You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-28 13:27:35

mrbug

pacman with root disabled

I am running a rootless system (passwd -l root) because I like the idea of not having a common username to attack. However, the new pacman/makepkg upgrade wants to me enter the root password in order to either make or install packages. I'm not sure which of the two causes the situation because it only really shows up when I do a yaourt -Syu --aur. Is there a way to make it work well with a system that doesn't have a working root user?

dvdtube - download all uploads from a YouTube user and then optionally create a DVD.
(Regular version AUR link / SVN version AUR link)

#2 2008-01-28 14:06:33

drf

Re: pacman with root disabled

Use sudo, so you won't need a root user to perform administration task. sudo pacman or sudo whatever will do the job.

#3 2008-01-28 14:48:16

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Yeah use sudo. It's designed for that purpose. Even though I wonder how you will get back the root account, since you need to be root to enable it. Isn't it?

Have you Syued today?
Free music for free people! | Earthlings

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#4 2008-01-28 15:32:59

mrbug

I'm using sudo, but it was complaining about being run as root (!) for some reason. I can do sudo passwd -u root to unlock the account, by the way.

Now that I think about it, this could be a yaourt problem. perhaps it's attempting to run makepkg the "wrong" way... I'll have to look at the code.

dvdtube - download all uploads from a YouTube user and then optionally create a DVD.

#5 2008-01-28 15:55:58

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

Yeah, it's a Yaourt issue, because it says there's a bug in the Kernel or something like that (there is an error that gives some information). So it needs to be run as root for installing binaries. So for now what I do is just using pacman for precompiled packages and yaourt for the PKGBUILDs (you don't need the root account for installing PKGBUILDs, at least not on my machine).

As for re-enabling the root account, I thought you hadn't sudo, that would have been an issue big_smile

Have you Syued today?

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

#6 2008-01-28 16:13:27

mrbug

Ah, that's what I thought. Where did you get the information about yaourt? I've checked the homepage and AUR, but haven't seen anything about that other than the "not yet compatible with pacman 3.1" line... Unless that's the main problem.

Thanks for the advice. I'll do what you're doing until yaourt is updated (or I update it myself).

#7 2008-01-28 16:31:34

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

mrbug wrote:

Ah, that's what I thought. Where did you get the information about yaourt? I've checked the homepage and AUR, ....

yaourt is not an official arch package, is not supported by the arch dev team, and thus would not have any news relating to it on the AUR homepage.

This thread ( http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=25718 ) is probably a good place to look for assistance with yaourt.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#8 2008-01-28 16:42:31

finferflu
Forum Fellow
Website

I get this error whenever I try to install binaries from the repos using pacman (a frontend for Yaourt):

Calling pacman... Please, enter root password. (due tu a bug in kernel updates sudo is not used)

Have you Syued today?

#9 2008-01-28 17:58:50

wain
Website

The correct message is:

"Sorry, because of a regression bug in pacman 3.1, you have to use sudo to allow pacman to be run as user
(see http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8905)"

yaourt use pacman -Spu to know wich packages to upgrade. Since pacman 3.1.1,  that's not possible without root privileges. I hope this regression will be fixed soon in pacman smile

Board footer