You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-30 14:50:27

Bysshe

Arch Linux and Bluetooth

Are there any plans for arch to support newer versions of bluez-libs bluez-utils, etc?  I assume there must be a reason the packages appear to be somewhat out of date.   Just checked to be sure they were flagged, also. 

Not trying to make it into an "are we there yet?" thread.  It just appears we (or somebody down the supply chain) are gradually dropping support for  bluetooth wireless, by looking [here] and seeing were are really [here]. LOL.  No other hard evidence.  The recurring theme being devices either don't stay connected, or cannot reconnect automatically on reboot. 

The latter being the problem that stumped me.  Of course, I'm easily stumpable.  The wiki and config files don't seem to be of any help.

Hehe, and I figure something really got to be up if the AUR doesn't even have bluez-libs, bluez-utils anywhere in it.   Which is way out of my league from the start anyway.

#2 2007-12-30 15:16:11

ProzacR

Re: Arch Linux and Bluetooth

You can still make packages by yourself and place them to AUR. There is noone to blame AUR: is alive just with work of ppl like you.  They create and they share.

And there is forum where you can ask new packages in AUR maybe someone will make work for you.

For me bluetooth works just fine.

Last edited by ProzacR (2007-12-30 15:17:31)

#3 2007-12-30 15:24:18

Bysshe

Why did you even post a response?  lol

#4 2007-12-30 15:26:25

tomk
Forum Fellow

We are not dropping support for Bluetooth. Packages can be out of date for various reasons, but the basic underlying cause is the demands of real life (work, study, family, other important stuff, etc) taking precedence over the unpaid voluntary work that we do for Arch Linux. The packages will be updated in due course. If you need the current versions in a hurry, learn how to use ABS (Arch Build System) and build your own packages locally.

Re the AUR, official packages are not permitted in the AUR. For more info on this, you could also read the AUR Guidelines.

All necessary info on ABS and the AUR is in the wiki.

Finally, if you are having a specific problem with Bluetooth, a thread on that problem would be a better idea.

#5 2007-12-30 15:46:24

Bysshe

Haha.  I respect you guys.  But you still crack me up.  okay, nevermind then.

#6 2007-12-30 21:02:48

Dheart

Well... you cannot demand the Developers to build packages as soon as they're out - they all have lives, they have things to do, etc wink

BTW it's extremely easy to build a newer package with the existing PKGBUILD - just download the official PKGBUILD and .install file (if present), change the version of the program in PKGBUILD, comment out the md5sum and there you go wink (I do the same with the wine package, since it's updated too slow for my needs - If that's the case with you - do the same with your the packages you need wink)

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#7 2007-12-30 22:38:55

ProzacR

Bysshe wrote:

Why did you even post a response?  lol

You do not want to talk to anyone else than this project admins. huh?

With this kind of talks and position you barely will get free help. Do not think that with GNU you have same 911 where everyone is rushing for help despite what you do or say.

Last edited by ProzacR (2007-12-30 22:39:25)

#8 2007-12-30 22:47:31

Bysshe

I'm not demanding anything from anybody.  I just think some things need to be looked at.  Personally, I think the documentation is incomplete.  But since I don't know how to make it work properly, I can't fix the documentation.  The feel I get from the things I observed is that bluetooth is obviously on the back burner.  And, it comes to no surprise to me at all that lots of people have it working.  My point is, somebody that wants to get certain things working  properly  (like a keyboard, for instance, so that it can be reconnected at next boot) for the first time in Arch really isn't likely to, because newbies don't know all the apparent secrets.

But if I do figure it out, I'll be back.  Oh yes, and it will be very dramatic.  lol 

not really.

But I did learn a couple things.  Aside from the fact that apparently I'm an asshole for trying to cover some of my bases.

#9 2007-12-30 23:53:28

tomk
Forum Fellow

Bysshe, apart from yourself, nobody said you're an asshole. ProzacR and Dheart took the time to give you their responses from a user's perspective, and I provided my view from within the dev team.

If we crack you up, that's up to you. If you have further reasonable questions, that's OK. I would, however, ask that you consider this: many Arch users, newbies and others, manage to get things working in Arch because they acknowledge that there is usually nothing Arch-specific required, so they make use of the wealth of information available on the net to resolve their issues.

And if I could expand a little on one of my previous recommendations, you have not yet provided any details about the problem you are having, preferring instead to draw spurious conclusions from the fact that the packages are out of date. I would strongly recommend that you start a new thread describing your problem in as much detail as you can manage. If you had done that in the first place, you might well have been given the solution by now.

Board footer