You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-12 16:19:08

Vilkius
Website

Grub + Archlinux + Windows

Hello,

I have 2 hard drives. In Primary Master is Archlinux, in Primary Slave is Windows. When I select Windows on boot, it shows me an error about filesystem(error code 0x07). My menu.lst:

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda1 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

# (1) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux Fallback
root   (hd0,0)
initrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img

# (1) Windows
title Windows
root = (hd1,0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Could anyone help?

Last edited by Vilkius (2008-01-12 16:20:03)

#2 2008-01-12 16:33:39

SNP

Re: Grub + Archlinux + Windows

I *think* you need to have it like this:

# (1) Windows
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
#makeactive
chainloader +1

#3 2008-01-12 18:49:31

RabidWolf
Website

mine  [the "vga" part is optional, make sure you pick a resolution your monitor supports]
=============

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Duke KDE sda1
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda1 ro vga=795
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

# (1) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux Fallback
root   (hd0,0)
initrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img

# (2) Windows
title  WinXP Pro sdb1
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1
makeactive

I use sata drives, but according to the arch wiki, these same settings would also work in your setup(although you may have to substitute hda and hdb, not sure, haven't used ide drives in a few years), just type "dual booting" in the wiki's "search" field smile

Last edited by RabidWolf (2008-01-12 19:27:00)

#4 2008-01-12 19:08:24

Vilkius
Website

SNP wrote:

# (1) Windows
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
#makeactive
chainloader +1

I used this ant I got this error:
A disk read error occurred

I will try RabidWolf's suggestion wink

#5 2008-01-12 20:31:27

zenlord
Website

I have this:

title        Windows 2003
root        (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader    +1

My guess is you didn't set the correct path. If windows is installed on the first partition of your second hard drive, then it's set ok. Otherwise not.

Zl.

#6 2008-01-12 22:15:48

SNP

Try an fdisk -l as a su (it will list your hard disk drives) and check which one is your ntfs windows drive.

Then cross check with the device.map file in /boot/grub , is your windows device (hd1) and your linux device (hd0) ?

#7 2008-01-12 22:46:41

Vilkius
Website

SNP wrote:

Try an fdisk -l as a su (it will list your hard disk drives) and check which one is your ntfs windows drive.

Then cross check with the device.map file in /boot/grub , is your windows device (hd1) and your linux device (hd0) ?

Something wrong hmm

[root@myhome_linux vilkius]# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x6b0b20f6

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1        2490    20000924+  83  Linux
/dev/sda2            2491       19208   134287335   83  Linux
/dev/sda3           19209       19457     2000092+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

Unable to seek on /dev/sdb
[root@myhome_linux vilkius]#

What this could be? hmm

#8 2008-01-12 23:33:41

SNP

Unfortunately I don't  know neutral
You need some one more experienced to help here.

Maybe this is a good time to describe a little bit more about your system. Which did you setup first, windows or linux ? Did windows work okay before ? Did you do anything "weird" (copy the MBR from one disk to another e.g)?

Last edited by SNP (2008-01-12 23:34:20)

#9 2008-01-13 00:31:28

Vilkius
Website

SNP wrote:

Unfortunately I don't  know neutral
You need some one more experienced to help here.

Maybe this is a good time to describe a little bit more about your system. Which did you setup first, windows or linux ? Did windows work okay before ? Did you do anything "weird" (copy the MBR from one disk to another e.g)?

I've been using Windows in one hard drive for one year and now I bought new hard drive and installed linux. Windows worked fine before.. And now when I need files from Windows hard drive, I connect only Windows hard drive and I use it. I haven't do anything weird. Just installed Windows OS in first hard drive, used it and now I installed another OS in another hard drive. Thats it neutral

#10 2008-01-13 08:28:55

SNP

Vilkius wrote:

And now when I need files from Windows hard drive, I connect only Windows hard drive and I use it.

Could you explain that a little bit more? Do you mean that you access the window files through arch? Or do you disconnect the (new)160gb hdd and windows boots normally? I am guessing both hard drives are SATA right? Does Bios detect both hards drives ok?

#11 2008-01-13 12:53:19

jacko

SNP wrote:

# (1) Windows
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
#makeactive
chainloader +1

# (1) Windows
title Windows
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

u need uncomment the makeactive line as well. I am almost positive on that. I am also not sure, but do u need the map lines? Try the above code and see if that don't work.

Now to the other problem, how are your drives set up, U say primary and slave, well that would suggest to me that u got them hooked up as IDE drives with one cable? Or do u have two SATA drives.

If they are IDE and u are using one cable, make sure the jumpers and cable is set up properly. Read the information that comes with your mobo. If those are IDE and u don't have them setup right then arch will not get the correct information about your drives through the bios and things will not work correctly.

Last edited by jacko (2008-01-13 12:56:05)

#12 2008-01-13 15:14:05

nesrecar

rootnoverify (hd1,0)
chainloader +1

That's all you need.

Public Key 0x24685E35 available from any key server you trust.

IRC: ssimon/Nesrecar

#13 2008-01-13 18:26:26

Dheart

If you installed Linux on the second hdd and then Arch on the first your windows bootloader is probably gone. Why is that? Because Windows always installs bootloader on the first hdd. I had similar issue when I tried to swap the positions of Linux and Windows... and ended up swaping my hdds instead... I couldn't install Windows on the second hdd without a bootloader on the first... I think that's why you cannot boot win now...

My victim you are meant to be
No, you cannot hide nor flee
You know what I'm looking for
Pleasure your torture, I will endure...

#14 2008-01-13 18:54:34

Vilkius
Website

SNP wrote:
Vilkius wrote:

And now when I need files from Windows hard drive, I connect only Windows hard drive and I use it.

Could you explain that a little bit more? Do you mean that you access the window files through arch? Or do you disconnect the (new)160gb hdd and windows boots normally? I am guessing both hard drives are SATA right? Does Bios detect both hards drives ok?

I disconnect HD with Linux and then I use only one HD. My hard drives is IDE. Bios detects both hard drives.

#15 2008-01-13 18:58:38

Vilkius
Website

jacko wrote:

Now to the other problem, how are your drives set up, U say primary and slave, well that would suggest to me that u got them hooked up as IDE drives with one cable? Or do u have two SATA drives.

If they are IDE and u are using one cable, make sure the jumpers and cable is set up properly. Read the information that comes with your mobo. If those are IDE and u don't have them setup right then arch will not get the correct information about your drives through the bios and things will not work correctly.

Two IDE hard drives hooked up with one cable, Linux is Master, Windows is Slave. Jumpers is set correctly, I think... Linux is set up Master, Windows HD is Slave... When Bios loads, it shows what IDE devices is connected and BIOS founds both hard drives.

#16 2008-01-13 19:07:12

Vilkius
Website

Dheart wrote:

If you installed Linux on the second hdd and then Arch on the first your windows bootloader is probably gone. Why is that? Because Windows always installs bootloader on the first hdd. I had similar issue when I tried to swap the positions of Linux and Windows... and ended up swaping my hdds instead... I couldn't install Windows on the second hdd without a bootloader on the first... I think that's why you cannot boot win now...

Now everything looks like this:

Primary IDE cable -> -> -> -> Master: Archlinux HD (sda)
                            -> -> -> -> Slave: Windows HD (sdb)
Secondary IDE cable -> -> -> -> Master: CD/DVD Rom
                                 -> -> -> -> Empty

Before I bought new HD for Archlinux, Windows HD was master but now I changed it to Slave and Archlinux HD connected as Master. I installed Archlinux when everything was connected like now...

#17 2008-01-13 19:11:31

jacko

Vilkius wrote:
jacko wrote:

Two IDE hard drives hooked up with one cable, Linux is Master, Windows is Slave. Jumpers is set correctly, I think... Linux is set up Master, Windows HD is Slave... When Bios loads, it shows what IDE devices is connected and BIOS founds both hard drives.

can u move the other HD to the other master? then if u have a cd-rom or dvd-rom put that as slave device on the less used IDE device. I would attach it to the windows IDE cable as slave.

Also make sure the cable is attached right, if the cable has a blue connector that has to be connected to the motherboard then the furthest connector from that blue connector is the master connector, the slave is in the center. As far as I know thats how all cables are made unless otherwise noted on the cable itself.

Also, make sure u have drives setup as master and slave and NOT cable select. I have had problems with that myself. cable select seems to work for the bios, but not always the OS. Not sure why that is, but I have never used cable select jumper setting because of this problem in my experience.

is this computer a build it yourself, or a bought computer that u upgraded? If its one u bought and then upgraded the jumpers may very well be wrong.

If arch is not seeing the drive then u have a hardware hook up problem, I am almost 100% positive about that. I just don't see why arch wouldn't see the drive unless it wasn't hooked up right.

#18 2008-01-13 19:15:04

jacko

Vilkius wrote:
Dheart wrote:

-> -> -> -> Empty

Before I bought new HD for Archlinux, Windows HD was master but now I changed it to Slave and Archlinux HD connected as Master. I installed Archlinux when everything was connected like now...

try like I mentioned and make both HD's master and put cd-rom on the slave of the less used IDE device.

edit: in fact forget about the cd=rom for now and just hook up the two IDE drives as master and see if arch doesn't see it and then try to boot to windows with grub.

Make sure u have windows drive hooked up on the IDE bus 2! smile

Last edited by jacko (2008-01-13 19:16:13)

#19 2008-01-13 19:16:14

Vilkius
Website

jacko wrote:
Vilkius wrote:
Dheart wrote:

-> -> -> -> Empty

try like I mentioned and make both HD's master and put cd-rom on the slave of the less used IDE device.

OK. I will try this smile

#20 2008-01-14 12:17:10

Windows does not like to be slave. I'd put windows primary master, arch whatever else and install lilo / grub to the MBR of the windows drive

#21 2008-01-14 18:16:27

zenlord
Website

That could very well be it: if both HD's jumpers are set to master, then only the one on the far end of the cable will work. If you then disconnect the linux HD (on the far end of the IDE-cable), the windows-disk is master and will work. You can esaily avoid it by setting both drives to 'cable select'.

I had totally forgotten in this age of SATA, but I remember having had the same problem in my pre-linux-days...

Zl.

Board footer