#1 2008-01-20 21:00:11

theringmaster
Website

don't buy that cheap computer from sears

Check me out on twitter!!! twitter.com/The_Ringmaster

#2 2008-01-21 19:24:40

Zer0

Re: don't buy that cheap computer from sears

tisk tisk Sears.. spyware? shame on you!

#3 2008-01-21 23:11:31

bones
Website

Bet their not the only one around, just they got caught. I knew there was a good reason to build my own computers.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#4 2008-01-21 23:45:59

MrWeatherbee

This isn't about purchasing an already compromised machine from Sears (though not broached in the article, that could be another vector for a vendor), it's about visiting / joining the Sears community website, downloading software and becoming a participant (likely unwillingly and unknowingly) in their spyware-driven data collection scheme.

Doesn't matter if you built your own machine or not (unless being smart enough to build our own machines is an indicator we won't be taken in by the ruse smile ).

#5 2008-01-22 12:07:00

bones
Website

Doesn't matter if you built your own machine or not (unless being smart enough to build our own machines is an indicator we won't be taken in by the ruse.

Exactly. Back in the dark ages when I bought computers and used windows, the first thing I did was reformat and reinstall, dumping the so called extras the shop would install because,
1. To me it was junk.
2. I just didn't trust the stuff and bet some of it was some form of spyware.

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

#6 2008-01-22 17:04:33

jacko

bones wrote:

Doesn't matter if you built your own machine or not (unless being smart enough to build our own machines is an indicator we won't be taken in by the ruse.

Exactly. Back in the dark ages when I bought computers and used windows, the first thing I did was reformat and reinstall, dumping the so called extras the shop would install because,
1. To me it was junk.
2. I just didn't trust the stuff and bet some of it was some form of spyware.

exactly, my main reason was junk. The reason I prefer arch to other distro's. I don't need the junk and I don't need to remove things from an OS install, that just sounds wrong.

#7 2008-01-23 14:02:16

It seems the comp manufacturers find ways to force us to use their stuff. I have my own stories to tell

Windows drivers

Think of an onboard sound card. I installed them in various versions of windows. How ? I insert the CD, press shift to prevent autorun, let windows find the inf file, reboot, done

In few recent cases there is no inf in the cd or windows doesnt reckon it. So I need to installshied all what comes with it - mp3 player, icon in the tray, maybe something else. If i dont accept the licnse - no driver too

My laptop

I got a thinkpad from work about 1yr ago. It came with xp and all thinkpad extras installed. No CD. Just the hidden partition. And I think that if I had ordered a CD I'd get the same stuff on it too

If i want to install clean xp then I need to buy new retail xp. In quantity : pay more to get less ? wth ?

Problem solved by wiping the entire drive and installing linux

Moms printer

About 1.5 yr ago Mom bought a usb box that can print scan and copy. First thing that alarmed me was what was written on the box :
I need 300 MB minimum hdd space. But i kinda ok lets ignore its probably lame

I go install it in her comp (windows 2000 + ubuntu). I again try the find inf file thing. No result. Ok lets install it and select minimum options all the way. I get to the screen that select how much to install.
( ) Minimal installation with advanced program that can edit photos lite edition etc : 300 MB
( ) Full installation with advanced program that can edit photos etc : 700 MB

The minimal one actually installs about 300 MB of stuff !!

After install complete I end up with a complee 'office solution center' that takes 3 boots to 'kill' from popping up on startup, icon in the tray, and a complete scanning wizard

In the ubuntu it installed the usual way things get installed in linux

I just dont understand why users accept this

#8 2008-01-23 14:39:12

renners1

Don't buy from PC World in UK either!

A while back I tried to add a second HD to a PC for a friend. I, and several other techy friends who tried, coudln't get the PC to recognize the new HD.

My friend took the PC back to PC World who installed the HD no problems (at a price!!). Transpires that there was a  hidden BIOS password preventing user hardware changes, thus generating revenue for the shop. Disgraceful in my opinion.

Cheers, Renners

Edit: this probably doesn't happen on ALL PC's sold by PC World, they sell many reputable brands and I'm sure someone like Sony wouldn't want PC World messing with their machines! I cant remember the brand of my friend's PC, but it wasn't a well known make.

Last edited by renners1 (2008-01-23 14:41:24)

Microsoft stole my computer, Linux gave it back.

#9 2008-01-24 11:49:15

Do brand pcs have any advantage for us over pcs you build yourself ?

#10 2008-02-10 16:49:28

axion419

this is off topic, BUT.  I work at a ISP and we also do repairs.  I feel horrible when someone wants a wipe and reload, and i have to use their disc.  Which in the case of HP computers, or Compaq computers, installs software riddled with spyware.  A brand new install from their recovery consoles just causes a computer to be installed thats already bogged down.  Its stupid and should be illegal.

Board footer