You are not logged in.

#1 2007-12-31 04:10:44

mullman

[AUR] PgcEdit - The Swiss Army knife of DVD editing

PgcEdit is the Swiss Army knife of DVD editing.

PKGBUILD available at the AUR.

"PgcEdit is a DVD IFO and Menu editor designed to allow the modification of the navigation commands and parameters of an already authored DVD structure.
PgcEdit is also an excellent tool to learn how a DVD works, with his powerful Trace function.
Since v0.6.0, PgcEdit is also the first program able to burn a Double Layer DVD-Video on DL DVD+R or DL DVD-R, with an interactive interface (including a preview), to select the position of the layer break.
PgcEdit is free and open source (GPL license)."

pgcedit1.jpg

Last edited by mullman (2008-04-30 10:37:31)

#2 2007-12-31 09:30:10

Stefan Husmann

Re: [AUR] PgcEdit - The Swiss Army knife of DVD editing

Hello,

what do you mean when talking about a native build? Since the program is written in Tcl/TK and this is an interpreted language, it will always be as native as its interpreter.

#3 2007-12-31 15:05:18

Stefan Husmann

Well, i made the following PKGBUILD:

# $Id: pkgbuild-mode.el,v 1.23 2007/10/20 16:02:14 juergen Exp $
# Maintainer:  <stefan.husmann@t-systems.com>
pkgname=pgcedit
pkgver=r01z
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="DVD-Tool written in TCL/TK"
url="http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/index.html"
arch=('i686')
license=('GPL')
depends=('tcl' 'tk')
source=(http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/index.html#download/${pkgname}_source.zip)
md5sums=('a336bb846ff38f74cf2f84982ff4eaa6')
build() {
  cd $startdir/src/
  install -d ../pkg/usr/bin
  install -d ../pkg/usr/share/pgcedit/lib
  install -m755 PgcEdit.tcl ../pkg/usr/share/pgcedit
  cp -R lib/* ../pkg/usr/share/pgcedit/lib
  install -m755 ../pgcedit ../pkg/usr/bin
}

together with

#!/bin/sh
verz=`pwd`
cd /usr/share/pgcedit
wish PgcEdit.tcl
cd $verz

I can run the program with calling "pgcedit" and something opens that looks similar to your screenshot.

I cannot test it because my DVD-ROM is very old and cannot read the DVDs I have.

I must say that I seldom saw a piece of software which was so badly documented and mixed up files for Windows and Unix with so less care. I threw away half of the files. So not every function may work.

#4 2008-01-07 11:51:42

mullman

Wow! Thanks.

Could this be added to the AUR? Also, would this work on a 64bit Arch System?

Where would the "program with calling "pgcedit"" be stored?

Thanks again.

#5 2008-01-07 12:34:46

Stefan Husmann

mullman wrote:

Wow! Thanks.

Could this be added to the AUR? Also, would this work on a 64bit Arch System?

I cannot test but I am pretty sure.

mullman wrote:

Where would the "program with calling "pgcedit"" be stored?

Thanks again.

The program installs this to /usr/bin.
I think it is a bit early for puting this to AUR. Yet it has not been tested properly. But feel free to test it and put it ther if your tests do satisfy you.

#6 2008-01-22 04:42:26

mullman

Hi, a couple of things:
Will this work on a 64bit install?

Trying to use yaourt to install and get some errors:

==> Retrieving Sources...
-> Downloading pgcedit_source.zip
--14:22:42-- http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/index.html
=> `index.html'
Resolving download.videohelp.com... 74.54.88.114
Connecting to download.videohelp.com|74.54.88.114|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 53,461 (52K) [text/html]

100%[==========================================>] 53,461 --.--K/s

14:22:42 (13.08 MB/s) - `index.html' saved [53461/53461]

cp: cannot stat `pgcedit_source.zip': No such file or directory
==> WARNING: You do not have correct permissions to cache source in /tmp/yaourt-tmp-fred/aur-pgcedit/pgcedit
cp: cannot stat `pgcedit_source.zip': No such file or directory
==> Validating source files with md5sums
pgcedit_source.zip ... FAILED
==> ERROR: One or more files did not pass the validity check!

I fixed the URL in the PKGBUILD but then I get this:

==> Starting build()...
install: cannot stat `PgcEdit.tcl': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `lib/*': No such file or directory
install: cannot stat `../pgcedit': No such file or directory
==> ERROR: Build Failed. Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build pgcedit package.

Hopefully you can fix these problems. Thanks.

#7 2008-01-22 05:07:13

mullman

Also PgcEdit has been updated to v8.6 and the new MD5sum is 'fab080026402fcc9a31d86d26172b6ca'

#8 2008-01-22 05:23:38

mullman

I had a go at updating the PKGBUILD.
Can someone please test and/or comment on how this can be fixed? Thanks.

# $Id: pkgbuild-mode.el,v 1.23 2007/10/20 16:02:14 juergen Exp $
# Maintainer:  <stefan.husmann@t-systems.com>
# Updated by Mullman 20080122
pkgname=pgcedit
pkgver=8.6
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="The Swiss Army knife of DVD editing"
url="http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/index.html"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
license=('GPL')
depends=('tcl>=8.4' 'tk>=8.4')
source=(http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/$pkgname/${pkgname}_source.zip)
md5sums=('fab080026402fcc9a31d86d26172b6ca')
build() {
  cd $startdir/src/
  install -d ../pkg/usr/bin
  install -d ../pkg/usr/share/$pkgname/lib
  install -m755 PgcEdit.tcl ../pkg/usr/share/$pkgname
  cp -R lib/* ../pkg/usr/share/$pkgname/lib
  install -m755 ../$pkgname ../pkg/usr/bin
}

Last edited by mullman (2008-01-22 05:49:18)

#9 2008-01-22 05:26:32

mullman

After getting the package to work properly it would be great to get the Plugins installed and working.

http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/plugins/all_plugins.zip

INSTALLATION OF A PGCEDIT PLUGIN

To install a plugin, copy the .tcl file in the "plugins" folder created by
PgcEdit in his installation folder (for example, in
"C:\Program Files\PgcEdit\plugins".) Then restart PgcEdit.
A "Plugins" menu should be available, with a new submenu for the plugin you
have just installed.

Note: If there are several files in the plugins archive, copy them all in the
plugins folder, or read the plugin documentation or install file.

Have fun,
r0lZ

Last edited by mullman (2008-01-22 05:30:17)

#10 2008-01-22 11:25:51

judfilm

This looks like a great program, don't know why I haven't used it before. Have emailed the author and we'll see if we can get it all sorted. Thanks to everyone who has helped.

#11 2008-01-22 19:24:23

Stefan Husmann

judfilm wrote:

This looks like a great program, don't know why I haven't used it before. Have emailed the author and we'll see if we can get it all sorted. Thanks to everyone who has helped.

Great idea to contact the author. I think he develops using windows. The recommendations for external programs to use with pgcedit are all Windows-programs. Adding Linux programs with a similar task could be difficult, I suppose without digging deeper into the tcl-code.

By the way, there is a new PKGBUILD thanks to mullman's suggestions.

#12 2008-01-23 12:11:47

judfilm

Some info from the Author:

Honestly, I have never tried PgcEdit on a 64-bit system.  But, since PgcEdit is almost entirely made of Tcl/Tk source files, it should work if a 64-bit Tcl/Tk interpreter is installed on your system.

Currently, PgcEdit is mainly used under its wrapped form, but freeWrap, the tool I use to build the standalone executable, is only available for the 32-bit systems.  So, don't expect a standalone version.

Also, the preview runs only on 32-bit systems, and requires Wine under Linux.  Maybe Wine can run 32-bit apps under 64-bit systems.  Anyway, although not recommended, it is possible to use PgcEdit without the preview.

The preview has been adapted from the open source code of the old DVD2AVI program.  Unfortunately, the code is very complex, not documented at all, it uses calls to DirectDraw (although Jeanl has modified that part so that it can now be used without DirectX), and it includes some parts in assembler.  This is why it is probably very difficult to adapt it to 64-bit or to the Linux architecture.  However, in 32-bit emulation, it could work.  Honestly, I haven't tried it on a 64-bit computer yet.

Note also that the PgcEdit preview is not my own work.  It has been adapted by jeanl, the author of, ea, DVDSubEdit and MenuShrink, and I can't ask him to do things that he don't want to do.  (However, we have discovered recently that the code doesn't support MPEG1 well, and that might be an additional motivation for jeanl!)

The preview doesn't work at all on a Mac, including under OSX, and that's another point that should require our attention.  Also, ideally, the preview should be rewritten as a Tk library, to be fully integrated in PgcEdit.

Jeanl and I have tried to find better source code, but DVD2AVI was the easiest one to adapt, as we need to play very specific parts of the VOB, and show the cells in the right order (not always sequential.)  It is perhaps possible to adapt mplayer to do that, but DVD2AVI, due to its nature, was designed with that kind of feature in mind.

You can test the preview without PgcEdit.  If it works as a standalone app, it should work also from PgcEdit.  (BTW, it's why it is included in the source files archive, to reply to a criticism in the archlinux thread.)

The source code of the preview is available via my home page, and is in the "All Versions" folder.  Please let me know if someone tries to improve it.  Thanks!

#13 2008-01-25 12:37:03

r0lZ
Website

Hi, I'm the author of PgcEdit.

I'm very grateful to you for your attempt to do a standard package for Linux.  As you have guessed, PgcEdit is developed under Windoze, and although I have an Ubuntu partition to test it, I'm not a Linux guru, and I haven't tried to create any package yet.  I have requested some help on the Doom9 forum, but without success so far.

I agree that PgcEdit is not well organized to run under Linux.  However, many Linuxers have used it without problem, simply by copying the standalone executable in any folder.  You need write access in this folder the first time you launch it and after an update, as PgcEdit must extract some files in some sub-directories.  Of course, running the sources with wish (the Tcl/Tk interpreter) and wine (for the preview) should work also, and I have tested that method successfully.

I agree also that there are some useless files in the source archive, but they are useful for the guys who want to rebuild a standalone package, either for Windows or for Linux (for example to translate PgcEdit in another language.)  So, I had to leave those files in the archive.  Furthermore, the preview works well under wine, and IMO it must be distributed with the Linux version as well.  Anyway, saying that "I threw away half of the files" is, at least, an exaggeration.  To build a distribution package with the sources, you can safely remove mkisofs.exe and pskill.exe from the bin directory, as well as PatchFreeWrap.ahk, snack_list.txt, tclx_list.txt and wrap.cmd from the main directory.  All other files are needed.

I may try, with your help, to modify the way PgcEdit is organized, but I have to take into account that it must run under Windows also, and, as you know, under that OS, all files belonging to a program must be in the same directory.  I don't want to broke the Windows version (95% of the users!) just to be more standard compliant under Linux.  However, if you thing that some things must be modified, or if you need some info, feel free to ask.  Please use this thread, as I will not read the entire forum!  Thanks.

Oh, another thing: please forgive my bad english!  My native language is french.

Last edited by r0lZ (2008-01-25 12:39:18)

#14 2008-01-25 13:42:25

Stefan Husmann

Hello,

nice to hear from the author. I apologize for the statement of throwing half of the files away, indeed it was an exaggeration.

Personally I do not have any experiences with even using wine myself,  nor any experiences of building packages that use wine. What does the preview do?

If someone in this forum has experiences, help would be gladly appreciated. I have to use XP at work, but the last Windows I had on my own computer was Windows 3.1.

Under Arch, there is a certain packaging standard, that packages should follow at least if the goal is to get them into some of the binary-repos, where they get an bigger audiance. Such is, restricted to terms of directory structure in short words:

-put binaries (i.e. everything that can be called from everywhere in the system and  yields to som program get executed) into /usr/bin
-put all package specific config- or data files somewhere under /usr/share/$pkgname
-put librarys to /usr/lib (here we haven't any, have we?)

I tried to fulfill these points by putting all needed files to /usr/share/pgcedit, putting a small script to /usr/bin, which does nothing more than remembering the current directory, cd'ing to /usr/share/pgcedit and invoking PgcEdit.tcl from there. Maybe there are better ways.

The package should be able to download every file from somewhere, except small pathes or wrapers like my small pgcedit script. It is no problem to have more than one URL.

#15 2008-01-25 16:28:48

r0lZ
Website

The perview shows the video files (without the sound, sorry) and the same exe is responsible to save a still image in /tmp that is used as the background for the menu buttons viewer and editor.  Without the preview, it is very difficult to understand what is what only by seeing the main PgcEdit window.  It is therefore crucial.

Wine is a tool that emulates most of the standard Windows libraries and layers under Linux.  It's not an emulator, and you don't have to install Windows to use wine.  Many Windows apps can run properly under wine, although there are still some bugs and lacks, especially in the DirectDraw emulation.  It is sufficient to install wine to run the preview, and there is no need to configure it.  PgcEdit detects if wine is installed, and uses it when necessary.  Therefore, it is not absolutely necessary to install wine to run PgcEdit, but it's a very useful addition anyway.  I suggest you add it to the dependencies.  (Or, if it's possible, you can perhaps add a note to suggest to the user to install it.)

Your installation method is probably the best one!  Indeed, putting everything in a specific folder is certainly the easiest way to keep the current organization unmodified.  I'm not sure you need to cd to the PgcEdit directory, as the pwd of PgcEdit is normally where your DVD files reside.  Anyway, that doesn't matter.

I don't know if your script can pass its arguments to PgcEdit, but normally, it should be possible to associate the IFO, BUP or VOB files with PgcEdit, and launch PgcEdit interactively by double-clicking one of those files.  There is also a -e argument to pass the character encoding used by foreign systems.  It's necessary if there are accented characters in some paths used by PgcEdit.

There are no real libraries used by PgcEdit (mainly for compatibility reasons.)  The libs directory contains only PgcEdit specific libraries, written in Tcl, useless for the other apps.

The bin directory contains the preview exe (as well as mkisofs.exe, because mkisofs is not available by default under Windows, but you don't need it.)  It contains also a small tcl file used to verify if the binaries in that folder are up to date.

Currently, PgcEdit stores its setup files in ~/.pgcedit/  I suppose it's the normal location for config files created by the user.  Anyway, those files are created at run time, and are not included in the distribution.

Also, there is a semi-automatic way to download the updates, hardcoded in PgcEdit.  Of course, it doesn't use your package.  Maybe I will have to turn that option off, or remove it completely for your distribution.

Honestly, I don't understand what you mean in your last sentence.  What package?  What URLs?

#16 2008-01-25 21:29:31

Stefan Husmann

Well, the last sentence is not of highest importance. It would be easier to understand if you simply have a look at

http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … ns=&SeB=nd

especially on the PKGBUILD there. This is the format in which under Arch a package is distributed as long as it is not placed in some of the repositorys as a binary package.

It is simply a scriptlet, and the user downloads a small tarball, decompresses it, says "makepkg", and everything should work and he gets a binary package. This he can install using pacman, the Arch-packagemanager.

In the PKGBUILD there is a field "source=" whre we put in the files in the tarball and URLs to the Zips or tarballs in the net. makepkg does the crucial things (downloading, unpacking, placing it in a subdirectory and calling the build function.

#17 2008-01-26 10:45:45

r0lZ
Website

OK, thanks.

To reply to some of the remarks on that page, you can download the latest version of the source with the versiion number in the file name here: http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/versions/

Also, the last version number of PgcEdit is in this small file: http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/version.txt
I'm not sure you need it, but it's the way I have implemented to verify if a new version is available from within PgcEdit.
(The same file exists also on the mirrors, but unfortunately, the versions directory is not present on all mirrors, due to some disc space limitations.)

Let me know if you need another method.

For the plugins, I agree that they are not useful to everybody, and they should be available independently.  However, the experience has proved that most of the time, the users want them all.  It's why I have added the "all plugins" archive.  Currently, I haven't implemented automatic updates of the plugins, so I'm afraid there is no easy way to test if a plugin has been updated.

About the "couldn't read file "./bin/binversion.tcl": no such file or directory" error, I don't understand exactly what's happening.  Normally, this file should be present in the bin subdir, but should be accessed by its full path.  Seems that PgcEdit thinks that it is executed as a wrapped standalone executable.  Of course, that should not be the case.  I will verify that, and post a fix here...

I have also some newbie questions.  I would like to test your installation procedure myself.  Can I run the PKGBUILD script under Ubuntu?  What should I do before?  I suppose that I have to place the source files in a specific location.  Right?  Can I install PgcEdit under Ubuntu using your package?  Can I use or install pacman under Ubuntu, or do I need to install Archlinux?  In any case, can you describe briefly the procedure to install PgcEdit?  Sorry, but currently, my understanding on the procedure to install something under Linux is very basic, as I have only used the standard update and installation procedures of Ubuntu and RedHat yet.  :-(

Last edited by r0lZ (2008-01-26 10:48:20)

#18 2008-01-26 11:51:59

r0lZ
Website

OK, I've read my code, and I suggest this modification in PgcEdit_main.tcl:
Change

set config(apppath) [file dirname $scriptname]

to

set config(apppath) [file normalize [file dirname $scriptname]]

That line has to be changed in two different places (although, normally, only the second occurrence is executed when the source files are used.)

This should fix the "file not found" problems, and, I hope, also the problem with the preview, reported today by mullman.  I can't verify if that solves the problem, as I don't have the same configuration, so please let me know if it works fine.

Also, don't forget that you have to install wine to use the preview.

#19 2008-01-26 16:33:45

Stefan Husmann

r0lZ wrote:

OK, thanks.

To reply to some of the remarks on that page, you can download the latest version of the source with the versiion number in the file name here: http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/versions/

Thank you, I use this already.

r0lZ wrote:

Also, the last version number of PgcEdit is in this small file: http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/pgcedit/version.txt

The package won't look up there. To keep the package up to date is a task of the maintainer or the community.

I will put it to my bookmarks, though

r0lZ wrote:

I'm not sure you need it, but it's the way I have implemented to verify if a new version is available from within PgcEdit.
(The same file exists also on the mirrors, but unfortunately, the versions directory is not present on all mirrors, due to some disc space limitations.)

Let me know if you need another method.

If the User removes the package using pacman all files are removed which have been installed by the package. So if with an update of pgcedit there are additional files staying somewhere, pacman w'ont remove them.

Shortly, user driven updates from within an application only make sense if the user puts the aupdated and addtitional files into his home directory. I pgcedit of both system wide and user owned files?

r0lZ wrote:

For the plugins, I agree that they are not useful to everybody, and they should be available independently.  However, the experience has proved that most of the time, the users want them all.  It's why I have added the "all plugins" archive.  Currently, I haven't implemented automatic updates of the plugins, so I'm afraid there is no easy way to test if a plugin has been updated.

This has been done in the most recent package.

r0lZ wrote:

About the "couldn't read file "./bin/binversion.tcl": no such file or directory" error, I don't understand exactly what's happening.  Normally, this file should be present in the bin subdir, but should be accessed by its full path.  Seems that PgcEdit thinks that it is executed as a wrapped standalone executable.  Of course, that should not be the case.  I will verify that, and post a fix here...

The file was simply missing, the problem seems to be fixed.

r0lZ wrote:

I have also some newbie questions.  I would like to test your installation procedure myself.  Can I run the PKGBUILD script under Ubuntu?

No, the PKBUILD cannot be run without having a working pacman environment.

r0lZ wrote:

What should I do before?  I suppose that I have to place the source files in a specific location.  Right? Can I install PgcEdit under Ubuntu using your package?  Can I use or install pacman under Ubuntu, or do I need to install Archlinux?  In any case, can you describe briefly the procedure to install PgcEdit?  Sorry, but currently, my understanding on the procedure to install something under Linux is very basic, as I have only used the standard update and installation procedures of Ubuntu and RedHat yet.  :-(

No. It is not explained in two words.

Ubuntu and other binary distributions have a professional team doing nothing but packaging. They make packages in .deb format, you install it on an Ubuntu-system andall works (hopefully).

Arch is different. There are no professionals working for Arch. There are a couple of developers, who are maintaining the core Repository (only a very basic system, even without X) and the extra repository. These Repositories form the ofical Arch.

Then there ist another group, so called Trusted Users (TU). These are 25 persons. They maintain another repository Community for binary packages, and they maintain the AUR, whereto I put the PKGBUILD.

Here are only PKGBUILDSs no binary packages. As a User of Archlinux you have tools to make a binary package from these PKGBUILDs easyly. You download the PKGBUILD-tarball, put it somewhere, and say makepkg. Thats all. after makepkg finises, there is a binary packege.

I work on such a PKGBUILD. If there are enough users or we can convince a TU to adopt it, it can be moved to community, as binary package.

So Arch is on the one hand a binary distribution like Ubuntu (without the financial background), on the other hand more like Gentoo.

#20 2008-01-26 17:30:32

r0lZ
Website

OK, I understand better what is Archlinux now.  BTW, I have downloaded the core iso, and read some docs, but honestly, given the complexity of the install procedure, I'm not sure I will install it.  Anyway, seems you have sorted out all difficulties with PgcEdit.  Right?  I'm just wondering if someone has been able to run the preview successfully, after having installed wine.

To reply to your question, PgcEdit can be installed for the current user or all users, at least under Windows.  It doesn't create new files when the source files are installed, and I will try to use only the current files in the future.  However, PgcEdit creates the .pgcedit dir with its config files in the home of the user, and some tiny work files in /tmp.  Most of the temp files are deleted after use, but some remain.  They can safely be deleted manually.

Also, to create a SL or DL DVD-Video ISO from within PgcEdit, mkisofs must be available.  I suppose it is available under Archlinux, and that there are now good tools to burn double layer DVDs under Linux.  (BTW, when I wrote that part of PgcEdit, it was the first app able to place the layer break of the DL Video-DVDs at the right position, thanks to a complex formula and an hidden option of mkisofs.  Currently, under Windows, this part is outdated, as many other programs have implemented DL burning with the same options than PgcEdit.  I don't know if similar apps exist under Linux, but I suppose so.)

One last request.  Can you send me your launcher script?  I should be able to simulate your installation under Ubuntu, and somewhat test it.  Thanks in advance.
[EDIT] Sorry, I've found it!  Thanks anyway!

Last edited by r0lZ (2008-01-26 17:35:24)

#21 2008-01-26 20:18:27

Stefan Husmann

A short question: Should PgcEditPreview.exe go to /usr/share/pgcedit or in some of its subdirectorys?
(PgcEdit.tcl and PgcEdit_main.tcl stay in /usr/share/pgcedit )

EDIT: This question is implicitely answered by the entry in the AUR-package homeside. (Comment by: mullman on 20080126 [11:19:28])
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?d … 1&ID=14772

Last edited by Stefan Husmann (2008-01-27 11:36:31)

#22 2008-01-28 01:16:28

mullman

Preview now works - 32-bit.
Did generate this error:
Dialog box: "Error: bad window path name ".playersetup"

bad window path name ".playersetup"
bad window path name ".playersetup"
while executing
"wm geometry $w +150+50"
(procedure "::tr::player_setup" line 134)
invoked from within
"::tr::player_setup"
invoked from within
".mf.cf.trace.fl.mnu.setup.m_setup invoke active"
("uplevel" body line 1)
invoked from within
"uplevel #0 [list $w invoke active]"
(procedure "tk::MenuInvoke" line 50)
invoked from within
"tk::MenuInvoke .mf.cf.trace.fl.mnu.setup.m_setup 1"
(command bound to event)

At the time I was checking the Setup/Preview options
in Trace Mode (lower left on screen). Did a restart of the app and all seems fine now.
Also I saved a log but is nowhere to be found - changed to save in my home dir.

Is it possible to make PgcEdit appear in the menus (kde, gnome etc)? and also have the system icon appear in the corner of the app?
Thanks again for such a great program!

#23 2008-01-28 04:33:40

Stefan Husmann

That seems to me no packaging problem to me. Maybe I am wrong, but it looks like some TCL/TK messages. I do not know what a window path name is.

Did you look for the logfile under /usr/share/pgcedit and its subdirectorys?
If you remember some parts of the logfile-name, you can also use find / -name "{some_wildcard}" to find it (brute-force-method)

I think to make the program appear in some menus is to write a desktop-file. They stay under /usr/share/applications I think.

and also have the system icon appear in the corner of the app?

I honestly do not understand this. What is the system icon?

#24 2008-01-28 06:13:31

mullman

Correct not a packaging error - AFAIK; it is a report for r0lZ.
Did a brute force find and nothing - the error log is missing or not even created.
Can you write a desktop-file?
System icon - I meant the main application icon - it is a picture of a disc and piece of paper with a pen.

#25 2008-01-28 15:31:43

r0lZ
Website

The preview exe must be in the bin sub-dir.

The icon is Windows specific (although I have an image here for Linux, not used yet.)  As far as I know, under Linux, there is no way to replace the system icon of a Tcl/Tk program, at least when the source files are used.

It would be fine, indeed, to add PgcEdit somewhere in the applications menus.  I know that can be done under KDE easily with their menu editor, but I don't know how to do that under Gnome.  Anyway, IMO, that should be made automatically at install time.

The error is probably due to a little bug in PgcEdit.  It occurs probably if you tries to configure the preview immediately after having enabled it.  Right?  Anyway, I will have a look...

Last note: I have installed the PgcEdit sources under Ubuntu, using your startup script, and it works perfectly, including the preview under wine.  However, I don't like the fact that the pwd is changed by the script (as doing Ctrl-Z and typing fg in the console leave you with a strange path.)  The current beta works fine when you don't change the pwd (but honestly, I'm not sure v8.6 can support that without one or two modifications.)
Furthermore, currently, it is not possible to pass the path of the DVD to your script.  Therefore, I suggest using this modified script:

#!/bin/sh
wish /usr/share/pgcedit/PgcEdit.tcl "$@"

Honestly, I don't know if it is better to use "$@" or "$*" to pass the arguments, but you are the Linux gurus, not me!  ;-)
With that version, you can type the path of the DVD directory (including or not the VIDEO_TS dir), or cd in the dvd directory and type

pgcedit .

Last edited by r0lZ (2008-01-28 15:35:04)

Board footer