You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-13 01:56:35

learntheblues

Strange lomoco behaviour

I have installed lomoco to configure my logitech mx518 to disable SmartScroll / Cruise Control & use the buttons as ordinary mouse buttons to bind for playing games.

I want to use a resolution of 800 dpi & have the two little buttons (scroll) above & below the mouse wheel not change the resolution,as they do atm but, but be binded to keys for playing games.

Without anything in my lomoco_mouse.conf my mouse will start in 800 dpi with the scroll buttons acting as resolution changing buttons, pressing the up arrow with increase resolution & the down arrow decrease

Heres my problem. If I use the following code in lomoco_mouse.conf I get the 800 dpi I need but the scroll buttons still change resolution up & down & aren't shown in xev as buttons.

# Begin /etc/udev/lomoco_mouse.conf

LOGITECH_MOUSE_RESOLUTION="800"
# Possible Resolutions Are: 400 800 1200 1600 2000

# SmartScroll/Cruise Control (SMS command set)
LOGITECH_MOUSE_DISABLE_CC="yes"

# End /etc/udev/lomoco_mouse.conf

If i use this code all works nicely & xev show the scroll buttons as 9 & 10 but I find this resolution to fast & unusable.

LOGITECH_MOUSE_RESOLUTION="1600"
#LOGITECH_MOUSE_RESOLUTION="800"

I have also tried 1200 dpi & 400 dpi in my lomoco_mouse.conf

1200 dpi works like 1600 dpi does, perfect settings, dpi & scroll correctly set.

400 dpi same behaviour as 800 dpi, dpi correctly set to 400 dpi, scroll buttons don't get seen in xev & still work as resolution changers.

So to sum up, I can't set 800 dpi & turnoff SmartScroll / Cruise Control at the same time. I can have either 800 dpi with scroll buttons acting as resolution changing buttons or pick a higher dpi/resolution 1200/1600 dpi & the have scroll buttons as I want them.

I don't want to switch to a higher dpi as I'm very happy with 800. Anything higher I can't use very well.

Does anybody know why I can't set 800 dpi & turnoff SmartScroll / Cruise Control at the same time?

Hope this make sense to someone if you need my xorg.conf let me know, also I'm using the evdev driver.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by learntheblues (2008-01-13 02:49:08)

#2 2008-01-13 09:37:41

shining
Pacman Developer

Re: Strange lomoco behaviour

That's a funny problem, and I have really no idea.
Can't you compensate the higher dpi with a lower sensitivity? That's probably what I would do.
And anyway, it's already what I did when switching from 400 to 800 (the max for my mx510).

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#3 2008-01-13 10:51:50

learntheblues

Thanks for the reply, your suggestion to lower the sensitivity is what I may have to do short term, I did try it but didn't feel good. The reason I'm so reluctant to use anything but 800 dpi is I want to play counterstrike 1.6 & I have used 800 dpi for the last 4years+

For me anything but 800 dpi feels wrong! I know after time I would get used to the change in settings & I may swap to 1200 dpi If I can't find I fix. But atm the mouse feels so good at 800 dpi in gnome I can fly about the screen I just won't change, or maybe I'll keep 800 dpi for desktop & change to 1200 dpi to get the extra buttons when needed.

I did read a thread over at linuxGamers. Somebody had described the same behavior but no fix was mentioned.

I might just keep playing CS under windows & dual boot as needed. Its just I'm finding myself wanting to be using arch as my main desktop it's addictive. Dual booting is becoming a pain (well sort of, not really), CS is the only game I play so I just don't really need windows anymore, I'm amazed at how good arch is & have learned loads about linux in general since installing it.

I'm gonna keep looking into this, but atm I'm so new to arch & linux in general that I've got plenty of cool things to learn & keep me busy until I find a fix for this.

#4 2008-07-29 17:12:57

SleepyDog

I hate to bump up an old thread but it seems you've gotten farther than I have in configuring your MX518. I've been wrestling with this problem for two days now. Would you mind posting your xorg.conf? I wouldn't mind using it at 1600 resolution, as all I play is Diablo II so it wouldn't be a problem. Did you ever get it working how you wanted?

#5 2009-03-07 12:37:48

oni5115

Lomoco seems to work fine for my MX1000 using the method you provided above.  Perhaps the following might help - even though this is a really old thread and you probably solved it long ago.

Is it Lomoco itself that is bugged or the config?  Have you tried running the following command?
sudo lomoco --no-sms --800

Note: if you don't have sudo I believe lomoco needs to be run with root access or it can't modify the settings.
Does the mouse still act strange?  If yes, then it is likely a bug in lomoco with your mouse/computer config.  If not, then the issue is how the config file is being read and you can set it on start.

If you're using Gnome, you can find the sessions manager in menu under System > Preferences* > Sessions. (*It could be Administration, not running Gnome anymore.)  Add a new item and in the command entry put: "sudo lomoco --no-sms --800".

Caveat: This assumes you have sudo installed in Arch -- it installs by default in Ubuntu, I had to manually install it in Arch.
Note: If that fails, you can instead try it with a script.  Create a script with the following code and put its location as the command in Sessions.
Shell Script:

#!/bin/bash
sleep 10
sudo lomoco --no-sms --800

In Ubuntu/Gnome, this worked perfectly.
In Arch/LXDE,  I tried to use a .desktop file in my ~/.config/autostart (which is similar to sessions), but that failed.  I have not yet tried running a script from my autostart folder, but only because the method you provided here modifying /etc/udev/lomoco_mouse.conf worked for me.

Here is how my config looks for reference:

#LOGITECH_MOUSE_RESOLUTION="400"
LOGITECH_MOUSE_RESOLUTION="800"

#LOGITECH_MOUSE_DISABLE_CC="no"

If all of the above fails, perhaps you can look into alternative methods of running a script like that at startup.  There seems to be a number of ways to do that, and I'm sure I don't know all of them.  I'd like to post a thank you though, since this helped me fix one more of those little annoying things I couldn't get working quite right.

Also, is there a way you can put that modified config somewhere in your own user directory instead of in /etc/udev?  I am curious since I prefer to have all my setup stuff in my own home folder in case I change linux distros, re-install, etc.

Board footer