You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-04 21:41:53

bolero

soundblaster dissapeared - no sound

I recently just updated my Arch install. I had sound working before, but now it seems reference to my soundblaster Live! has dissapeared. the SND-EMU10k1 is lsited in my lsmod output, however when i use the Gnome volume manager, and go to file-> change device i see the following devices listed.
0) C-Media CMI8738 (ALSA)
1) booktree Bt878 (ALSA)
2) Camera (Alsa)
3) C-Media PCI (OSS)

i do have a USB web cam, a TV tuner and i have no idea what C-Media is, but SoundBlaster used to be one listed in that list. I am not sure how to get the soundblaster detected as the first sound device.

-Bolero

#2 2008-01-05 04:44:14

byte

Re: soundblaster dissapeared - no sound

Show your MODULES line from /etc/rc.conf. Putting snd-emu10k1 in that or moving it to the beginning should get it recognized earlier. You could also prefix unneeded sound modules with a ! to disable them.

#3 2008-01-05 10:05:00

azleifel

Re: soundblaster dissapeared - no sound

Now there's a coincidence.  This morning, for the first time since I started using Arch, the alsa module for my TV card loaded before the module for the sound card.  Result -> no sound.

I've resorted to the fix that I used when I was running Ubuntu and set the card order explicitly in /etc/modprobe.conf, like this:

# Specify order of sound cards
options snd_hda_intel index=0
options saa7134_alsa index=1

(Note that this trick is only guaranteed to be successful if each and every sound card is indexed and that "index=-2" can be used to just stop a module from stealing slot 0.)

After a reboot, I'm back in business!

Board footer