You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-06 20:48:18

Grama

pacman segfault when installing nvidia

ok so i have been trying to reinstall arch linux on my comp for the last couple of days.... was testing some other ditros but got bored so time to come back to arch and so i completed an ftp install and issued pacman -Sy and got synched and then when i tried to pacman -S nvidia (i refuse to run xorg without the nvidia driver for my 6800gs card) i got a segmentation fault.  i thought maybe i screwged the install so i went ahead and reinstalled arch.... no luck.  so now pacman refuses to work untill i reboot.... so i do and then i think alright well i'll just pacman -S xorg and deal with nvidia when its fixed but for whatever reason it seems that xorg in extra is broken.... not all the packages downloaded.... and yes i have tried diferent servers.... i have run arch linux with NO problems in the past, what am i doing wrong? is the nvidia package messed up at the moment and should i download the one off the nvidia site or have i not confgured something right? hope you guys can help!

Grama

#2 2008-01-06 22:14:24

ralvez
Website

Re: pacman segfault when installing nvidia

Grama,

Try configuring Arch with vesa drives, that should work.
Then you can finish installing KDE or whatever DE you wish and finally you can go back and deal with the nvidia drivers.
I think that's the simplest way to get around the problem.

R.

#3 2008-01-06 22:19:59

Grama

ok but when i ran:

pacman -S xorg

some files were missing or unable to download or SOMETHING when i tried to install xorg last night.  and i am pretty sure it completely failed.... problem was i had already taken my sleeping meds and wasn't thinking clearly enough to write down the output before trying a reisntall tongue so ????? i will try again (btw its openbox) and we'll see i guess.

Grama

#4 2008-01-06 22:33:44

shining
Pacman Developer

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9024

As a workaround, try : pacman -S xorg-server nvidia nvidia-utils

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#5 2008-01-06 22:50:11

Grama

its ok i got it fixed.... i went to reproduce the pacman -S xorg failure and it happened to work so once i did that all i had to do was pacman -S nvidia openbox firefox and voila i am now posting

thanks for the help tho.... hopefully this doesn't affect any one else!

Grama

Board footer