You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-06 14:17:24

TheGrudge
Website

Nagios - Starting service problem

Hi,

when I run /etc/rc.d/nagios, I have to press ENTER while the script says [BUSY], otherwise it will not continue to do anything. After pressing ENTER, the state of the daemon changes to DONE and the booting process continues.
This is very annoying when you restart the server and forget about this issue... the server is not reachable via SSH and I have to go into the server room to press ENTER during the booting process.
How can I fix this? Why is this happening?

digiKam developer - www.digikam.org

#2 2008-02-06 19:40:56

Zer0

Re: Nagios - Starting service problem

Not sure why it's happening as I don't use nagios but I do have a suggestion.

Try backgrounding the daemon by adding @ in front of nagios on your Daemons line in rc.conf
If not.. maybe you could post the contents of the file for us to take a look at.

#3 2008-02-26 14:19:34

lordarthas
Website

Re: Nagios - Starting service problem

Hello!

The problem is that nagios seems to be wanting that the user nobody has a password, so it asks for a new password when starting. Since the init script redirects everything to /dev/null you don't see anything and, when hitting enter (that is, an empty password) the password request fails and the script continues its execution.

To fix this problem I assigned a password to the nobody user with:

passwd nobody

The system seems to work perfectly, however I don't know if this password might make something else fail...

Michele.

Board footer