You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-29 21:09:01

colbert

Suggestions what to do with current box, getting new one

Hey guys just curious if I could get some ideas. My current machine (p4 3.4ghz EE, 1.2gb ram, BFG 7600GS 512mb) will be free for any purpose once I get my new build this week. I have several sata drives, an extra monitor, kb, mouse, etc. to make it fully functional alongside the new one if need be. What could I do with it? I don't need to sell it and would like some use of it. Any ideas?? I was thinking of a server, but I have a domain with host and tons of storage that does that more than well enough right now. Maybe a game server? What would you guys do ??

Any ideas are much appreciated, TIA everyone smile smile

#2 2008-01-29 21:13:28

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Suggestions what to do with current box, getting new one

Use it for testing packages...install "Live" OS'es such as FaunOS..pclinuxOS, puppy linux..dsl... and many others.

Good luck with the new one but do keep the old!!!!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2008-01-29 21:14:39

genisis300

A home fileserver /backup always faster than uploading to a FTP
a testing box smile stick ssh on it and use it for breaking your system smile
mail server /spam filter thing

loads of options really smile you could do all that and still use it as a game server

"is adult entertainment killing our children or is killing our children entertaining adults?" Marilyn Manson

#4 2008-01-29 21:18:11

colbert

Thanks guys!

Yes, I didn't think of these. Installing different distros would be great for me to learn and explore linux further smile

genisis300 wrote:

a testing box smile stick ssh on it and use it for breaking your system smile
mail server /spam filter thing

What do you mean stick ssh and break the system? I like the sound of that big_smile But exactly what you mean ??

And I like the sound of mail server. Now I mainly use GMail for it and other 2 accounts, what would be benefit to mail server?

#5 2008-01-29 21:21:25

genisis300

lol
i always try things that say might speed up my laptop on another machine so that you can see the difference etc but with out screwing up your system.
tweaking kernels etc

"is adult entertainment killing our children or is killing our children entertaining adults?" Marilyn Manson

Board footer