You are not logged in.

#1 2004-04-27 22:21:24

lilsirecho
Veteran

Generate arch 2.6.5 LIVE CD

Is there a program in arch which can generate a LiveCD?

If not, where is such available?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2004-04-28 02:49:13

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Generate arch 2.6.5 LIVE CD

I'm wondering if the following program which references mandrake linux can be utilized in making a liveCD in arch?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------tar:/root/mklivecd-0.5.6.tar.bz2/mklivecd-0.5.6/src
tar:/root/mklivecd-0.5.6.tar.bz2/mklivecd-0.5.6/AUTHORS
tar:/root/mklivecd-0.5.6.tar.bz2/mklivecd-0.5.6/CHANGELOG
tar:/root/mklivecd-0.5.6.tar.bz2/mklivecd-0.5.6/COPYING
tar:/root/mklivecd-0.5.6.tar.bz2/mklivecd-0.5.6/FAQ
tar:/root/mklivecd-0.5.6.tar.bz2/mklivecd-0.5.6/Makefile
tar:/root/mklivecd-0.5.6.tar.bz2/mklivecd-0.5.6/mklivecd.spec
tar:/root/mklivecd-0.5.6.tar.bz2/mklivecd-0.5.6/README
tar:/root/mklivecd-0.5.6.tar.bz2/mklivecd-0.5.6/Rules.mk
tar:/root/mklivecd-0.5.6.tar.bz2/mklivecd-0.5.6/TODO

Perhaps some mods are needed??---------------

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2004-04-28 02:59:25

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

There is no package for this. Take a look how AL-AMLUG LIve CD is made. In general a live CD is quite easy to make.
http://www.amlug.net/new-projects/forum … owtopic=34

Markku

#4 2004-04-28 19:11:46

lilsirecho
Veteran

I have examined the  am-lug material and it is not defined as to the generation of a LiveCD using kernel2.6.5 which is the subject of this post.

I entertain any input describing a procedure which enables the 2.6.5 kernel to be utilized in a livecd arrangement.  Preferably, this should be done in a separate HDD, to eliminate any possible impact on the installed system of the same kernel.

#5 2004-04-28 19:27:55

lilsirecho
Veteran

If a live CD is generated, can pacman be used to maintain packages (perhaps not custom kernel) through the internet arch system?

#6 2004-04-28 20:20:44

lilsirecho
Veteran

Is there an arch install download CD for kernel 2.6.5, base packages?

#7 2004-04-29 04:33:35

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

I have examined the  am-lug material and it is not defined as to the generation of a LiveCD using kernel2.6.5 which is the subject of this post.

There is no point of defining a particular version or type of kernel in a general live CD how-to, when the user can add any kernel he/she wants. The basic how-to is to install/configure what you plan for the CD on a HDD partition (don't exceed 700MB if no compress system). Do the tests and then write in CD. HDD and CD content is the same except the CD requires an additional boot script and configure.

Markku

#8 2004-04-29 06:28:04

lilsirecho
Veteran

My statement is correct, you interpret it to mean what you wrote.

I found no indication of how the particular kernel one desires to include in the Live CD is actually to be entered. 

The understanding is that the arch install CD 0.5 was to be inserted into the CDrom and the packages and kernel were to be installed..... from that source!  The kernel in that source is a particular default kernel as I have used same.  If there is an optional kernel to apply here it isn't indicated as an option in the wiki.
  I fail to see the difference between packages and kernel since either is called a package in pacman -arch (I am aware that the kernel is a system package not an application).

I wonder if the order, kernel first, then packages will upset the apple cart?

I am aware of the 650-700MB CD size limit which places approximately a 2GB Fat32 compression limit correspondingly in LIVECD's as described on the net. 

In reference to step 4.1, two references to "kernel" or "kernel image" appear, one seems to be included in the arch CD which is 2.4.x as I follow the steps.

That is where I get lost!

Later on, initrd and ram_disk are utilized for boot.  Perhaps that use of ram will prevent my file system from being utilized...namely,,,ramfs. 

I am studying the method but it hasn't jelled.

One such LIVECD I have takes nearly 5 minutes to reach log-in but it utilizes the full CD.  The free ram on it is about 896-650= 246MB..  It uses a 2.4.x kernel with no ramfs.

I have assumed that I could experiment with a ramfs version because the ram in use in the above example is not ram_disk limited to one-half of physical ram but reaches full low mem limits of 896MB.  So, barring any side-issue I am unaware of, it might even work!!

I love my arch custom kernel which performs very nicely in ramfs.  I would hesitate to destroy it by muffing the ball during the LIVECD prep.

I will use a blank HDD and clone my drive to it.

I haven't given up yet....

#9 2004-04-29 09:29:08

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

Something happened to AMLUG Project Logbook, the posts got locked in the database (should have used phpBB instead of IPB). I have temporally moved the live CD how-to to Arch Wiki (anyone who is interested can edit).
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bui … 0live%20CD

Markku

#10 2004-04-30 01:58:17

lilsirecho
Veteran

It occurs to me that I can obtain the packages I require from /var/cache/pacman/pkg and that the install CD isn't needed or am I missing something?

Board footer