You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-19 15:14:22

MillTek

Pacman didn't complete it's own upgrade recently.

Currently I'm on pacman release 3.1.0-1.  Since it went in a few days ago I've noticed that my daily Pacman -Suy does nothing. What I've found is this;

The new databases of installed packages are in /var/lib/pacman/sync/community,  /var/lib/pacman/sync/core and /var/lib/pacman/sync/extra. Each of the databases holds a folder for every package I have installed. This is what I would expect. I tried installing a few packages with pacman -S and though it works pacman writes the folders in /var/lib/pacman/local (the old database).  Consequently, if I do a pacman -Qe, I only get a list of the packages in /var/lib/pacman/local.

I started a thread about this yesteray but at the time I didn't realize that pacman had changed where the databases are stored so the thread is wrong. Please ignore it.  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=42518

So, is there a way to get pacman to look at the new databases instead of the old one??

Thanks,

Jim

#2 2008-01-19 15:50:29

dmartins

Re: Pacman didn't complete it's own upgrade recently.

Is your /etc/pacman.conf correct? Try commenting out the DBPath option.

#3 2008-01-19 15:55:52

toofishes
Developer
Website

Dude. Local database is *completely* different than your sync DBs.

-Q operations work locally. The local DB is still at /var/lib/pacman/local.

-S operations work on syncdbs. These have moved to /var/lib/pacman/sync and you do not have to do *anything*.

#4 2008-01-19 16:44:17

MillTek

My pacman.conf is in this thread here;  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=42518

and if Q operations operate with /var/lib/pacman/local then I'm screwed because it's empty.  Any ideas what would I can do to restore it??  I have no clue what happened to it by the way.

#5 2008-01-19 21:08:46

Zer0

I'm lost, in the last post you say that /var/lib/pacman/local is empty.. but in the first post it's not..

MillTek wrote:

... if I do a pacman -Qe, I only get a list of the packages in /var/lib/pacman/local.

Did you do something to change this?

BTW Q operations are indeed from the local DB at /var/lib/pacman/local.  Doing a pacman -Q lists all the packages I have in that directory.

#6 2008-01-19 22:18:34

MillTek

Hi Zer0,

Yes, I don't blame you. I am/was lost as well.  A lot of my confusion (and the way I explained things) was based on my mis-understanding of how pacman works. Anyway, I found a few posts where Phrakture (the pacman Guru) either said an empty /var/lib/pacman/local is a very very bad thing so I have just totally re-built my system from scratch.  Apologies if I confused you as well!!!

What concerns me now is how my /var/lib/pacman/local got erased. I certainly didn't do it, because until I had this problem I didn't even know it was there.

Thanks for all the help anyway.

Jim

Board footer