You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-13 18:53:34

5x5
Website

Confused about using repositories....

Hello all.  I'm sorry to waste forum space b/c this is probably elementary.  I am having problems understanding some aspects of using the different repositories.  Number one confusion is how to download KDE pkgs that I like when I am using the Gnome desktop.  For instance, I am very partial to smb4k.  I can install this via pacman, no problem, although I have to install the kdebase and alot of kde libs to support it.  But I also like shisen-sho, a kde game and Akregator, the news feed reader.  I created havoc with my Arch install recently because I assumed I had to use the kdemod repository for Akregator.  It didn't come up in core/extra/community as available.  So I installed that and shisen-sho and THEN had pacman install smb4k.  Apparently, smb4k pulled standard kde components from core/extra/community because suddenly, ALL of these pkgs were broken.  Also, one or a couple of these pkgs pulled in both qt3 and qt4 and I had every kde pkg possible listed in my gnome menu under 'other'.  :-(
Is there an easy way to do this?  Or are these applications simply not possible to configure together if not running a native KDE desktop?  And is this process ALWAYS going to pull in all this kde garbage that I don't want and drop it into my pretty gnome menu?

Many thanks for any assistance.

Carrie

I've finally achieved the Arch.  Life is good.

#2 2008-01-13 20:13:19

daf666
Website

Re: Confused about using repositories....

Hi, I am no expert on the topic (and also am a full time KDE user, so the more KDE pkgs = me more happy).
Akregator is a part of kdepim and shisen sho is part of kdegames...
After you fix ur mess, you can just: 'pacman -S kdepim kdegames' and ur set up for life cool
you dont need any kdemod repos.. and stuffs

#3 2008-01-14 01:02:58

5x5
Website

Hi daf.  I guess I was trying to avoid having to install the entire pim and games pkgs.  I will never use any of the other pkgs and except those two so it just seems like such a waste of space and plus, the bloated menu thing.

Tx for your reply, tho.  It may be that I have no choice.  :-(

I've finally achieved the Arch.  Life is good.

#4 2008-01-14 01:36:42

hacosta

5x5, in that case you might want to look at kdemod..
http://www.kdemod.ath.cx/

Board footer