You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-03 13:38:34

xelados
Website

dotbak - Backup files with ease

Link: dotbak v0.1

About dotbak
A few days ago, I was thinking about the importance of dotfiles to the average Linux user, and how important it is to keep a regular backup of them, among other files. Thus, dotbak was born. I designed it with simplicity and power in mind. What it does is read a list of files (in ~/.dotbakrc) and compresses them into a tar.gz archive in the working directory. Just make sure each file is separated by a newline, e.g.

~/.vimrc
~/.bashrc
~/bin/

Let me know what you guys think; I'd like to know if I can improve it.

Issues
- I can't seem to figure out how to make 'tar' ignore directory structure when adding files to the archive. As a result, it's best to extract the files from / when you need to restore the backup. If anyone can help me figure out a solution, I'd be grateful.

[EDIT] Fixed broken link. Hah!

Last edited by xelados (2008-02-03 13:39:06)

#2 2008-02-05 05:22:23

joephantom
Website

Re: dotbak - Backup files with ease

xelados wrote:

I can't seem to figure out how to make 'tar' ignore directory structure when adding files to the archive. As a result, it's best to extract the files from / when you need to restore the backup. If anyone can help me figure out a solution, I'd be grateful.

Are you using  -P, --absolute-paths option?

By striving to do the impossible, man has always achieved what is possible. Those who have cautiously done no more than they believed possible have never taken a single step forward - Mikhail Bakunin

Board footer