You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-19 17:56:44

hybrid

ftp.archlinux.org isn't not up to date

Well I just figured out that the mirror I'm using isn't up-to-date. Not a big deal. just out of curiosity I tested quite a few servers from the mirrorlist and most of them were like one or two days old, except for a few that were up-to-date but with a shitty throughput. Still not a big deal, but what's confusing me is how come that ftp.archlinux.org is not up-to-date? I mean that explains to me why some mirrors that I know used to be up-to-date now are behind the package-tracker on www.archlinux.org, if ftp.archlinux.org.
I mean it's still not a big deal, but just out of curiosity, what does the package-tracker on www.archlinux.org show? I thought whatever lands in the tracker is being put on the archlinux-ftp immediately. Apparently it's not, but other servers have newer files, so they must be uploaded somewhere, but obviously not the archlinux-ftp. So how does that work? :> And what mirror should mirrors use to synchronize?

edit: edited title from "mirrors not up to date" to "ftp.archlinux.org isn't up to date"

Last edited by hybrid (2008-01-19 18:13:16)

#2 2008-01-19 18:00:49

kensai
Website

Re: ftp.archlinux.org isn't not up to date

It is put immediately but mirrors do not sync with the latest packages immediately, at least the mirror I have used the most syncs every morning and then I can upgrade to the packages that were on the package-tracker the day before. SO is a matter of the mirror syncing and showing the latest packages.

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#3 2008-01-19 18:03:22

hybrid

Right that is true. But it's not exactly what I meant.
Packages are put immediately where? Certainly not ftp.archlniux.org because it's not up-to-date. But other servers are. Somewhat ironic that the main server is older than some mirrors... :>
edit: Or in other words: how come that for example ftp://archlinux.puzzle.ch/$repo/os/i686 (SUI) and ftp://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/archlinux.org/$repo/os/i686 (BE) have newer files than ftp.archlinux.org (US, I thought it to be the main and latest server, everything lands on there first). What mirrors are they syncing from?

Last edited by hybrid (2008-01-19 18:07:28)

#4 2008-01-19 18:18:57

ise
Developer
Website

ftp.archlinux.org is a mirror like any other mirror out there. It is not the master server. The master server is another (not public) one.

#5 2008-01-19 18:21:22

kensai
Website

I think the package-tracker reflects the commits to a version control system which might be subversion or git and then the other mirrors sync from it.

Last edited by kensai (2008-01-19 18:21:31)

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#6 2008-01-19 18:29:14

hybrid

ise wrote:

ftp.archlinux.org is a mirror like any other mirror out there. It is not the master server. The master server is another (not public) one.

That's what I was guessing. Too bad that many mirrors seem to sync off ftp.archlinux.org instead of syncing with that masterserver...

#7 2008-01-19 18:52:19

Wilson Phillips

My guess is that genuine mirrors sync from the master mirror. Each is given an account on the master server and a time slot for syncing. They won't all sync at the same time due to bandwidth issues. They wait their turn.

Last edited by Wilson Phillips (2008-01-19 18:52:56)

Guarantee does not cover shark bite, bear attack, or children under 5.

#8 2008-01-20 00:12:22

hybrid

Well honestly I don't think so. I think many servers just mirror ftp.archlinux.org (some of them even have it in their url, eg: ftp://ftp.hosteurope.de/mirror/ftp.arch … po/os/i686; pretty sure hosteurope mirrors the archlinux.org-ftp and not another masterserver wink)
So maybe the archlinux-team could give out a notice to the mirrors (the ones that they have someone specific to talk to, like the 'official' mirrors that are enlisted on www.archlinux.org/download because I'm pretty sure for legal reasons there must have been some sort of correspondence between the archlinux-team and those mirrors thus the archlinux-team probably knows who is responsible for these mirrors) on how to use that mysterious masterserver. Or if that's too much work / not possible for other reasons than maybe the archlinux-team could get the archlinux.org-ftp back on track cuz it's still not synced (and therefore all other mirrors that mirror that server can't be either)
I would vote for throttleing ftp.archlinux.org some more and instead having it sync with it's master more often, cuz it is a pretty important address to deliver archlinux - to deliver it to the mirrors that then bring it to the users! (Even though I've never experienced delays like that before so I'm guessing there is or has been some trouble with ftp.archlinux.org. If so, good luck on bringing it back on track!)

#9 2008-01-20 00:59:38

tomk
Forum Fellow

All authorised mirrors, e.g. hosteurope, puzzle, belnet, etc, sync directly with the master server, which as ise mentioned above, is not accessible to the general public. We have no control over the sync schedules of these mirrors, as they are independently operated, and mirror many other distros and OSS projects as well as Arch. If a particular mirror is out of date, it is usually advisable to wait 24 hours before doing anything about it. If any mirror is persisently out of date, we would like to know about it so that we can investigate.

ftp.archlinux.org is also a mirror of the master server - the difference, of course, is that it is entirely under our control. I've just compared the dates and times of core.db.tar.gz and extra.db.tar.gz on the master server and on ftp.archlinux.org, and they are in sync at the moment. If you have an example of an out-of-date file on ftp.archlinux.org, please let us know and we will look into it.

#10 2008-01-20 15:40:55

hybrid

Hmm, yeah, everything is looking fine now again.
Thanks for the explanation! :>

Board footer