You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-01 10:46:09

Botch

Acer TM Compatability

I've got Arch to work and install on a Gateway M520 laptop previously, but this laptop will be going to my girlfriend and having XP (gasp) put back onto it for her ease of use.  Therefore, I am interested in purchasing a new laptop, something very mobile and small, yet well designed and compatible with linux (Arch).

Mobility, lightweight, and overall bang for the buck is my main concern.

In terms of compatibility, all the bells and whistles need not work, my main requirements are wireless, chipset compatibility, and sound.  If anything beyond that works, i.e. the media card readers, I will be very pleased.

The laptop I had in mind was this one:

Acer Travelmate TM6292

Please, if anyone has experience with the above laptop or another with similar specs and had feedback on compatibility please let me know before I make this purchase!

(Note:  If anyone else knows of a laptop in the $1000 or less range less than 13" and with similar specs please feel free to post alternatives)

Thanks Arch Community!
Botch

Last edited by Botch (2008-02-01 10:46:35)

#2 2008-02-01 17:39:14

elliott

Re: Acer TM Compatability

It looks like that particular Acer is all Intel based, which should work very nicely. I can't be 100% sure of the wireless, but I think it is an Intel 4965AGN, a well supported chipset. Doubt there will be an issue with the sound. Acer's rarely have anything that would prevent a fully working Linux install, I have 2 Aspires and have no problems at all. The card reader will work, but I think only with SD and MMC, no xD or MS yet. The fingerprint reader is not something I am familiar with, but there is a possibility that it will work with ThinkFinger.

Last edited by elliott (2008-02-01 17:45:22)

#3 2008-02-02 03:11:19

Botch

Awesome thank you very much for a speedy response.  I sometimes see lots of negative comments towards Acer and positive ones towards Lenovas, is this site just particularly biased?  I don't see how one laptop can necessarily be much better than another considering most components are probably made by the same large companies.

#4 2008-02-02 03:43:28

elliott

I've heard Lenovo's are great, I don't have one though, I do have an older T21 ThinkPad and it is a great system. Acer just doesn't have the reputation that IBM/Lenovo does.

Also, people like to compare Acer Aspires to ThinkPads, which isn't a fair comparison, my Aspire 3680 cost me $400 brand new, Aspires are dirt cheap budget laptops. The TravelMates are closer to ThinkPads as far as build quality, and price bracket.

Board footer