You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-02 17:05:12

Thoht

Trouble connecting to the Internet post install (DHCP, weblogin)

Hello!

I installed Archlinux from a DVD (not FTP) and everything went smoothly to the point where I was supposed to upgrade Pacman according to the "Beginners Guide". Now I've configured /etc/rc.conf properly, and when I attempt to ping e.g. google.com it finds it, and ifconfig looks peachy, but I can't actually connect to anything. On OS X it was exactly the same, I had all the proper settings, but I had to log in via a webpage provided by my ISP using the username and password they sent me. But how do I do this in Archlinux?

Credit to KiwiesRuleXD @ DeviantArt for the avatar.

#2 2008-02-02 19:06:03

tigrmesh
IRC Op

Re: Trouble connecting to the Internet post install (DHCP, weblogin)

Ouch.

There is a feature request to include a text-based web browser on the install CD, which I thought was stupid until I read your post.  http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 66#p324966  If you don't give up on Arch (or even if you do), go vote for it.  If you can, leave comments.

#3 2008-02-02 19:30:19

Thoht

Well I can confirm this is the way it is for me right now. I'm stuck using wget to attempt authenticate myself by looking at the source of the weblogin on another computer and the source of the files I get with wget to trace the forms and make out the proper commands to post correct data in one giant mongo command. It's a timeconsuming and awkward process at the very least. Got the login part covered now though, all I need to do now is disable my other computer from access (which can only be done from a different computer, yay for clever ISPs!), and then enable this one.

At least they didn't make a pure Flash-based login. Will definitely vote for that Links implementation...

#4 2008-02-03 16:11:52

Thoht

Couldn't solve the problem with wget, several PHP variables were used twice and stuff. I'm stuck.

#5 2008-02-03 17:59:13

tigrmesh
IRC Op

That's too bad.  You need a working internet connection to get the full power of Arch.

See if you can find an unofficial repository with the packages (pkg.tar.gz) for links, elinks or lynx and their dependencies.  Otherwise, you could try getting a hold of the source code and compiling.  Gcc is in base-devel (pacman -Qg base-devel) or you can pull the packages off the CD:

base-devel
    abs  autoconf  automake  bin86  bison  csup  diffutils  ed  fakeroot  flex  
    gcc  libtool  m4  make  patch  pkgconfig

I don't know what else to tell you...

#6 2008-02-03 19:30:01

Thoht

I haven't been able to find anything despite RTFMing and Googling, and compiling it on my own is a bit above my capabilities I'm afraid. However, I''ve been delving deeper into this, and may have found a workaround (still using wget).

The scenario is that I start my Macintosh with a Ubuntu LiveCD to make it log out from the Internet Access. It is still tied to my MAC-adress, but I have found that by doing this and not logging in on the weblogin page, I can boot up my other computer with Ubuntu installed, start Firefox, kick out my Macintosh from Internet Access, and then grant the Ubuntu computer Internet Access. Having done that, the new MAC-adress granted access is now the one I (am trying to) install Archlinux on. So I reboot with the Archlinux CD and install it like I've done before according to the "Beginners Guide". No hardware issues encountered, I'm prompted to reboot, I do so, then log in as root, BUT, when I now run ifconfig only "lo" is up. It hasn't been that way before. I start up "eth0" anyway, but can't recieve an IP-adress. This is so very strange, because on my first install of Archlinux, I managed to get one despite not being granted full Internet access as I have always been before. Starting it with an Ubuntu LiveCD leaves me with the same "error", not recieving an IP-adress. I also note that during shutdown from root in Archlinux, it fails to shut down the network interface... something. The text scrolls by a wee bit too fast for me to catch the whole thing.

So something that previously worked during my first installation of Archlinux, now doesn't, despite me having installed it exactly the same way both times. The only thing that'd have changed is that the ISP Internet Access is now tied to this machines MAC-adress instead of my Macintosh MAC-adress.

I'm thinking that if I manage to solve this part, I could move on quite easily with a wget command. When I don't have to kick out another machine from Internet Access, the post data variables are only used once, and I should be able to get through.

By the way, the ethernet device (not sure about the correct words for these things) is integrated on the motherboard, which is a Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2L.

#7 2008-02-04 19:29:21

synorgy
Website

I have much the same issue (I have to login with Cisco's Clean Access products here on campus). The problem is that links doesn't have the support for Javascript that I need, I believe (unless I'm an idiot and have misread something etc.). My verification went smoothly with elinks, but that requires a few more packages to be installed. You can find the deps on the aur / packages search page. What I did was download them on my girlfriend's laptop, and move them over via a flashdrive. It took a while, but not NEAR as long as attempting to compile Xorg.

"Unix is basically a simple operating system, but you have to be a genius to understand the simplicity." (Dennis Ritchie)

#8 2008-02-05 02:42:14

tigrmesh
IRC Op

@Thoht - From a live CD you can chroot into your system after you're online.  Instructions here:  http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ins … _Interface.  I can't believe I didn't think of it before.

@synorgy - The developers don't always read the forums; consider voting on the links proposal mentioned above & leaving a comment about that javascript issue.

Compile?  Did I suggest that?  (hits side of head with hand)

#9 2008-02-09 15:23:07

Thoht

Thanks Tigr, I'll try that out as soon as I can! On another note, Links is now supposedly implemented as I understand it, but where do I download the latest ISO with it? Bit new to the whole thing as I previously mentioned. smile

#10 2008-02-09 16:08:11

byte

There is no ISO yet. Wait for kernel 2.6.24.x to appear in core and after that have an eye on the frontpage and /iso folder on the mirrors.

#11 2008-02-09 16:54:31

ploub

This is a long shot and may not have anything to do with your problem, but I had all sorts of problems connecting to internet on my laptop after installing. I could connect using links and konqueror but not firefox galeon or thunderbird. What I did in the end was this:

mv .gtkrc-2.0 .gtkrc-2.0.old

and all was well.
HTH and good luck:/

Board footer