You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-27 12:33:47

mr.MikyMaus
Member
From: +3600 UT
Registered: 2006-03-31
Posts: 279

repository priority

Hi folks!

I wonder if there is a way to convince pacman to be repository-oriented rather than newest-version-oriented. What I mean is that I want to use just *some* packages from testing repo installing them manually by "pacman -S testing/pkgname" but I want it to ignore the testing repo (e.g. in pacman -Syu) unless explicitly asked for. I'm tired overwriting pacman.conf over and over again enabling and disabling testing repo..

I did some search, mostly on local forums and arch wikis, but did not find anything..

-miky


What happened to Arch's KISS? systemd sure is stupid but I must have missed the simple part ...

... and who is general Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Offline

#2 2008-01-27 12:36:14

dolby
Member
From: 1992
Registered: 2006-08-08
Posts: 1,581

Re: repository priority

You can move the testing repo on bottom of the list. Although you are supposed to use all packages from from testing or not at all. If problems occur when using only selected packages from it dont blame the developers


There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

Offline

#3 2008-01-27 12:45:35

mr.MikyMaus
Member
From: +3600 UT
Registered: 2006-03-31
Posts: 279

Re: repository priority

dolby wrote:

You can move the testing repo on bottom of the list.

Sorry, forgot to mention I've already tried this. Does not work. Pacman still tries to upgrade all packages present in both testing and local system.

dolby wrote:

Although you are supposed to use all packages from from testing or not at all. If problems occur when using only selected packages from it dont blame the developers

I am well aware of that and I do not plan to blame anyone but me when something gets wrong smile

Practically I only need one or two packages but I'm afraid of installing i.e. kernel from testing, especially today, when it wants to consume wifi drivers and who know what else. I cannot afford to be wirelessless atm.

-m.


What happened to Arch's KISS? systemd sure is stupid but I must have missed the simple part ...

... and who is general Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Offline

#4 2008-01-27 12:46:35

nDray
Member
From: Portugal
Registered: 2007-01-21
Posts: 143
Website

Re: repository priority

I think the best approach is to create two configuration files and use --config /etc/pacman_testing.conf everytime you want to use testing.

You can even edit your ~/.bashrc and add an alias like

alias pacmant='pacman --config /etc/pacman_testing.conf'

That way you just run pacmant like you would for pacman, but this way you are including the testing repo.


EDIT:
If you install the kernel from testing you most probably need all the drivers you use that are listed there.....

Last edited by nDray (2008-01-27 12:47:51)

Offline

#5 2008-01-27 12:49:58

mr.MikyMaus
Member
From: +3600 UT
Registered: 2006-03-31
Posts: 279

Re: repository priority

nDray wrote:

I think the best approach is to create two configuration files and use --config /etc/pacman_testing.conf everytime you want to use testing.

Good point, thanks! smile I'll consider it as an option.

But I was thinking more about a solution, rather than a workaround..

-m.

EDIT: just typo

Last edited by mr.MikyMaus (2008-01-27 12:52:02)


What happened to Arch's KISS? systemd sure is stupid but I must have missed the simple part ...

... and who is general Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Offline

#6 2008-01-27 12:55:36

dolby
Member
From: 1992
Registered: 2006-08-08
Posts: 1,581

Re: repository priority

mr.MikyMaus wrote:
dolby wrote:

You can move the testing repo on bottom of the list.

Sorry, forgot to mention I've already tried this. Does not work. Pacman still tries to upgrade all packages present in both testing and local system.

i have my local repo on top of every other and works just fine here

Last edited by dolby (2008-01-27 12:55:52)


There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

Offline

#7 2008-01-27 12:59:42

mr.MikyMaus
Member
From: +3600 UT
Registered: 2006-03-31
Posts: 279

Re: repository priority

dolby wrote:
mr.MikyMaus wrote:
dolby wrote:

You can move the testing repo on bottom of the list.

Sorry, forgot to mention I've already tried this. Does not work. Pacman still tries to upgrade all packages present in both testing and local system.

i have my local repo on top of every other and works just fine here

You've probably got a wrong idea - I do not have any local repo, by local system I meant packages installed locally. And pacman tends to upgrade them even there is no newer version present but in testing. That's what I want to avoid in the first place...

-m.


What happened to Arch's KISS? systemd sure is stupid but I must have missed the simple part ...

... and who is general Failure and why is he reading my harddisk?

Offline

#8 2008-01-27 15:13:54

shining
Pacman Developer
Registered: 2006-05-10
Posts: 2,043

Re: repository priority

mr.MikyMaus wrote:

You've probably got a wrong idea - I do not have any local repo, by local system I meant packages installed locally. And pacman tends to upgrade them even there is no newer version present but in testing. That's what I want to avoid in the first place...

-m.

What does pacman -Su --debug say?


pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB