You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-24 11:40:25

Thikasabrik

Gnome default settings screwed?

This morning I started up gnome to find that a bunch of settings had become 'un-set'. The gnome menu had no icons in, and the mouse preferences double-click speed won't change properly. Also, the double-click test image doesn't work. Also some of my epiphany settings disappeared. :shock:

I guess something to do with gconf got fudged, probably involving the xml and xslt packages that appeared yesterday (I don't think I had restarted X since installing those until today).

I have since tried creating a new user and starting gnome, expecting the useable default settings, but instead the icons are unset, the panel is empty and in the top left of the screen and there is no desptop background. If anyone else is getting this, please say so.

PS: it is also possible that the new ghex package is the culprit. I installed that thismorning before I started x..

#2 2004-04-24 12:14:45

Thikasabrik

Re: Gnome default settings screwed?

Ok..  :oops: I fixed it. I'd already tried nuking and reinstalling gnome and gnome extra once, but this time I made sure every package with files in /opt/gnome was gone and I reinstalled libxml2 and libxslt as well. I also made sure I installed gconf before anything else. Now all is nice... So I guess this post might have some value if anyone else gets a problem like this...

#3 2004-04-25 19:05:43

Mythoz

I have exact the same problem after installing ghex.

#4 2004-04-26 12:05:01

zezaz
Website

So did i :?

There must be something broken with this package. My main problem is that i can't restore my settings... For example, I can't change my background picture.

I believe this package has done something very evil to my setup.

#5 2004-04-26 16:19:29

Mythoz

Leave GNOME, uninstall ghex and try:

for schema in /opt/gnome/etc/gconf/schemas/*.schemas ; do
GCONF_CONFIG_SOURCE=`/opt/gnome/bin/gconftool-2 --get-default-source` /opt/gnome/bin/gconftool-2 --makefile-install-rule "$schema"
done

At first I also removed all directories and files in

/opt/gnome/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults

and

/opt/gnome/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory

but i'm not sure if it is necessary.

#6 2004-04-26 16:23:38

Thikasabrik

I have posted a bug report. Actually, I added this to  Task #825 — ghex bug     http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do= … ents#tabs). It seemed related enough to be one bug.

#7 2004-04-26 22:34:54

neri
Forum Fellow

Thikasabrik wrote:

I have posted a bug report. Actually, I added this to  Task #825 — ghex bug     http://bugs.archlinux.org/index.php?do= … ents#tabs). It seemed related enough to be one bug.

Hi, I hope that thing is fixed now. Pacman -syu should install a version with correct postinstall now. Sorry for the trouble. :oops:

bye neri

#8 2004-04-28 18:55:31

nordlicht

Hi

i have the same problem after installing ghex.

I tried the fix posted by mythos but it didn't work.
what else I can do to fix my gnome?

Board footer