You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-07 23:30:24

egates
Website

install with intel 82575EB gigabit ethernet

Hello,

I'm an experienced arch user but have never had to install on a computer with an ethernet that isn't automatically recognized.  I've done some searching and can't find the name of a kernel module for the intel 82575EB controller, but I have found this

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ … 3&lang=eng

Apparently it's the only gigabit intel controller that isn't supported by e1000...

The wiki says this under configuring network

Sometimes it's necessary to obtain a binary, proprietary driver from the manufacturer of your network card, and somehow manage to copy it to the installation system and load it manually. This is usually nothing for the faint of heart, and using a different model of network card is advised.

but leaves it at that.

Is there a kernel module for this controller?   (small update, ixgb, the module for 10Gb seems to be included, but not igb, the module for 1Gb)
If not, could someone explain how to get it up and running?

Thanks for your help,
-emg

update:
I think I'm on to something.  I'm going to try the core install instead of the ftp install.  Hopefully this includes base-devel.  In which case I can save the module tarball to a usb flash stick, extract, make, and insmod on the target machine.  Let's see if it works.

another update:
I got it to work.  After a core install I rebooted, built, and used the driver.  Still curious, is there any way to do something like that during an ftp install? or would I have had to build the driver on another machine, then copy that over?

Last edited by egates (2008-01-08 01:22:43)

Board footer