You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-05 01:56:38

JTD

Can I repartition my new install?

Hi.
After a 1.5yr hiadis from Arch, while using Ubuntu, I am now firmly back on Arch ground.
I installed Arch in a 'spare' 30Gb partition but didnot bother to subpartition that as I was just test driving Arch again.
So everything went into / and I have a swap partition from the Kubuntu install.
Now after configuring everything, getting it up and running with very little fuss, I love it just like I had before.
I actually 'enjoyed' configuring it using the command line as it helped re-enforce what I had learnt over the past year or so.
My question is this.  I would like to get a /home partition like I've always did whenever installing a distro.
Obvious I do not want to have to reinstall everything so is there a way to grab say 20gb from /root and make that my /home?  This would reduce root from 30->10gb.

Thanks in advance.

JTD

#2 2008-01-05 02:56:27

jacko

Re: Can I repartition my new install?

yes sir, there is, but depending on what FS u used there is different ways to accomplish it. If you are using ext3 then look for a guide on resizing ext3 partitions. But u will only need to do this if u don't already have another partition available. I personally find it ridiculous, I end up wasting more space this way and I never have a need to run two distro's with the same /home directory. But, that's just me.

Plus there are some other things u need to do, like edit fstab to mount the /home partiton, maybe some linking issues. Wasn't there a guide made by someone using ubuntu that made this very easy? I forget the web address though. I will have to think about this and get back with you. Till then maybe someone else will have better advice.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mo … gle+Search

take your pick.

Last edited by jacko (2008-01-05 03:00:28)

#3 2008-01-05 03:02:55

jacko

BTW, programs install to your root partition, so u don't wanna shrink it down to far or u will run into other problems when u try to install programs. One of the reasons I decided to not do this.

Also, when resizing partitions, DO NOT create a new FS on that partition. If u do u will lose everything that was on that partition. Trust me, I know from experience.

Last edited by jacko (2008-01-05 03:03:19)

#4 2008-01-05 19:30:35

JTD

jacko wrote:

yes sir, there is, but depending on what FS u used there is different ways to accomplish it. If you are using ext3 then look for a guide on resizing ext3 partitions.

Plus there are some other things u need to do, like edit fstab to mount the /home partiton, maybe some linking issues. Wasn't there a guide made by someone using ubuntu that made this very easy? I forget the web address though. I will have to think about this and get back with you. Till then maybe someone else will have better advice.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mo … gle+Search

take your pick.

jacko:
Thanks, found one and it turned out to be rather painless.

jtd

Board footer