You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-17 04:25:58

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

Note on logo change. Broken Image Links from old logo's gone missing.

Any site that used the old logo:  http://www.archlinux.org/logos/archblue.png

is now showing NOTHING.... broken link to image.

Perhaps copy the NEW logo into the same spot, so remote links aren't broken ??????
SEE: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai … mnum=45032

#2 2008-01-17 04:57:43

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

Re: Note on logo change. Broken Image Links from old logo's gone missing.

wait.. why should we support sites that are hotlinking, and having us serve our image for their traffic?
If a site is going to mirror us, have them mirror us.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#3 2008-01-17 04:58:37

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

it doesnt break our site. end of story.

The suggestion box only accepts patches.

#4 2008-01-17 05:11:01

thayer
Fellow
Website

Nevermind my previous post... consider it deferred.

Last edited by thayer (2008-01-17 05:11:09)

thayer williams ~ cinderwick.ca

#5 2008-01-17 07:53:31

crouse
Website

Seems to me that you worked hard to make Arch Linux what it is, and now worked hard to get a great logo.

It's going to get hotlinked, if you don't want it hotlinked, use some mod_rewrites ............ as it stands, you now have broken image links all over the net.......... nice new logo, and alot of outside links broken.

I was more interested in the logo for the Arch Linux F@H team.....(which DID link back to archlinux.org)...... if I could change that, I would......... whomever started the team probably had to link to an image in order to get the logo on the page.  So..... it will probably just stay broken if that's the stance you want to take i suppose.  Many sites would have used that logo and used the image to link BACK to ArchLinux.org, so it's not like you didn't get anything out of the deal. Hotlinking isn't ALWAYS bad....... many times you not only get traffic but your getting PR ratings from google. 

I was just trying to be helpful and point out something that might not have been so obvious.  I actually DO know a little bit about running a website you know tongue  smile

#6 2008-01-17 16:06:58

toofishes
Developer
Website

crouse wrote:

Seems to me that you worked hard to make Arch Linux what it is, and now worked hard to get a great logo.

It's going to get hotlinked, if you don't want it hotlinked, use some mod_rewrites ............ as it stands, you now have broken image links all over the net.......... nice new logo, and alot of outside links broken.

I was more interested in the logo for the Arch Linux F@H team.....(which DID link back to archlinux.org)...... if I could change that, I would......... whomever started the team probably had to link to an image in order to get the logo on the page.  So..... it will probably just stay broken if that's the stance you want to take i suppose.  Many sites would have used that logo and used the image to link BACK to ArchLinux.org, so it's not like you didn't get anything out of the deal. Hotlinking isn't ALWAYS bad....... many times you not only get traffic but your getting PR ratings from google. 

I was just trying to be helpful and point out something that might not have been so obvious.  I actually DO know a little bit about running a website you know tongue  smile

Yeah, traffic spikes from Google are our top priority and all, given that we are a commercial company out to make a buck...

This is just plain stupid.

wget http://www.archlinux.org/path/to/logo.png

Saying that we are in any way responsible for broken links is just dumb. Telling us we need to set up mod_rewrite rules isn't nice either- we aren't out to stop people from getting the logo.

#7 2008-01-17 16:24:53

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

Oookkk then, crouse. Since you're so passionate about it, why don't we count up how much bandwidth they're using up hotlinking to OUR resources, and send the bill to you? Since you know so much about running a website, clearly you know that IT COSTS SOMETHING. Right?

--end section about crouse, begin rant sparked by crouse (that means don't take the below personally crouse) ---
For fuck's sake, everyone on this fucking forum expects everything for fucking free. GET YOUR BRAINS OUT OF THE BLENDER AND SEE THE REAL WORLD. Someone, somewhere, IS PAYING FOR ALL OF THIS, and your unthankful asses don't appreciate it one bit. Time after time on this forum, I see bullshit about how the quality of service isn't good enough, or maybe your mirror's slow, or maybe you don't like the little "tm" next to the new logo because it might mean (god forbid) that money exists somewhere, or maybe you didn't like it when we throttled ftp.archlinux.org, and cut off rsync access to everyone but official/large mirrors (the asshole wasting an rsync slot by using his GPRS connection gave us all a laugh, I assure you). Now someone may come back and say...oh but you have revenue from donations and adsense and cafepress and the cd's you sell each month. HOWEVER, the revenue from these sources amounts to PEANUTS, someone, somewhere, is shelling out all the cash to keep these services up and running for your bitchy, whiney, unthankful selves.
Anyhow, I want to thank you *all* for the insulting attitude... fuck you too.

#8 2008-01-17 16:40:49

Wilson Phillips

I wondered when that was coming. I thought it was overdue. When I saw the one about the trade mark on the logo, all I could think was "Thou Shalt Not Whine"

Guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack, or children under 5.

#9 2008-01-17 17:39:02

crouse
Website

neotil

Since you know so much about running a website, clearly you know that IT COSTS SOMETHING. Right?

yup...... about 8cents per gb ($209 for 2,500GB transfer - the planet.com) ...... or about 8cents for every 212,000 transfers of the logo.
CHEAP advertising..... but if you don't care about advertising Arch or what I pointed out that's fine....... no skin off my nose, really.  No need for everyone to get in such a damn huff about it, and go on rants insulting me or the other users that didn't say anything. 

If Arch Linux needs more money to operate...... then why don't I see anyone asking for it on a regular basis... just ASK, I'm sure I'm not the only one that would donate more money. Donated more today...(my total donations to date $50).. not an extreme amount of money, but I do what I can....... however there is nothing like getting your hand bit while trying to feed the dog though.   Yes I DO know that bandwidth costs money, hence why I've donated what I have.

toofishes..... 

Saying that we are in any way responsible for broken links is just dumb. Telling us we need to set up mod_rewrite rules isn't nice either- we aren't out to stop people from getting the logo.

mod_rewrite rules wouldn't stop someone from downloading the image from your website if they take them from the webpage itself after loading it into their browser, it WOULD stop them from hotlinking against it...... again, call me dumb all you want, but I was just trying to be helpful.  I didn't EVER say you were RESPONSIBLE for the broken links either ...... I wanted to make you AWARE that they WERE broken, if you don't care........ I don't.  As for trademarking the logo, excellent idea.

Last edited by crouse (2008-01-17 17:41:01)

#10 2008-01-17 18:22:27

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

crouse wrote:

If Arch Linux needs more money to operate......

No one made this claim. The assertion is that money is being spent.

Hotlinking to our stuff is a little rude. You are more than welcome to use the logo, just don't link to it direct from our site.

#11 2008-01-17 23:27:25

neotuli
Lazy Developer
Website

@crouse:
I'm glad to hear that you're a happy donor, like many people are. We all give our time, money, and resources to keep things going. However the larger point I was trying to make was, as I noted, not directed at you, just sparked by the thread. In fact if you'll consider it for a moment, it was in your defense. People around here take everything for granted, and complain rather disproportionately, which I find highly highly insulting to those of us (like you and me, and dozens of others) that give our time or money, or both, to keep the roof up for them.

Board footer