You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-02 16:15:35

HyperBaton

[SOLVED]Adding new empty hard disk gives me a superblock error on boot

Okay, so I just added a 500 gig P-ATA hard disk to my Arch linux server. After fixing grub issues I managed to start booting Arch. When checking the filesystems, the booting halts with this error:

/dev/sdb1:
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

I suppose this has something to do with the fact that /dev/sdb1 used to be a Ext3 partition on my 80 gig harddisk, which has now moved to /dev/sdc. Because /dev/sdb has no partitions at all at the moment.

So now I have only access to the maintenance shell, does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this?

Last edited by HyperBaton (2008-02-02 17:43:11)

#2 2008-02-02 16:25:18

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED]Adding new empty hard disk gives me a superblock error on boot

Format the drive in gparted......

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2008-02-02 17:03:26

HyperBaton

Re: [SOLVED]Adding new empty hard disk gives me a superblock error on boot

It's official: I'm a dumbass.

It wasn't the new hard disk itself that was the real problem, the problem was I hadn't altered my fstab to reflect the changed order of the hard drives. And that fixed it!

I have one more question though. When I was in the maintenance shell, when I tried to reboot, I got these errors:

shutdown: /dev/initctl: No such file or directory
init: /dev/initctl: No such file or directory

Can anyone tell me why these occur? I had to reboot using "reboot -f".

Board footer