You are not logged in.

#1 2004-05-05 12:48:53

mattux

too much packages?

hi
i use archlinux since 0.5 was out...

and i think it is the best distro you can get.......
in my opinion the pacman-system is great
but like gentoo (which was fantastic) now it takes 30min to sync the portage server..
i hope arch won´t go this way.... .. .. now it takes 1-3min but in 3years?

(sry 4 my bad english ...)

mattux

#2 2004-05-05 13:39:58

zeppelin
Website

Re: too much packages?

mattux, I have to disagree with you. Having a lot of packages is not bad for a distro. afterall a binary distro should provide as many as it can provide. but that's what you're saying is different.
maybe you should think more the pkg categories.
current , extra , staging , tur, testing

extra can have as many as you like.

if you don't like the mess that so many packages sometimes cause then edit your pacman.conf and only also release [so when 0.7 is out you just upgrade to 0.7 which will be 110% stable]

it takes 30min to sync with the server, becuase ( i assume) you have a slow connection.
in 3 years I wish you a faster one smile

#3 2004-05-05 16:14:53

Abaddon

I am syncing about 1-3 seconds... Maybe you should change mirror?

btw. I think that binary distribution should has as many packages as it's possible.

Gnome - The weakest link!
Linux, *not* GNU/Linux!

#4 2004-05-05 16:34:57

i3839

I think the problem is that it's needed to download the whole package database, not the ammount of packages. You can "solve" the problem by keeping the number of packages small, but the real sollution is to use a query based package management system, or a smarter sync way. Currently the database is small enough to sync with it every time, so there's no problem yet. You should always use the max download bandwidth of your connection, if not you should try another mirror.

#5 2004-05-07 03:25:22

jf/

Abaddon wrote:

I am syncing about 1-3 seconds... Maybe you should change mirror?

yeah - try perhaps vi /etc/pacman.conf - and grep for "netselect"

btw. I think that binary distribution should has as many packages as it's possible.

yep - me too - i second that. As many as sanely possible, of course - more packages call for more developers to keep track of the packages.

Board footer