You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-17 11:37:00

smitty

I didn't realize this is an install question - now at a ramfs shell

Sorry for the repost at Newbie Questions. I am having problems with removing packages from ArchLinux. Sometimes I skipped over a procedure I should have done whilst following the documentation and I tried to remove the package and re-installed it, and unfortunately broke the system. For example, recently it boot into the ramfs prompt, which I have no idea where it is in the boot process, but I can't even list any directories or use any commands. Prior to this, I used "pacman -S <package-name>" and "pacman -R <package-name>" to remove the packages and re-install it. The last install I accidently skipped over the step for install my Nvdia drivers, so I had to back up and go to the part before that in the install documentation and make sure I had everything setup right. I uninstalled the nvidia drivers, which is "nvidia" by program title. At that point, X wouldn't startup and I figured maybe if I rebooted it was something that had to reboot to get to work. And here is where I am at now: ramfs prompt!
My question is, is there a "safer" way to remove packages than pacman's -R method? Is there certain packages you should remove at all and it may break the system? If os, what are the procedures to restore the login shell? Any tips and / or recommendations would be highly appreciated.

#2 2008-01-17 12:26:06

chicha

Re: I didn't realize this is an install question - now at a ramfs shell

You already posted the same question here :
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=42435

No need to ask twice !

To be short : there is no safer way than removing a package using pacman -R.
The safest way is to know what you are doing when removing a package. See my comments in the post mentionned above.

#3 2008-01-17 12:55:59

smitty

Thanks for answering me despite my redundant posts. I didn't know what forum this question was best suited for. Althought I learned something out of it. That's the main thing. My experience has been really good out of installing ArchLinux despite the inadequacies of me skipping part of the documentation where I should have read! thanks. smile

#4 2008-01-17 13:01:35

tomk
Forum Fellow

Cross-post, locked.

Board footer