You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-23 09:44:27

pedrohqb

Very low performance on GL using NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

Hello! I'm having some problems with performance with the actual NVIDIA driver and kernel... I'd like to ask if someone else is having those problems as well... It is very bizarre, though!
My xorg.conf is fully configured and it is similar of my old xorg.conf on Ubuntu. Nothing new.
I want to ask if I rebuild my kernel and build my own NVIDIA driver I'll have a better performance! I can't even play Quake III Arena(which is already an old game).

Thanks!

Last edited by pedrohqb (2008-01-25 05:50:00)

#2 2008-01-25 15:10:36

grndrush
Website

Re: Very low performance on GL using NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440

LOL - that's an OLD card! It's also the exact same one I'm using ATM...:rolleyes:

Are you using i686 or x86_64 architecture? Are you using the nvidia driver or the nv (or fb...) driver?
And, if you're i686, are you using the 'old' or 'new' X?

I upgraded (and, overall, it WAS an upgrade) from i686 and the old X to x86_64 and the new X a few months back. Played with the nv driver, the nvidia drivers (which I'm no using), turned off compositing (multi-core processors for eye candy - some idea that).

My glxgears score dropped by about 1/2 (I get around 285 FPS in glxgears, as a reference).

I have(/had?) an OEM-O/C'ed 6600GT (PCIe-16) and it got around 8600 FPS. As 'Mott the Hoople' once opined, "Man, I felt so ashamed!" <insert fake British accent>

Really, with the demands being made by todays O/S'es - X, O/S-X, WinBloze - doesn't matter - it's time we both upgraded (or I at least get a working PCIe-16 mobo). The developers are soaking up the fresh new power available from today's multi-GHz, multi-core, multi-socket processorS (er, plus the, er, GPU - and sometimes even *multi-GPU*) in eye candy - translucency, "Aero", "compiz-fusion" and other (to me) ridiculous wastes of computing horsepower (and electricity). The productivity returns I've personally experienced from translucency, compositing, and the lot (on the 6600GT/OC, of course) were overwhelmingly dwarfed by the horsepower required to  provide them. I don't mind a nice-looking, useful GUI as much as the next guy, and even and occasional game. But keeping the (new, high-end) hardware running hard doing basic tasks in 2008 is SO 1993.  wink

Blue Skies...Keith

#3 2008-01-25 15:26:42

pedrohqb

I don't have resources to upgrade my PC or buy a new one! But it is a very bizarre issue, since when I was using Ubuntu, I didn't have any problems in my nVidia performance... very very strange, though...

anyway, thanks!

#4 2008-01-25 17:07:36

zenlord
Website

Which driver are you using? The nvidia, nvidia-96xx, nvidia-77xx or another one? I have a machine with a GeForce2mx and it can run compiz fluently with the nvidia-96xx-driver. I don't play games though...

Zl.

#5 2008-01-25 20:59:55

pedrohqb

the same of you....
it works, but it is a bit slow, though
when I used to use Ubuntu, I had no problems on it... very very bizarre

Board footer