You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-27 14:00:30

diogo.urb

[HELP] Pacman Repos not fuctional

Hi,
I'm new to arch linux but not to linux,
I've found interesting to give arch a try, people sad it was really fast
Then i've got the voodoo version, it's been a long
I've installed it but I couldn't be able to configure it I actually didn't know how
So I gave up

Now i've gave it a shot again, but since i'd the voodoo cd I thought i could install voodoo and just upgrade it
Right know today i've installed it and as people recommended i've just installed the base system
after installing i set the network and it worked just fine ( this time i learned how to). The i've tried to upgrade the system first to get the base system of Don't Panic, so I've set the /etc/pacman.conf just to enable the community repo and than i've tried pacman -Sy and pacman -Syu... it worked ok to get the database but then it asked if i wanted to upgrade pacman first, of course i said yes, but it said thad libarchive and another file were needed and were not in the sync db

So i've tried changing in /etc/pacman.conf the current to core
same error...

I've tried also to just do pacman -Suyf and nothing and then pacman -Suyd and it just started to try to upgrade the pacman but it couldn't get the file from de repositories (any repository i used did the same error). I wanted to know what the hell was going on so i went to the repository and i found the wrong part that were almost making me get rid of arch.

In the current repo the files have -686.pkg.tar.gz in the end but the current.db.tar.gz had no -i686 on the files and when i tried pacman -Syud again i realized that it were trying to download the pacman*.pkg.tar.gz without the -i686. so it kept failing and the problem is for every package in the current repos and some in the extra and some in the testing...

So can anyone tells me if it's a common problem of arch linux or if it's a problem in some repos (of course that I've tried like 15 repos butnot all of them) and can some one explain me if the depedency problem is linked to the broken db.tar.gz files?

Or is this a problem on my pacman version that has been modified and i have and elder pacman so if i download the Don't Panic I'm not going to have any troubles.

Sorry for my english (not a native speaker)
___________________________________________________________________________________________
Should I give up on Arch Linux? I thought it could be a good plataform but now i'm concerned

Thanks.

#2 2007-12-27 14:30:02

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

Re: [HELP] Pacman Repos not fuctional

Try running

pacman -Sy pacman

#3 2007-12-27 14:49:52

diogo.urb

I did pacman -Sy pacman and i said:

Targets: libarchive-2.4.0-2 libdownload-1.1-4 pacman-3.0.6-2

Total Package Size: 1.2 MB

Proceed with upgrade? [Y/n] Y

:: Retrieving packages from current ... (same error if i change currento to core)
warning: failed to get filesize for libarchive-2.4.0-2.pkg.tar.gz

faild downloading libarchive-2.4.0-2.pkg.tar.gz from ftp.heanet.ie: 550 libarchive-2.4.0-2.pkg.tar.gz: No such file or directory

then i tried to do the sortmirror thing it said i had to have netselect first so i did pacman -Sy netselect and as it is from extra it installed perfectly than i did the sormirror and the same error.

i went to the mirror i'm using and there there isn't a libarchive-2.4.0-2.pkg.tar.gz but there is a libarchive-2.4.0-2-i686.pkg.tar.gz

sorry but as my arch linux is not with a graphical interface i'm having to write the outputs by hand on the other pc

#4 2007-12-27 15:39:19

byte

The Pacman on your old install cd doesn't know about the new filename scheme for packages, that's the whole issue.
I'd say, forget Voodoo and get the latest ISO from ftp.archlinux.org/other/rc-iso/ ... but if you so insist: get libarchive, libdownload and pacman from a mirror and install them locally with pacman -U. After that everything should function as expected.

#5 2007-12-27 15:39:58

diogo.urb

Solved it

It seems that arch voodoo comes with the pacman 2.9.8 and that the repositories changed their layout since the version 3.0.0 or something like that so i looked at google and found that i could download the files and install them by hand with the command:

pacman -U http://ftp.belnet.be/packages/archlinux … pkg.tar.gz

now it's working normally i'm going to do the pacman -Syu and then install xorg.

Thanks for the replies

Last edited by diogo.urb (2007-12-27 15:42:29)

#6 2007-12-27 15:41:36

diogo.urb

As brazilian says

VALEU MANO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Board footer