You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-14 23:28:11

astrixx

gnome font size & firefox problems

My search abilities have failed me and I couldn't find a previous post with a problem similar to mind, so if this is a repost, I apologize.  My problem is that when I set the gnome font size in gconf to a size I like, such as 100dpi, my firefox font size gets extremely tiny, almost unreadable.  Similarly, my gnome-terminal font size is so tiny I can't see the cursor.  I set up all the fonts as explained in the xorg font howto.  You can also notice that in my second screenshot, setting firefox's min font size to 16 still doesn't actually increase the size of the tiny fonts.

Screenshot 1:

screenshotgi9.th.png

Screenshot 2:

screenshot1zj2.th.png

BTW, I've used a bunch of distros for a few years, went from slack to gentoo to madrake linux (before it was mandriva), then to ubuntu, but I noticed that each step progressively slowed my performance relative to my hardware.  I used arch two years ago because it was exactly what I was looking for (high performance without the ricer "lolz compile it yourself it willz go fasterz" gentoo mentality but the package selection was lacking a bit back then and bleeding edge packages tended to break a lot (to be expected).  I came back to arch and it's nice to see package selection is much bigger, and the packages I have now are extremely stable (did an FTP install).  What I noticed also is that, while Ubuntu is nice, it really didn't do anything that great other than package gnome with all the good stuff (which did all the work as far as user-friendliness).  Everything I found in Ubuntu I find in arch but faster and more customizable (not to mention config files are more intuitive and simpler - I like bsd style init).

#2 2008-01-15 01:03:03

bionnaki

Re: gnome font size & firefox problems

#3 2008-01-15 07:16:36

astrixx

Re: gnome font size & firefox problems

Thanks for link, it was useful as far as letting me play with firefox font dpi independently of gnome.  The problem was that I was trying to set the font dpi through gconf, which seems to break gnome font management in bad ways, including crashing gnome-terminal.  Once I set the DPI from the appearance settings dialog, everything worked fine.

Last edited by astrixx (2008-01-15 07:17:50)

Board footer