You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-29 13:57:24

genisis300

Looking to become a bit more involved?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but i'm sure you can move it.

I've been using arch for about 3-4 months now and it has been one of the best distros i have used.
I was using gentoo but got fed up compiling everything arch has provided the just the right mix of binary/configuration.

Anyhow i'm looknig to become a little more involved to see i can put something in to help people get more out of Arch

I've started learning Python / QT programming for a few little projects of my own. (ex Windows Program)

where would be the best place to start i'm already familer with the ABS / AUR system

Thanks
Matthew

"is adult entertainment killing our children or is killing our children entertaining adults?" Marilyn Manson

#2 2008-01-29 14:06:16

Allan
Pacman
Website

Re: Looking to become a bit more involved?

You can alway maintain some packages in the AUR.  Good quality PKGBUILDs are always useful.  You don't necessarily need to find a package that is not there either, as there are plenty of orphans.  It is always best if you adopt something you use though...

There are >500 bug in the bug tracker.  Try find some solutions to some. A good list of old candidates to solve is here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bug_Day_TODO .   Even confirming a bug is real can be a great help.

Other ideas:
  - contribute to the wiki. Help with translations if you are multilingual
  - answer questions in the forums/irc
  - contribute patches to one of Arch's projects. See http://projects.archlinux.org/
  - enable testing and find bugs before they reach the main repos.
  - I am sure there are more ideas....

In any case, find something that interests you and go for it.  There are plenty of people who can point you in the right direction if you get stuck.

#3 2008-01-29 14:43:41

bionnaki

Re: Looking to become a bit more involved?

write a a few wiki entries. i've written two and working on the 3rd.

Board footer