You are not logged in.

#26 2008-02-10 20:39:30

V01D

Re: Arch at the workplace??

I have a big fileserver with LDAP, NFS and such (almost 1T of space) being run by ArchLinux (switched over from slackware, best decision I've made).
Also, the two Beowulf-style clusters I administer (one which is now being phased out, 32bit) both run ArchLinux (using an automated-installation system I created (www.archcluster.com.ar)). The second cluster (and newer) has almost 20 nodes (8 Pentium Ds and 10 Intel QuadCores (don't remember the name)). The work _flawlessly_ smile

#27 2008-02-10 21:20:07

ralvez
Website

I have been using Linux in my workstation for 7 years now and Arch for +/- 2 .
I'm the "geek" in the professional development department of a college which happens to be a windows shop, but so far Linux/Arch have been my only OS and have had no problems interacting with every one else.

R.

#28 2008-02-11 14:58:17

nochternus

I've been using Arch for about 5 years now (since Dragon).  I have used it on my home desktop/servers for years now.  For the last 2+ years I have run Arch on work machines as servers, firewall and training stations.  I am also (when I find time) trying to ensure that I can switch over to Arch for my workstation, but unfortunately, the main program that we use here (which was developed by some ninny before me) uses VB.Net.  However when I find a suitable transition development environment, can ensure that the program will work reliably under mono or similar, I will be using it on my workstation as well.

warning: do not do anything yourself.  It might, undesireably, promote learning.

#29 2008-02-11 15:12:04

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

nochternus wrote:

I've been using Arch for about 5 years now (since Dragon).  I have used it on my home desktop/servers for years now.  For the last 2+ years I have run Arch on work machines as servers, firewall and training stations.  I am also (when I find time) trying to ensure that I can switch over to Arch for my workstation, but unfortunately, the main program that we use here (which was developed by some ninny before me) uses VB.Net.  However when I find a suitable transition development environment, can ensure that the program will work reliably under mono or similar, I will be using it on my workstation as well.

This post caught my eye; Using Arch for 5 years....never opened his mouth in all that time! 1 post!
You must be married. tongue

#30 2008-02-11 15:17:58

nochternus

I was on #archlinux in the beginning and then I kind-of disappeared.  I won't say married, but dedicated to keeping my sanity via showing her attention, yes.  I also didn't register till recently.  I guess you could say I was a bit of a troll.  always lurking in the background, using (complaining about broken installer pieces and figuring out ways around it instead of reporting it), etc.  Arch wasn't my first, but I didn't like the flourish and 'girth' of all the others and it was actually my 2nd (after SuSE).  Also I was into punishing myself for apparent misdeeds because I was a linux newbie when I started using Arch.  Now my Fu is... average!

warning: do not do anything yourself.  It might, undesireably, promote learning.

#31 2008-02-11 16:40:13

darose

murffatksig wrote:

I'm just curious how many archers use Arch at work?

I use Arch as my main workstation at my current job (a software company) and also used it as a small, personal server at my previous job (an investment bank).

#32 2008-02-11 16:53:54

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

nochternus wrote:

I was on #archlinux in the beginning and then I kind-of disappeared.  I won't say married, but dedicated to keeping my sanity via showing her attention, yes.  I also didn't register till recently.  I guess you could say I was a bit of a troll.  always lurking in the background, using (complaining about broken installer pieces and figuring out ways around it instead of reporting it), etc.  Arch wasn't my first, but I didn't like the flourish and 'girth' of all the others and it was actually my 2nd (after SuSE).  Also I was into punishing myself for apparent misdeeds because I was a linux newbie when I started using Arch.  Now my Fu is... average!

Well, welcome back.
And keep her happy!

#33 2008-02-11 17:07:46

KimTjik

For now a combination of Windows and Arch, but soon my persoanl workstation will be 75 % Arch since some necessary Windows applications can be done through rdesktop.

#34 2008-02-11 18:48:04

franzb

I'm using Arch exclusively at work (well except for the rare cases I get MS Access files...when I have to boot to XP)
We're doing Java Dev and Databases. There's more and more of the devs starting to use Linux (mainly Ubuntu here, but they get interested when I show off arch wink )

#35 2008-02-11 22:03:42

ss2

Thanks to rdesktop, I can use Arch on my desktop too. I'm the only user with Arch, but my Boss uses Debian testing. The rest use Windows. And our servers use Testing too.

Since I use Arch at work, I must say that it is very usable and stable.

I just need to find out how to throttle the Sempron K8 processor. But I don't think that one can.
If I find some time, I'll try to get Compiz working, to show of some eye candy. wink

#36 2008-02-13 15:52:07

soffcore

I have been using arch here at my workplace for 3 years now as a development box, for an Intraweb/Oracle Reporting Portal.  Due to the requirement for Oracle 10g production uses RHEL.  Stable, fast, heck its the only OS I use.. even at home big_smile

#37 2008-02-14 09:44:28

ruscook
Website

Well my main work is at a large state gov't agency so I don't get a choice there - Windows all the way.

At home it's arch on ALL PCs and 1 is dual boot for my daughter - she prefers windows, pooor misguided soul.

My other job, is a cycle shop, we use windows for the point of sale - because it's what the shop came with, and arch for the internet/mail PC (because it won't get viruses, and runs on an old PII)... The staff don't know it's Linux in the sense they don't know the other machine is windows. It's just a PC and they look a bit different, but as they just "use" them and they generally work they don't care. It helps that I have OpenOffice on both so they're not used to other MS programs.

Russ

#38 2008-02-15 04:53:30

bluetooth_decay

I loaded Arch on an old IBM PII, 64MB RAM.  Wanted to run an old DOS app under it, and Arch has plenty of DOS-only and full-PC emulators, but I just couldn't quite get it to work right with any of them.  So I set up a dual-boot with Arch and DOS in Grub, and boot into Arch when I need to back up the box over the net.

That's not really a full use of Arch, but it let me use a PC that probably wouldn't even install XP.  I'd like to use it on my desktop, but we are all corporatized IT, which means no Arch for you.  But when I bring my personal laptop in to do presentations or whatever, I have to set aside 5 or 10 minutes up front to let the audience OD on my Compiz eye-candy ("Is that Vista?"  "Naw, Vista doesn't look that cool").

I'll probably be looking at Arch or the only other free OS I have time for, OpenBSD, for a PostgreSQL server I want to set up.

I just have to add, many thanks to the Arch developers.  I started with Red Hat, then Slackware (which I liked, but really had no package management at the time), then no Linux for awhile, then Debian (wouldn't install), then Gentoo (I wasted so much time on compiling, only to have my machine end up broken most of the time -- and I wasn't going crazy with the optimizations), then Lunar, and finally Arch.  Yes, you have to know a bit of Linux, but Arch saves you from most of the head-banging -- I had to set up X, but all the other hardware mostly just works.  And to have such a stable system combined with rolling releases and up-to-date software -- it's truly amazing.

#39 2008-02-15 13:34:59

rossm

After many years running first Slackware and then Redhat servers for several small isp's I am now installing Arch systems as file and mail servers for small business. I have also convinced a couple of small companies to use Arch on workstations when upgrading older windows based systems. Arch runs my office and home computers as well as my media centre.
Thanks to Judd and and all the devs, TU's and Arch users who have contributed to make a wonderfully simple and powerful distro.

#40 2008-02-15 20:31:58

soloport

Started with RH/FC.  Since July, 2005, have been close to 100% Arch (laptops, workstations, servers, "live" thumb drives).  Our bookkeeper uses QuickBooks via qemu-kvm -- but that's it.  Local repository updates LAN/WAN at least once a week (about 20 boxes in all).  Arch is quite rock solid.  Gets the job done.  Stays out of the way.

#41 2008-02-16 05:08:45

timm

My desktop machines are windows; several programs that aren't available on linux and apparently don't like wine.  I run Arch on 2 servers.  The talk of a stable arch branch is interesting to me for those two.

#42 2008-02-16 22:15:21

Jerry

I work as a freelance web php developer and I have a startup, I use arch in both.

#43 2008-02-18 06:55:04

SiC

I run arch pretty much as often as I can on my laptop, although I am unable to run some applications that I want (namely Minitab / SPSS / MatLAB / Derive) easily through X, so I just use rdesktop for them. When I am on the move I have to boot into Windows for that, so I keep a small vista partition on the laptop.

Other than that my main machine runs linux fulltime, and I use cedega to run most of my games. Seems to work for me.

On both machines I run a fluxbox based WM, and use slim as my login manager.

#44 2008-02-22 05:48:39

shattrell

Yeah, I've been using a variety of linux flavours for the last 5  years in the workplace. I started out with Gentoo which was a good way to learn linux, then a friend introduced me to Arch and whilst I may have strayed away from it every now and then, I always come back to it! I use Arch on my work laptop and any windows stuff can be done via rdesktop. My boss and I are both linux converts and are running an almost completely linux backend barring citrix servers and AD domain controllers. Trying to figure out a way of phasing it out... samba 4. Any suggestions? I also running consulting notebooks in our clinics that use Xubuntu.

#45 2008-02-22 17:16:26

gdv
Website

Use Arch at work desktop already about 4 month. And move to Linux (Debian Etch) my workmate :-). He still afraid move to Arch, but already interested.
Arch on my notebook since I buy it about 3 month ago.

Uptime: 36 days, F@H score: 17508 (one processor during about 4 month almost continuously, ArchLinux team of course :-)

#46 2008-03-12 16:53:06

proc

I brought Arch to my work place a more than a year ago (when I was hired) and during last month I converted a colleague to Arch! Others are using Macs, Ubuntu or Debian but someone is impressed by the booting speed and up to date packages, so I could manage to convert some other users.

#47 2008-03-12 22:43:44

TheBodziO
Website

Unfortunately my work is windows dominated world sad. Out of the neccessity – equipment is a PCs, profile is DTP, suite is adobe/corel. But I want to use an arch box as a router/server to replace one damn sensless windows box that runs nat for us (nightmarish little thing wink ).

@ss2: how about creating some „Honest Bender's Bending Rodriguez of Arch Club"? I've seen that at least Jessehk, Acid7711 and bender02 have some „tendency" towards joining wink. It would be nice to know how many people are „dee greadest" around big_smile. Heh – not to mention „shiny metal ass" wink. Seriously: I'm going to start a thread about it someday and… „This time I mean it" wink.

It's not the best thing when they call you a "member" you know… wink

#48 2008-03-16 22:04:52

ss2

TheBodziO wrote:

@ss2: how about creating some „Honest Bender's Bending Rodriguez of Arch Club"? I've seen that at least Jessehk, Acid7711 and bender02 have some „tendency" towards joining wink. It would be nice to know how many people are „dee greadest" around big_smile. Heh – not to mention „shiny metal ass" wink. Seriously: I'm going to start a thread about it someday and… „This time I mean it" wink.

A "shiny metal ass" club? Bender has been for years my standard avatar in the communities I hang around, although he maybe doesn't completely fit to my character.

</offtopic> wink

#49 2008-03-16 23:20:00

TheBodziO
Website

This is the case with me too smile (about not matching my character completely wink and stuff)

A "shiny metal ass" club you say? wink count me in!

It's not the best thing when they call you a "member" you know… wink

#50 2008-03-22 11:17:12

TheGrudge
Website

I also run arch at work, on my laptop and on two servers...

digiKam developer - www.digikam.org

Board footer