You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-31 01:23:47

MillTek

Bad pixelation when ripping a DVD

Hi,
I have a series of four DVDs I bought for my wife at Christmas. I have been using acidrip to rip them to my Hard drive as a series of AVIs and then I convert the AVIs to MP4s to put them on her Ipod. Each DVD has around 9 episodes of a TV show. All the episodes on DVD's 1, 2 and 4 worked no problem. Four of the episodes on DVD 3 are useless because of a really bad picture. (I've heard similar problems on fibre=optic TV being called pixelation).  The settings I used for acidrip are as loaded by Pacman, the defaults.
It's the AVI's that have the problem. Converting a bad episode to MP4 doesn't help.

What settings can I change to resolve my problem. The episodes play fine over a regular TV so I know that the issues is something to do with the way acidrip is set up.

Any and all help or suggestions appreciated!!!

Thanks.

#2 2007-12-31 19:02:51

Actium

Re: Bad pixelation when ripping a DVD

i had some serious trouble ripping some copy protected dvds directly (without reencoding the content) to my harddrive. i'm usually using

mplayer dvd:// -dvd-device /dev/scd0 -dumpstream -dumpfile dvd.vob

and in most cases this just works, but with some (probably copy protected) dvds i end up having pixel-salad (i dont know it that's what you're calling pixelation).
i found out, that to circumvent this problem (allowing mplayer a proper usage of libdvdread and libdvdcss) you need to unmount the dvd first.

try to rip the dvd with mplayer using the way i've posted above and make sure you have the dvd unmounted first. in case the result is still pixelated, i'm just out of clues.

i don't know if this helps you, but as nobody else seems to have an idea i just wanted to have it posted.

#3 2008-01-01 05:14:02

MillTek

Thanks Actium. I'll give this a try and report back!

#4 2008-01-01 06:10:01

MillTek

Hi Actium,

I tried your suggestion but all I got was a pixel salad of the studio's introduction clip.  Does anyone else have any other ideas??

Thanks

Board footer