You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-27 00:30:36

vasanth
Website

Archlinux Review

Hi,

I just started to use Arch and I've written a review about Arch. You can read it at http://planetoss.com/detail.php?id=7.

Hope i'm not off-topic.

#2 2008-01-27 01:15:49

peets
Website

Re: Archlinux Review

I like your review very much. I'm happy to finally hear someone say that Arch is not only for geeks! It's so simple, almost anyone who can read and has some patience can get it running.

#3 2008-01-27 01:45:04

kensai
Website

peets wrote:

I like your review very much. I'm happy to finally hear someone say that Arch is not only for geeks! It's so simple, almost anyone who can read and has some patience can get it running.

Yeah, specially because of a recent review, wich was made by a whinner which only kept whining over how arch wouldn't install this application with this other application adn he had to install both applications, OMG, that was a total looser. I know most of you know about who am I talking.

Talking about your review, I like it a lot, very good structure and informational. Also, I like your KDE look (I mean the dark look), I think I'll have to work a bit more on mine, I haven't had time for looks. big_smile

Last edited by kensai (2008-01-27 01:49:50)

Follow me in: Identi.ca, Twitter, Google+

#4 2008-01-27 08:46:14

dolby

as i have said numerous times in these forums in occasions like this one, this article is not a review. i dont know how should someone call it, what comes close atm is a short desctiption of the installation procedure++, but its definately not a review.
this is like reading the title of a book and writing a review about it.
writing down that Arch doesnt have disadvantages is just plain wrong. as i have written in a similar thread yesterday, a person using Arch more than a week would have found at least 1 or 2 real ones.

ps. i am not trying to be harsh or aggressive here, just honest

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#5 2008-01-27 08:57:55

floke

arch is all about KISS (Keep It Simple and Stupid).
???
yikes

#6 2008-01-27 09:36:58

vasanth
Website

Dolby: i'm using arch for the last 3 weeks. As i said in the review( installation procedure++ smile ) , i'm not finding any major issues except when  i close the laptop lid, the monitor is not powered off. As i'm just a desktop user i might not be facing many issues.  Yes, the review seems more like a installation procedure++ smile when i look it now (after reading your comments).Thanks for your comments.

Floke: I just got that from  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/The_Arch_Way

#7 2008-01-27 10:46:36

PJ

It's actually: "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
I might be wrong on this but my impression is that the "Stupid" part is actually referring to the person that's reading the sentence.

Some stuff I found on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

Board footer