You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-08 22:38:10

colbert

Going to build new computer soon, user experience sought

Figured this is the right place to post this.

I am going to build a new computer in a few months or so, and I'm just curious from those of you who have "new" motherboards (p5k, ds3, maximus, etc.), a Quad Core CPU, nVidia 8800GT (or better) cards-- how is your compatibility/experience with linux (and preferrably Arch specifically) ??

Any tidbits and whatnot is greatly appreciated guys, I really want to get the new system right and not purchase something that linux won't get along with wink TIA!

#2 2008-01-09 00:51:27

ssl6

Re: Going to build new computer soon, user experience sought

far as videocards, they're all the same, nvidia has better linux support though

as far as quad cores or newer mobo's, im not too sure. my newest system right now is an AM2 x2 4200, falling behind a little. don't plan on going quad core just yet, i want to see what happens after a couple K10 revisions, i know they're yielding poor results right now. i want to see if any competition develops in that market too before i buy, only way to get a bargain big_smile

this is a signature

#3 2008-01-09 04:28:26

iBertus

I'll let you know tomorrow when my Xeon Quad-Core, 8GB of RAM and 8800GT arrive...

#4 2008-01-09 06:04:07

colbert

iBertus, that sounds awesome! Can't wait, please do update any and all experience you can as you set that beastiness up smile

#5 2008-01-09 06:06:30

jacko

iBertus wrote:

I'll let you know tomorrow when my Xeon Quad-Core, 8GB of RAM and 8800GT arrive...

I hope u have better luck then I have read reports on. AM2 boards and processors don't seem to be no where near up to par with the older 939's and one person even said that with the quad core he couldn't even play half the games he once did on a single core. Are these reports true, I dunno, but I gotta wonder why are such a horsepower driven system for a linux setup? I got a dual core and I feel like I am overpowering the OS. I am still trying to figure out ways to test the limits of my system. You got something special planned for this beast? I was assuming games since u are going high tech with the video card.

#6 2008-01-09 07:37:25

ssl6

^ ya, i've been running linux on my s939 X2 4200 and im more than pleased with how responsive it is compared to windows XP....let alone vista. im liking the not having to get a new crack for every program i update. i feel like i have an OS that knows how to use my hardware efficiently that i don't need the latest and greatest hardware

this is a signature

#7 2008-01-09 08:34:18

zenlord
Website

I installed Arch linux next to windows XP a month or three ago on a new budget system based around the G33-chipset, and Arch is really fast on it, even with a compleet Gnome running on it (users had never heard of linux before, so I gave them a rather full package). I don't even remember having to do much more than a pacman -Syu after installation of the base installcd and installing all necessary packages...

I'd go for P35 anytime (or rather G35 since I don't need that kind of 3D-power, so an x3500 is ample enough for me)!

Zl.

#8 2008-01-09 13:05:11

skottish
Forum Fellow

jacko wrote:

AM2 boards and processors don't seem to be no where near up to par with the older 939's

I'm on my third AM2 based Arch system, currently a dual core 6400+ on a Gigabyte GA-M55PLUS-S3G with 4GB PC4200 RAM, and the performance and stability is stellar. I agree that AMD's quad core desktop chips are poor performers compared to the Intel chips, and that may be what you're hearing about. That will change very soon.

Last edited by skottish (2008-01-09 13:07:45)

#9 2008-01-09 13:10:37

iBertus

jacko wrote:
iBertus wrote:

I hope u have better luck then I have read reports on. AM2 boards and processors don't seem to be no where near up to par with the older 939's and one person even said that with the quad core he couldn't even play half the games he once did on a single core. Are these reports true, I dunno, but I gotta wonder why are such a horsepower driven system for a linux setup? I got a dual core and I feel like I am overpowering the OS. I am still trying to figure out ways to test the limits of my system. You got something special planned for this beast? I was assuming games since u are going high tech with the video card.

It's a general purpose box for my thesis project (which requires lots of GIS-based hydrologic models) and maybe some gaming. I got the 8800GT because it seemed somewhat wrong to put a lesser video card in a system with 8GB of memory and a Xeon. Granted, it's a LGA775 Xeon and not one of the more expensive types, and I only got it vs. a C2Q due to pricing, but still. I later discovered that the Shuttle SFF mobo I'm using would have supported the QX9650 (~$1000 USD) but I don't have that type of money to spend on just a CPU.

I'll probably go out and get UT3 sometime just to see what the system can do. It may still have issues driving the monitor at 2560x1600 with any modern games. But, the 8800GT is the biggest card that'll fit in the SFF case.

#10 2008-01-09 13:45:15

jacko

quake 4 was the one that I read about. The gamer was fine running all the quake engine based games till he upgraded to the new quad core and then everything went to hell in a hand basket. Just FYI. your experience may change.

I'm on my third AM2 based Arch system, currently a dual core 6400+ on a Gigabyte GA-M55PLUS-S3G with 4GB PC4200 RAM, and the performance and stability is stellar.

I did not say they weren't stable, what I said was that there is reports that the AM2 does not compete on the level that the older 939 did. I run a 939 and quite honestly there is no AM2 system that u could give me, including a quad core, that would make me give up my 4200+ dual core setup.

#11 2008-01-10 01:12:27

byte

Newer AM2 setups have a bonus in terms of support for newer CPU cores, which draw less watts. You know, save the earth and all that... wink

#12 2008-01-10 03:47:51

jacko

byte wrote:

Newer AM2 setups have a bonus in terms of support for newer CPU cores, which draw less watts. You know, save the earth and all that... wink

less then 89 watts? I thought I was helping save the earth and all.

#13 2008-01-10 04:24:50

byte

#14 2008-01-10 21:20:15

colbert

iBertus, please report if you have all things working, on your experience with your new parts. And others!

#15 2008-01-10 23:58:49

KimTjik

A general advice I would give is to check what BIOS update utilities hardware manufacturers of motherboards use. Unfortunately some are making bad decisions, like making a so called Live-Update in Windows the only supported one. An update of BIOS could get necessary in case of a CPU upgrade.

AM2 slower or less responsive? I've never experienced that, and I've made quite many installs of Linux on a variety of 939 and AM2 systems. I've a nice little machine next to me right now, which I yesterday was messing around with. It's a F-socket one with two dual-core Opterons, which worked smooth as well in Linux. I'm more inclined to believe that the reported problems with AM2 systems was caused by less optimized chipset instead. Abit is quite good in improving their BIOS versions to support Linux better.

You got to be using really demanding applications, something beyond normal use, to see a noticeable difference in performance whether the choice stands between a possibly faster Intel or slower AMD in the same price segment. The same goes for dual- or quad-cores (I believe hardware is well ahead of software in this particular case). Games are usually what pushes a system to its limits, and if so a single Nvidia 8800 GT would hardly be able to make the CPU a bottleneck.

If you choose an Intel system with the idea of being able to maybe make a upgrade in the future, make sure you select a motherboard with the right chipset. Intel makes some good CPU:s right now, but they unfortunately keeps on making a lot of them incompatible with previous generations of chipsets.

Last edited by KimTjik (2008-01-11 00:00:35)

Board footer