You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-07 14:47:30

saciel

dual head issue with intel 945gm/i810; single head not working

So first of all let me explain what I'm planning to do. I've just set up a new system, with a working Xorg configuration on a Laptop with an Intel 945GM using the xf86-video-intel drivers. Now it's time, to set up dual head again. I had this well configured on an old system - unfortunatelly, the old xorg.conf is lost.

For dual head I decide to use i810 drivers instead of intel, because their approach to dualhead seems to be more convenient to me. Intel uses one device section, one screen and two monitors (which are statically linked in the device section) in xorg.conf, while i810 uses two devices, and any number of sreens and monitors. Using different serverlayout sections I can create a number of variations that I can simply start from the command line with "startx -layout SERVERLAYOUT" making it easy to configure my desktop for my home, working office and without external monitor.

I configure according to my old - lost - configuration, as parts of it are still available in an old topic:
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=35577

Dual head works, no problem about that. But if I unplug the external monitor, single head won't start again telling me that he found screens, but none of them has a useable configuration.

Plugging in the monitor again works, no matter if I start dual or single head. It doesn't even matter if the monitor is switched on or off, being connected is just enough. Of course this doesn't help me a lot because I usually need to start single head mode when there is no monitor around...

I tried playing with the device options for i810, like DevicePrecense and so on, but - unfortunatelly - to no avail.

They say if you reverse play a Windows CD you can hear satanic verses... But wanna know what's even worse? If you forward play it, it's gonna install Windows on your system!

Board footer