You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-16 15:02:35

linderox

How to say for pacman to look upgrades in /var/cache/pacman/pkg first?

1)I want to use for upgrade packeges at first my local directory /var/cache/pacman/pkg
and if there is no suitable version of the package the internet

2) how to say for pacman to upgrade and install all packages from "/some/directory"?Are there Any script or command?

#2 2008-01-16 15:15:03

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: How to say for pacman to look upgrades in /var/cache/pacman/pkg first?

2) pacman -U /some/directory/*.pkg.tar.gz ?  Would that do what you are after there or have I got the question wrong?

#3 2008-01-16 15:21:14

linderox

and what about 1) ? I want to use command:

pacman -A some_package

and then I want to know that pacman at first saw to my local package directory and then to the internet. Where i should edit config for pacman?

Allan wrote:

2) pacman -U /some/directory/*.pkg.tar.gz ?  Would that do what you are after there or have I got the question wrong?

2)Allan,I think you are right! Tommorow i'll check on my work... But it seem for me that it is doesn't work if I use "pacman -A"

Last edited by linderox (2008-01-16 15:22:17)

#4 2008-01-16 15:27:33

fwojciec

Pacman -A switch is deprecated; use -U instead, it has the same functionality and more -- unless you really need something that will not upgrade if a package by the same name is already installed, that is.

#5 2008-01-16 15:35:22

Allan
Pacman
Website

1) Never tried this but it may push you in the right direction:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cus … repository

And as fwojciec said, you should probably use -U to install a local package and -S from the repos.

Edit: changed link to something better....

Last edited by Allan (2008-01-16 15:37:34)

#6 2008-01-16 22:08:44

mixtr

1) As far as I'm concerned it already does that. I have two computers running arch, when I upgraded one I scp the files to the other one in /var/cache/pacman/pkg, run pacman -Suy and it doesn't download the files that I've put in the pkg dir.

-- mixtr

#7 2008-01-16 23:12:07

lilsirecho
Veteran

linderox wrote:

1)I want to use for upgrade packeges at first my local directory /var/cache/pacman/pkg

2) how to say for pacman to upgrade and install all packages from "/some/directory"?Are there Any script or command?

The command for all packages in a given directory is to ID the directory, such as://\\

pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/*.pkg.tar,gz

This installs all packages in that "pkg"/*...........

Normal use of pacman installs every .pkg.tar.gz that is downloaded with pacman -Syu.

You can download without installing with ,,,,pacman -Syuw......

You can create a cachedir with pacman:EDIT:  /media/disk must be mounted as root....

pacman --cachedir /media/disk -Syw (package name).......(this installs the package to a usb flash drive for example or an IDE flash drive with compact disk....( the package is not installed into the system but just to the /media/disk...a local repo...Install same with ....pacman -Ud /media/disk (package name version.pkg.tar.gz).......

That seems to be the whole picture..........................

Last edited by lilsirecho (2008-01-16 23:22:51)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#8 2008-01-17 10:04:53

djclue917

linderox wrote:

Pacman actually looks first in /var/cache/pacman/pkg before to see if the package has already been downloaded. If the package is already there, then it just installs it. If not, then it downloads it, places it in the cache, then installs it.

If this is not what you want, then subject and your post are misleading.

PS: I don't understand #1. How can there be no suitable version from the net if you're upgrading? I mean where do you fetch your packages anyway?

Board footer