You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-26 15:44:35

Harey

Application development

Hello arch users,

I have some small programs I developed myself for specific purposes of our company. I used a RAD-Database application called 'Superbase' on windows (in fact this comes from the good old days when I had a commodore amiga smile) Unfortunately they won't run on wine so I have to develop them completely new in the future sad
What should I use here? The language needs to be easy to understand. Superbase looked a lot like object basic. It should be able to run as server-client in a network. This mainly aims at database work, some accounting and financial processes. In order to be more flexible it would be great if it runs on different OS, mainly windows and linux.
Java? How about performance? Any other suggestions?

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Thank you
Harvey

Linux is like a wigwam: No Gates, no Windows and an Apache inside

#2 2008-01-26 18:12:55

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Application development

I would suggest python as a language with sqllite for a database. Investigate sqlobject and sql_alchemy as database libraries.

Dusty

#3 2008-01-26 18:18:36

calef13

Qt4 has SQL and networking classes and is pretty easy to use if you are familiar with OO programing. It is also cross platform so it will run in windows, linux mac OS X etc..

More info here: http://doc.trolltech.com/4.0/index.html

Calef13

Last edited by calef13 (2008-01-26 18:19:27)

#4 2008-01-29 12:17:08

Harey

Dusty wrote:

I would suggest python as a language with sqllite for a database. Investigate sqlobject and sql_alchemy as database libraries.

Dusty,

I had a closer look. Looks promising, but I am used to a complete IDE. Can you recommend a specific one? Is there a Gui for designing databases available?

@Calef13:

Trolltech has been aquired by Nokia and thus is not interesting anymore.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Harvey

#5 2008-01-29 12:58:13

PJ

Harey wrote:

I am curious why this actually matters?

For what I have read it seems like Nokia isn't going to change the license stuff. If Nokia by any reason is discontinuing the free QT version it seems like the KDE Free Qt Foundation have the right to release it under a BSD-style license. I wouldn't be to worried about the fact that Trolltech has been aquired by Nokia.

"To fulfil the purpose of the Foundation, an agreement between Trolltech and the Foundation was made. This gives the Foundation the right to release Qt under a BSD-style license in case Trolltech doesn't continue the development of the Qt Free Edition for any reason including, but not limited to, a buy-out of Trolltech, a merger or bankruptcy."

http://www.kde.org/whatiskde/kdefreeqtfoundation.php

Last edited by PJ (2008-01-29 13:01:53)

#6 2008-01-29 13:09:59

Allan
Pacman
Website

Harey wrote:
Dusty wrote:

Dusty,

I had a closer look. Looks promising, but I am used to a complete IDE. Can you recommend a specific one? Is there a Gui for designing databases available?

Perhaps eclipse with the py-dev plugin.  Haven't used eclipse for python but I like eclipse+CDT for C++ despite being a bit heavy.

#7 2008-01-29 13:31:11

genisis300

i've been using ERIC for python based stuff it's not to bad and the QT Designer for interfaces

still working on a few project to get used to python an QT

"is adult entertainment killing our children or is killing our children entertaining adults?" Marilyn Manson

#8 2008-01-29 14:02:05

Harey

PJ wrote:
Harey wrote:

I am curious why this actually matters?

For what I have read it seems like Nokia isn't going to change the license stuff. If Nokia by any reason is discontinuing the free QT version it seems like the KDE Free Qt Foundation have the right to release it under a BSD-style license. I wouldn't be to worried about the fact that Trolltech has been aquired by Nokia.

In my opinion, Nokia will give a f*** about any agreement. The will kill Qt if it serves them in any way. The things they did here in Germany shortly ago (closing a factory in Bochum which was profitable, firing everybody there  and move it completely to a low-wage country just to earn even more money, not to mention millions of Euros they got before as subventions from the German government, later then announcing the highest profit in their business history) make me fear the will do anything if it comes to their minds. I see this as a complete lack of ethical consciousness... This is of cause my personal opinion and ideals and has nothing to do with Qt itself but for me this is enough to know. Don't get me wrong, Qt may be great anyway.

Harvey

Board footer