You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-14 10:07:35

satimis

Partitioning question

Hi folks

Archlinux 86-64 2007 08-2 core (Host OS)
R-Project
http://www.r-project.org/

VMWare server
Guest OS to be decided later

I'm prepared installing Archlinux on a box with 80G SATA-II HD installed to test R-project.  My planning will be as follows;

/boot    100M
/    30G
swap    1G
/home    10G
balance for Guest OS

It needs at least 5 partitions.  So I plan to have /home and "Guest OS" on ext partitions.  I haven't figured out how to further partition "Guest OS" partition in future unless runnning LVM.  Besides this is a virtual machine the "Guest OS" partition must be in VMWare partition.  I started searching guides on Archlinux website and found follows;

Partitioning
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … ard_Drives
Partition the Hard Drives
Setup LVM and Create the /home LVM Volume

Please advise are the above documents appropriate for my guidance.  OR are there more detail documents?  TIA

B.R.
satimis

#2 2008-01-14 13:13:26

Nuwanda

Re: Partitioning question

You can put swap and /home on an extended partition.
Since you have a partition for /boot, I guess you can also put / on the extended partition (not sure about this one).

I didn't understand what you meant with "this is a virtual machine the "Guest OS" partition must be in VMWare partition".

#3 2008-01-14 13:54:28

satimis

Nuwanda wrote:

Since you have a partition for /boot, I guess you can also put / on the extended partition (not sure about this one).

Thanks for your advice.

There are 3 primary partitions.  I can put /boot, / and /home on primary partitions leaving swap and "Guest OS" on extended partition.

I didn't understand what you meant with "this is a virtual machine the "Guest OS" partition must be in VMWare partition".

The "Guest OS" is running on VMWare platform.  Can they be installed on different partition?

B.R.
satimis

#4 2008-01-15 15:19:17

Nuwanda

satimis wrote:
Nuwanda wrote:

Thanks for your advice.

There are 3 primary partitions.  I can put /boot, / and /home on primary partitions leaving swap and "Guest OS" on extended partition.

Some OS's will not boot on an extended or non-active partition.

satimis wrote:

The "Guest OS" is running on VMWare platform.  Can they be installed on different partition?

Why do you need a physical partition if it's a VM? In most cases, you should use a virtual hard disk.

Board footer