You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-11 02:50:21

Rnicholson

[SOLVED] SLiM will not use thinkfinger for authentication

As the title of the post says, I can't get SLiM to utilize thinkfinger for authentication.

I've setup PAM to try to use thinkfinger.so first
from /etc/pam.d/login:

auth sufficient pam_thinkfinger.so
auth required pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass

However, when I go to login via SLiM it won't prompt for the "password or swipe finger", it just asks for a password (which does work). I'm also able to use thinkfinger to authenticate sudo and su just fine... (I edited the respective pam.d/ files).

Any one able to help?

Last edited by Rnicholson (2008-02-17 15:35:45)

#2 2008-02-11 05:28:59

Sigi

Re: [SOLVED] SLiM will not use thinkfinger for authentication

Welcome to the Arch Boards, Rnicholson!

This might help. I'm not using slim but thinkfinger itself works great here. Haven't messed around with PAM configs in a while.

By the way: which version of thinkfinger do you use? I'm maintaining the thinkfinger-svn package in the AUR and I'm kind of stuck in using svn rev. 88 as this is the last working one on my T43.

Cheers Sigi

edit: Well, I just read through the thread I posted the link to. Too much information isn't in it...

Last edited by Sigi (2008-02-11 05:42:47)

Haven't been here in a while. Still rocking Arch. smile

#3 2008-02-11 11:15:42

nightmorph
Website

It's okay that it doesn't ask to swipe your finger. Swipe your finger anyway. You can actually edit the text prompt in your SLiM theme. It's hardcoded into each SLiM theme config file -- if you want the text to be different, you have to change it; pam_thinkfinger won't change it for you.

I use SLiM on my laptop and it works just fine with thinkfinger. All I did was edit the appropriate config file line to say "Enter password/Scan finger". Give it a shot. wink

Developer, Gentoo Linux

#4 2008-02-11 13:16:24

Sigi

Wow, cool smile

#5 2008-02-11 14:11:27

Rnicholson

nightmorph wrote:

It's okay that it doesn't ask to swipe your finger. Swipe your finger anyway. You can actually edit the text prompt in your SLiM theme. It's hardcoded into each SLiM theme config file -- if you want the text to be different, you have to change it; pam_thinkfinger won't change it for you.

I use SLiM on my laptop and it works just fine with thinkfinger. All I did was edit the appropriate config file line to say "Enter password/Scan finger". Give it a shot. wink

Oh, sorry... I should have mentioned that I did try swiping my finger anyway at the "password" prompt. No dice. sad

I tried turning on logging in pam.d/login and I don't see anything (in /usr/var/log/auth.log) for when I login with SLiM. I don't see any options in /etc/slim.conf about pam, just settings for xauth. So, what does SLiM use? I guess I should also mention that I installed SLiM via pacman, perhaps there is a source config option that I need? ...Cause it appears SLiM isn't using pam.

@Sigi - Do you find that the thinkfinger-svn version is better than the 0.3 release? Is there better support, other features? I have a T61p and find 0.3 works well (obviously other than this SLiM issue I'm having; which probably unrelated).

Last edited by Rnicholson (2008-02-11 14:12:42)

#6 2008-02-11 15:24:29

Sigi

Rnicholson wrote:

@Sigi - Do you find that the thinkfinger-svn version is better than the 0.3 release? Is there better support, other features? I have a T61p and find 0.3 works well (obviously other than this SLiM issue I'm having; which probably unrelated).

I started using thinkfinger-svn at about thinkfinger 0.2 (I'm not sure about this) and used and updated it up to rev 88. I don't think that I've tried thinkfinger 0.3 so I can't compare them. I don't even know if thinkfinger 0.3 is a rev higher or lower than svn rev 88.

And with regard to your SLiM problem: you did hit <enter> before your finger swipe?

#7 2008-02-17 03:07:25

Rnicholson

Ok. Took a few minutes today to look at this again... and figured it out and it was what I suspected... the SLiM package from extra/ wasn't compiled with PAM support.

$ ldd `which slim` | grep pam
$

So, I dug up the slim package source from an abs tree and modified the 'make' line in the PKGBUILD

make USE_PAM=1 || return 1

Now, ldd reports slim is compiled with pam...

$ ldd `which slim` | grep pam
        libpam.so.0 => /lib/libpam.so.0 (0xb7cc2000)
$

Restarted SLiM and now, fingerprint reader works like a champ with SLiM.

#8 2008-02-17 14:55:28

iggy

i had the same problem and was wondered, that everybody says it must work out of the box ... i would never have found out this. so i added your solution to the thinkfinger wiki page.

please add the solved tag to the thread title.

Last edited by iggy (2008-02-17 14:56:24)

sorry for my bad english smile

#9 2008-02-17 16:31:27

jacko

maybe someone should start an AUR package of slim with pam support going for others that may run into this.

should be easy enough.

#10 2008-03-31 16:00:49

hennes

To anyone trying to rebuild Slim with PAM support, if you're using GCC 4.3.0, you should append something like

sed -i 's|#include <string>|#include <string>\n#include <stdlib.h>|' cfg.cpp

Right after

cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver

in the PKGBUILD, or it won't compile. I just ran into this.

#11 2008-04-06 23:36:06

cdemoulins

thanks for the tip for compile with gcc 4.3

I add a package slim_pam on AUR.

#12 2008-08-26 08:13:55

samhain

Rnicholson wrote:

...Restarted SLiM and now, fingerprint reader works like a champ with SLiM.

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. I did the setup of Slim + thinkfinger according to the wiki but it doesn't work. 
Rnicholson, would you mind posting your /etc/pam.d/login, /etc/pam.d/slim and /etc/slim.conf files?

I'm afraid I'm missing something somewhere... hmm

Arch is to Linux as Jeet Kune Do is to martial arts.

Board footer