You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-25 23:07:55

QGel

Building own Kernel for High Memory Support

Hello folks!

I am using Archlinux since some Month and know i have to compile my own Kernel for High Memory Support.

My installation supports 4GB of RAM, I think that should be normal. But now I did an upgrade from 2GB to 4GB of RAM. Less of the addressing other devices I am only able to use ~3GB of the 4.
In February I am going to do a chipset-ugrade from a Intel i975 to an Intel G33. Than I have to compile the Kernel once again.

Now I tried to compile the Kernel several times, without any success. I tried the classic way: Download the kernel, import the current kernelconfig, edit the config by 'make menuconfig' and compile. Than I moved die compiled kernel to /boot and update my menu.lst. But while booting i get an error like "can't find /dev/sda6" (my system-partition). I also tried to put the module's into the kernel, by the static way and I created a kernel-image. But this does not help.

Than I found a tutorial with another way. Now I am trying to build my kernel with the ABS. I am also loading the current kernelconfig, edit the High Memory Support and start to compile. But it aborts with the error "illegal packages".

Perhaps y'all can help me. What is the best possibility?
I don't have any problems with installing a new Archlinux. If I install a new one, is it possible to include the High Memory Support while installation? Or perhaps I should use an 64bit System? What about 64bit Systems, are they stable?
Or should I expend some time to include the High Memory Support into the current Kernel and later include the new modules for the new chipset into my current Kernel?

Greeting's QGel

smile

#2 2008-01-27 20:32:52

QGel

Re: Building own Kernel for High Memory Support

None a tip for me?

smile

#3 2008-01-27 21:36:42

wavenator

put here ur menu.lst file

#4 2008-01-27 21:37:37

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

You should be able to use the higmem option combined with PAE support (I do not know if this is one and the same, I have 2 GB of RAM, and one needs to enable highmem support for that too). PAE is something Intel introduced, it is said to be supported by the Linux kernel, I have never tried nor enabled it, so I cannot tell you where to look.

This post on Kerneltrap might interest you for some background (i.e. understanding of the matter).

My advice concerning the errors: to start your build, do not use a PKGBUILD or anything, just grab that config, untar a vanilla tarball from kernel.org, drop in the config, run make gconfig (or something similar), enable the stuff you need, and once that is done, compile and install. Just make sure you do not overwrite your stock kernel.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#5 2008-01-28 05:16:38

QGel

Hello,

here ist my menu.lst:

# general configuration:
timeout   5
default   0
color light-blue/black light-cyan/blue

title  Arch Linux HighMem
root   (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.23-revision1 root=/dev/sda6 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26-revision1.img

title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda6 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

title  Arch Linux Fallback
root   (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda6 ro
initrd /boot/kernel26-fallback.img

@B: Ok, thank you. I'll try on today smile

smile

#6 2008-01-28 05:48:53

wavenator

to compile a kernel you need some more thing
create 2 files in /etc/mkinitcpio.d/
the first
kernel26example.kver
the second
kernel26example.preset

follow the instructions there
it is simple to create those files
after u made them both run
/sbin/mkinitcpio -p kernel26example

and then it will make a .img file in the /boot/ dir

add it to the grub menu list in the initrd section
and the bzImage to the kernel
and restart and have fun

example for the files:

/etc/mkinitcpio.d/kernel26example.preset :

source /etc/mkinitcpio.d/kernel26example.kver
########################################

PRESETS=('default' 'fallback')

default_config="/etc/mkinitcpio.conf"
default_image="/boot/kernel26example.img"

#fallback_config="/etc/mkinitcpio.d/kernel26example-fallback.conf"
#fallback_image="/boot/kernel26example-fallback.img"

/etc/mkinitcpio.d/kernel26example.kver :

# DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
ALL_kver='2.6.24-rc6'

change the 'example' for whatever u want

#7 2008-01-28 17:59:56

QGel

Hello,

i tried to build a working kernel with creating those two files. But I don't get far.

@B: Your method doesn't help to sad

What about setting up a knew System? Is it possible to choose the Highmem-support while installation? Or perhaps should I just use die 64bit version?

Greetz Q

smile

#8 2008-01-28 20:22:25

attila

QGel wrote:

i tried to build a working kernel with creating those two files. But I don't get far.

What does not work? The building of the kernel or the creating of the image?

QGel wrote:

What about setting up a knew System? Is it possible to choose the Highmem-support while installation? Or perhaps should I just use die 64bit version?

Do you know this hint http://www.linux.com/feature/119287 and that there is a database about the config parameters http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/? Sorry, i know only the theory because i have 2GB.:)

#9 2008-01-28 21:32:18

schivmeister
Developer/TU
Website

isn't highmen for > 4GB? and 32-bit can only use <= 3.5 GB.

I need real, proper pen and paper for this.

#10 2008-01-28 23:45:06

QGel

Hello,

@atilla: Both works, but the kernel doesn't boot. He says he does not found my harddrive. Also if I put the modules static into the kernel. Thanks for the links, i'll read tomorrow smile

@schivmeister: With 32bit your are able to address 4294967296 (=2^32). There are to possibilities for Highmemsupport. The first one is able to address 4GB (arch standard), the other allow's up to 64. Don't ask me how it works. Normally I would be able to address full ~4,2GB but you must consider that other devices like the sound card need to be addressed to.

But, can nobody tell something about the 64bit Archlinux? What about the software compatibility? Just said that I don't got problems with using a 64bit distro if it works nice. Or is it possibke to enable the 64GB Highmemsupport while installing Arch?

Last edited by QGel (2008-01-28 23:46:57)

smile

#11 2008-01-29 13:28:11

attila

QGel wrote:

@atilla: Both works, but the kernel doesn't boot. He says he does not found my harddrive. Also if I put the modules static into the kernel.

And the only difference is highmem? I know it from myself that i want "only to change one thing" in my kernel config but very seldom i change only one thing.:)

QGel wrote:

But, can nobody tell something about the 64bit Archlinux? What about the software compatibility? Just said that I don't got problems with using a 64bit distro if it works nice. Or is it possibke to enable the 64GB Highmemsupport while installing Arch?

Look in the arch wiki because this should answer the most of your questions in a better than anyone of us can do it. The only thing what i can say is that it works as arch32 but i have it only on a test partition and i don't work productive with it. From my view for you with 4GB RAM it could be a nice option to install it but read at first if you can live with this small points:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arc … _Arch64.3F

#12 2008-01-29 17:31:18

QGel

Thanks attila,

yesterday i tried to build a kernel with makepkg. But everytime i get the error "Missing permissions on Linux-2.6.24.tar.bz2". It is very strange, because the rights are set to 777. I get this error also while compiling as root (I know this is stupid - just for testing the rights).

I found the article in the Wiki. I think I'll try the 64bit Version, when I don't get the kernel working. But a kernel would be much cooler smile

smile

#13 2008-01-29 18:20:05

attila

QGel wrote:

yesterday i tried to build a kernel with makepkg. But everytime i get the error "Missing permissions on Linux-2.6.24.tar.bz2". It is very strange, because the rights are set to 777. I get this error also while compiling as root (I know this is stupid - just for testing the rights).

Have you another umask for your user than 0022? If yes see my sugesstion for makepkg in http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/9362. If no forget it. From my view 644 should be enough for the file. Sorry i never have had this message but good luck again.

#14 2008-01-29 18:41:27

lilsirecho
Veteran

The high memory setup in arch 32 bit is limited to 4GB and the actual level to which it can be accessed by the user is ~3.5GB.

The high memory 64GB highmem is available for CPU's with extended 32bit capability or with the core2 duo type processors programmed and provided with large memory to make use of it in 64 bit mode.

I don't have a 64bit system to verify if 32 bit operation provides greater than 4GB in those systems.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#15 2008-01-29 23:25:37

QGel

Hello again,

lilsirecho, i've got an intel core2duo (e6600). So it should work, or not?

@attila: I've checked my umask, it's 0022.

So, I'll try the 64bit version of Arch, when I install my new System. Otherwise I'll use the 32bit Version.

For starters: Thanks for your support and tips, I'll keep trying and give some Feedback smile

Greets QGel

Last edited by QGel (2008-01-29 23:26:11)

smile

#16 2008-01-30 13:25:20

iBertus

I'm using Arch64 right now to correctly address 8GB of memory. I didn't even want to try and use high-mem hacks to get it working (if that's even possible) and it works out of the box with Arch64. You don't loose too much in terms of compatibility with Arch64 just so long as you don't mind having to reinvent the wheel from time-to-time. I'm pretty happy and my system is responsive and works fine for the purpose it was built (running GRASS).

#17 2008-01-31 12:23:39

QGel

Hello,

I think I'll try the 64bit version. But is it right that I can't get Flash and Java-Plugins for my browser?

smile

#18 2008-01-31 15:19:16

Slammer64

You need to set your kernel config to use 64gig memory instead of 4, that will give you a PAE enabled kernel, I use it myself on my Arch box as I don't want the hassles of using the 64bit version due to program incompatibilities. It will be in the processor section under memory management.

Somewhere, just out of sight, the Penguins are gathering!

#19 2008-02-01 13:38:50

QGel

Sry, but the only thing I changed was the High Mem Support. I took the old kernel-config and just changed the Support from 4GB to 64GB. Nothing else. After compiling and installing the kernel I get the error that my root partition isn't found.

smile

#20 2008-02-01 14:31:44

attila

QGel wrote:

Sry, but the only thing I changed was the High Mem Support. I took the old kernel-config and just changed the Support from 4GB to 64GB. Nothing else. After compiling and installing the kernel I get the error that my root partition isn't found.

I suggest that you take a complete copy of the kernel package from abs and change the pkgname from kernel26 to at example kernel26devel. You have to change this files: PKGBUILD, kernel26.install and kernel26.preset (you can delete the fallback lines, if not than you have to take mkinitcpio-kernel26.conf too). I think that you have a problem on the way to install the kernel because the orginal finds your boot medium.

#21 2008-02-02 00:56:25

QGel

Hey,

I've got a running kernel. Now I chose the ABS (The Arc h Way). Now I am troubleshooting the nvidia drivers tongue

smile

Board footer