. Maybe you should reinstall them, at least I have them installed on my system.
I also have set the desired fonts in Firefox and Konqueror to DejaVu Sans, but the website should take whichever font it needs.

I can't recall having changed something else...

One question though: If you visit http://aur.archlinux.org do you have scrambled looking fonts there, too? I had them, until the day I created that symbolic link I mentioned above. Since then those fonts also are smooth...

#10 2007-12-23 19:03:04

Bestiapeluda

install some gtk-engines and themes and
play around with gtk-chtheme

#11 2008-03-06 13:00:40

pelle.k

I can relate to what borzo is saying, because i have exactly the same problem.
See, i have installed libxft-lcd and enabled antialiasing and sub-pixel hinting in kde font properties. All kde fonts look great. Now, i usually the exactly the same in gnome "Appearance" font settings (when i use gnome).
The thing is when you have KDE installed you can't set antialiasing and sub-pixel hinting for *GTK* apps, even if you can set a theme and font size with gtk-chtheme/.gtkrc

This has nothing to do with how firefox renders fonts, really, but how GTK fonts a drawn in KDE since gnome-settings-manager isn't running, and thus GTK apps get crappy fonts (including firefox html rendering).

So, how can i enable antialiasing and sub-pixel rendering specifically for GTK apps in KDE without running gnome-settings-manager?

"Your beliefs can be like fences that surround you.
You must first see them or you will not even realize that you are not free, simply because you will not see beyond the fences.
They will represent the boundaries of your experience."

SETH / Jane Roberts

#12 2009-02-22 07:29:06

blackhole
Website

pelle.k wrote:

I can relate to what borzo is saying, because i have exactly the same problem.
See, i have installed libxft-lcd and enabled antialiasing and sub-pixel hinting in kde font properties. All kde fonts look great. Now, i usually the exactly the same in gnome "Appearance" font settings (when i use gnome).
The thing is when you have KDE installed you can't set antialiasing and sub-pixel hinting for *GTK* apps, even if you can set a theme and font size with gtk-chtheme/.gtkrc

This has nothing to do with how firefox renders fonts, really, but how GTK fonts a drawn in KDE since gnome-settings-manager isn't running, and thus GTK apps get crappy fonts (including firefox html rendering).

So, how can i enable antialiasing and sub-pixel rendering specifically for GTK apps in KDE without running gnome-settings-manager?

I know this is an old thread, but I'm still having exactly the same problem. I've been fiddling with fonts for a whole week now. Fonts in KDE apps look great, but crappy in GTK-apps like Thunderbird and Firefox. Like Pelle asked: how can I set aintialiasing and sub-pixel redndering for GTK apps? When running Gnome the fonts in GTK-apps look so much better. I wanna use my shiny new KDE 4 desktop, though. sad

Coming closer and closer to the ultimate goal: replacing boring old Windows XP desktop with shiny new Arch KDE 4 desktop. ^^
Already registered? Your vote counts!

Board footer