You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-07 08:13:05

venky80

minimal packages

Hi, I am looking for a minimal package list which will pull in all the relevant dependency by itself....
in short if I do pacman -Sy (list of packages) I should have a full working system.
I know there is a base install, but I do not want the packages which are not necessary for my system (I have seen in some threads which state  that there are in fact packages in base install which are not necessary)
So here is what I basically want.
Step 1) Minimal base install + internet connectivity (so that I have a skeletal system with internet )
Step 2) Pacman -Sy firefox kdemod Xorg etc (essential packages which i need)

Is it possible? Can someone shed some light on this, I have seen other threads which have discussed it in past, but none of them gave a clear picture.
Thanks

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

#2 2008-02-07 08:42:19

pseb

Re: minimal packages

hi,
what's wrong with the standard base install plus the packages you need? arch's base system is already really barebone. you might win some MB hd-space by removing some unneeded core-packages, but i don't see any other advantage...
and last but not least: it's less work to make a standard core install ;-)
greets,
pseb

#3 2008-02-07 16:49:32

tigrmesh
IRC Op

I agree with pseb about the base install being less work.  wink 

The install guide http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Off … tall_Guide discusses this - look for the heading Select Packages (may be out-of-date, but it describes the process).  You won't need most of the packages on this page http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wireless_Setup (if you even need any).  If you don't use ssh, say no to openssh.  Also, if know you're never going to compile anything (including using AUR), you probably won't need base-devel

pacman -Sg base-devel
base-devel
    abs  autoconf  automake  bin86  bison  csup  diffutils  ed  fakeroot  flex  
    gcc  libtool  m4  make  patch  pkgconfig

I'd think twice about the last one, though.  AUR is a big part of Arch.

EDIT:  You can also follow the suggestions in this thread http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=43518.

Last edited by tigrmesh (2008-02-07 16:58:54)

#4 2008-02-07 17:02:22

Crooksey
Website

I would install all you want extra package wise, then run

pacman -Q >> package.list

Now open package.list and that will list every installed package, then keep that open and open a terminal, then run..

pacman -R <pkgname>

To remove anyunwanted packages, it will also tell you if this program is a dependency, so not to remove it, unless you really know what you are doing.

Thats how I like to trim my system, if you use the package manage "yaourt", it also lists unused packages on your system, can be helpfull with trimming.

Arch Linux since 2006
Python Web Developer + Sys Admin (Gentoo/BSD)

#5 2008-02-07 18:12:55

venky80

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I will try to test it.
pseb:  I know the base install is really basic..but there are packages which i do not want such as lilo, I am just trying to find out what is the minimal packages I have to install b4 I can customize it however I want it with whatever DE/WM.
My whole intention is to have a single line pacman -Sy package list which has just the package I really really need.
Thanks

#6 2008-02-07 23:54:29

Zer0

This has been talked about before but just to emphasize this.  I think most devs assume that the full base is installed and don't always list base packages as a dependency in a package.  Take sed for example.. it's used in many packages but almost never listed as a PKGBUILD dependency for those packages.

Just be aware if you start poking around, uninstalling base packages you may create future headaches that outweigh the benefit of removing a few MB of packages. IMHO

#7 2008-02-10 13:16:04

venky80

Thank you ZerO for the insight

Board footer