You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-23 20:17:20

im_ka

network configuration upon install?

i know it has been said many times that arch is a "technical" distro with no hardware detection upon install, however...

_imho_, it would be nice if the user could only easily setup (read: not having to edit config files) the internet connection when installing arch. then the user could immeadiately acces the wiki/forum/irc to get the rest (sound, video, etc.) working.

i added this as a feature request to the bug-tracker.

opinions :?:

#2 2004-04-23 21:52:58

kakabaratruskia

Re: network configuration upon install?

I think the user could read, and maybe print the install guide, and know which is his network module. I don't think it needs config utils in the install script.

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

#3 2004-04-23 22:51:43

wakeupbomb

well I voted for no as I think the docs expain it well enough
but obviously yes will win

#4 2004-04-24 00:26:37

ganlu

We very likely should have two installer or two kinds of installation process, one for experienced user(simple/manual mode), the other for the newbies or the "lazy"(automatical mode)-ha ha-,

#5 2004-04-24 02:32:07

wakeupbomb

As far as I can tell as soon as you start automating too much stuff you tend to get alot of problems
And if you keep it the manual way then if something goes wrong along the way you have a good idea on how to fix it. imo

#6 2004-04-24 07:01:05

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I voted No because it is not that difficult to get working (when you remove ! from gateway  smile )

By keeping installer lean & mean you get up & running quicker

You learn very quickly about your system (& Linux)

No if you want to have network set up for you then install Mandy or Suse,but you may find that it still does not work if your card/modem/router/LAN etc is not supported

Then you are back to square one CLI !

Mr Green

Mr Green

#7 2004-04-24 15:53:37

srey

I voted no.   This is similar to Eugenia's request in Bug Tracker to have hotplug loaded by default, which I also opposed.  Judd agreed and closed it.

There are plenty of distros out there that do this type of automatic detection and setup for the user.

Let's keep Arch simple.  Arch users should know how to configure their network by hand, and if they don't, they should not use it, or do their homework first.  We all know this forum will help anyone who asks for it, there's no need to mess with the installation script.

Arch 0.6 - Kernel 2.6.5 - Fluxbox 0.9.8

#8 2004-04-25 03:11:07

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

In AL-AMLUG live CD there is one icon detecting hardware and configuring the network automatically. No doubt its a very handy tool, especially if the CD is used often and users don't want to configure each time manually. But if used only for the sake of "being handy", the user(s) will miss the learning how Arch system works.

The tool will not be removed, but in version 0.5 a text box will appear describing what the auto config does for users to have an idea what's going on.

In this poll I have voted no.

Markku

Board footer