You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-04 15:15:31

m!cele

Screnn turns black while booting (using fb)

Hi all,

so far i read a lot but now i reached a point where i don't know how to go on.
since kernel ~2.6.20 i got the problem that the screen turns black when the machine (an IBM Thinkpad X30) is booting. This only happens when i try to use framebuffer on the console (so e.g. setting vga=773 option in grub). since i don't need x running all the time and don't start it automaticly on bootup. so i really would like to use a human readable resolution on the ttys.
i tried several kernel configurations but nothing works. the graphics chipset is an intel and i use the i810 driver module.
I have one old kernel (2.6.18-7) running with the vga=773 option which works setting the tty resolution right so, that the screen doesn't switch to a blank screen. but this is an old kernel image where i still use an initrd image while booting (grub line "initrd /boot/kernel26.img"). the regarding kernel parameters seem to be exactly the same compared with all my new kernel versions i tried so far (my actual kernel is 2.6.23.12).
i also tried to compile the fbcon as a module and load it manually using rc.conf, but also this doesn't change anything.

can anyone help me?! thanks a lot guys!

edit: maybe i forgot an important issue. of course the machine runs. if i login "blind" and type "startx" the x window system appears. and also if i remove the vga=773 i "see" the laptop booting. but this shouldn't be the solution!

micele

Last edited by m!cele (2008-01-04 15:38:59)

#2 2008-01-13 20:57:00

delphiki
Website

Re: Screnn turns black while booting (using fb)

This seems rather odd, but, maybe the wrong framebuffer module is being used because the scancodes for vga=??? that you're using seem plausible to work. Of course, the only way to check this out is to see if udev or the initramfs image is loading your mystery module to cause this to happen.

FYI as a suggestion, you could try out using different console fonts if the framebuffer does not work for you as intended.

All the best in finding the culprit :-)

Cheers.

Last edited by delphiki (2008-01-13 20:57:57)

Board footer