You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-14 02:03:40

stefos

Music player capable of a large music library

I've been using arch for about a year now, and really like it! But I still miss one thing, a good Gnome music library/player.

I have a rather large (+-50K songs) which I used to mange and play with foobar on windows. Foobar was perfect, good library, fast, extremely configurable, and very conservative on memory. Especially the memory, what is foobar doing right that all these linux players are doing wrong??

The only thing kind of working for me is mpd+gmpc. This works ok, updates the library fast, but this is a very limited program when it comes to:

- frontend options
- dragging multiple files in playlist
- tag support (genre//musicbrainz id's/sort name)
- etc

I've tried:
- Amarok, which didn't even load my library when I told it to, and uses a bunch of kde libs
- Exaile, takes up 400 mb of memory, starts/responds very slow
- Quod Libet, promising, but also very slow
- Listen, Banshee and others are too buggy and slow
- Foobar on wine, gives a lot of interface errors due to the windows api in wine not being complete

So are there any options I'm currently missing?

#2 2008-02-14 02:18:14

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Re: Music player capable of a large music library

rhythmbox?

#3 2008-02-14 02:23:34

stefos

Also tried that one, but it's just not as fast (by far) as foorbar, or mpd. And it also has very limited customisation options for the library layout.

Last edited by stefos (2008-02-14 02:26:16)

#4 2008-02-14 02:37:25

iphitus
Forum Fellow

stefos wrote:

I've been using arch for about a year now, and really like it! But I still miss one thing, a good Gnome music library/player.

I have a rather large (+-50K songs) which I used to mange and play with foobar on windows. Foobar was perfect, good library, fast, extremely configurable, and very conservative on memory. Especially the memory, what is foobar doing right that all these linux players are doing wrong??

The only thing kind of working for me is mpd+gmpc. This works ok, updates the library fast, but this is a very limited program when it comes to:

- frontend options

limited? There's tonnes of frontends for mpd smile

You're missing the Sonata frontend. pacman -S sonata

#5 2008-02-14 02:47:04

fwojciec

My library is about 160GB -- mostly flacs.  In Windows used to use foobar2000, in Linux I use mpd (usually with sonata as frontend, but I also have some keyboard shortcuts defined using mpc).  I'm very happy with it -- it works very well, especially since my library is organized using directory structure (genre/artist/album/song). 

I use mpd/sonata for playing music only...  For tagging I use easytag, I have some scripts for format conversion, I use bashburn for burning and rubyripper for ripping -- essentially one app per task philosophy which seems to work best with a large(ish) library.

#6 2008-02-14 02:49:00

stefos

iphitus wrote:
stefos wrote:

- frontend options

limited? There's tonnes of frontends for mpd smile

You're missing the Sonata frontend. pacman -S sonata

I'ts beginning to sound cliché tongue But I also tried that! (you should see my "Sound & Video" gnome menu list!) But that had even less options than gmpc, and i meant options like sorting artists bij sort name, displaying discnumber tags etc. This just isn't possible with the mpd database model.
The is indeed plenty of choice in the frontends, but they all boil down to the same functionality.

#7 2008-02-14 03:01:50

bionnaki

moc is a great alternative to mpd

#8 2008-02-14 04:17:03

stonecrest

stefos wrote:

and i meant options like sorting artists bij sort name, displaying discnumber tags etc.

It can do both of these. (Granted the latter is only available as of 1.4.2, which just got packaged for Arch today.)

Last edited by stonecrest (2008-02-14 04:17:15)

I am a gated community.

#9 2008-02-14 07:45:05

smoon
Website

stefos wrote:

- frontend options
- etc

I've tried:
- Amarok, which didn't even load my library when I told it to, and uses a bunch of kde libs
- Exaile, takes up 400 mb of memory, starts/responds very slow
- Quod Libet, promising, but also very slow
- Listen, Banshee and others are too buggy and slow
- Foobar on wine, gives a lot of interface errors due to the windows api in wine not being complete

You should give XMMS2 a try. It is client/server based just like mpd, but has some advanced features like collections which come in really handy for big media libraries.

#10 2008-02-14 15:33:35

mrcold

bionnaki wrote:

moc is a great alternative to mpd

not really..  It is a good alternative to mpd with mpc or ncmpc, but only if you don't need the remote access.
or am i missing something?

#11 2008-02-14 16:29:25

uastasi

stefos wrote:

- frontend options
- etc

There's no best choice matching your requirements. Try install some plugins from aur such as gmpc-extraplaylist , gmpc-autoplaylist , gmpc-mdcover and gmpc-coveramazon and maybe you could improve its usability.;)

Till the last battle, till the last bottle.
aur - twitter

#12 2008-02-14 16:52:22

GogglesGuy
Website

Try my Goggles Music Manager (http://code.google.com/p/gogglesmm). It's in the community repository under "musicmanager". I'm curious (since I'm the developer of GMM) to see how much memory it takes with 50K songs.

(it should be pretty good in memory use compared to Amarok,Banshee, Rhythmbox, Listen, Exaile.)

Last edited by GogglesGuy (2008-02-14 17:15:16)

#13 2008-02-14 16:55:21

Don-DiZzLe

moc +1, simple and powerful!

#14 2008-02-14 17:16:24

kelnoky

I also used foobar on Windows and loved it. At the moment, I' using mpd+sonata and I like it very much. But I can see that it lacks some features you want, that's just not the way mpd was built.

To be honest, there is nothing that can hold a candle to foobar. Nothing. It's the one program that has no equal counterpart on linux. Give up. I was searching for an alternative a very long time after I switched to linux and just didn't find anything. Mpd and Sonata comes close, but yeah...

#15 2008-02-14 17:43:20

fwojciec

kelnoky wrote:

To be honest, there is nothing that can hold a candle to foobar. Nothing. It's the one program that has no equal counterpart on linux. Give up. I was searching for an alternative a very long time after I switched to linux and just didn't find anything. Mpd and Sonata comes close, but yeah...

I used to think the same way... but I got over foobar completely and I don't miss it anymore.  The key was to stop looking for a foobar replacement and to rethink how I manage my music library so that it matches the linux way of doing things instead (one app per function).  I prefer my current solution -- the main advantage is that I'm completely independent from any particular piece of software -- I could migrate my library to another player in a matter of minutes, for example, which is great.

#16 2008-02-18 20:18:28

fifafrazer

I can't believe no one suggests xmms. It is just as lightweight as the console players and the playlist is damn fast. Although it has stopped development, it got all the features it needs.

#17 2008-02-18 20:41:50

wuischke

I personally use xmms2, but I suggest taking a look at amarok. It is not light on resources, but I love the UI.

#18 2008-02-18 21:22:42

Romashka
Forum Fellow

stefos wrote:

- frontend options
- etc

Other mpd frontends?
sonata, gimmix, qmpdclient.

to live is to die

#19 2008-02-19 23:37:43

Frood

Try amarok one more time. The UI is the best i have seen in any music player and its fast although resource intensive.

Every now and then I try to switch to something a bit more lightweight but each time so far I have gone back to amarok in the end. I use it with a fairly large library of about 14k songs and works very well.

#20 2008-02-24 20:53:43

Slash
Website

fwojciec wrote:
kelnoky wrote:

I used to think the same way... but I got over foobar completely and I don't miss it anymore.  The key was to stop looking for a foobar replacement and to rethink how I manage my music library so that it matches the linux way of doing things instead (one app per function).  I prefer my current solution -- the main advantage is that I'm completely independent from any particular piece of software -- I could migrate my library to another player in a matter of minutes, for example, which is great.

Same with me. I use mpd with ncmpc along with some small scripts to automate things and other tools if I want to do something besides simply play music- Foobar2k is great and I used it years ago on Windows, but I now prefer having different tools for different jobs. Foobar2k is a rarity in software due to the fact it does everything and does most things a lot better than other function-specific tools. I do not foresee anyone cloning foobar2k in any OS and being successful. 9 times out of 10 such software is a bloated piece of crap, foobar2k just got lucky smile I agree, you have to rethink how you deal with your music collection if you aren't using foobar2k. I currently have 66,000 songs in mpd and I would never go back to a "regular" client for playing music, not even if foobar2k ran natively under Linux. I am gay for the server/client model now smile

#21 2008-02-24 21:00:00

funkyou
Website

Amarok with postgresql, i have a similar sized collection and its lightning-fast smile

However, you need to tag all your files correctly to make use of all the goodness in Amarok

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#22 2008-02-25 00:41:48

theringmaster
Website

what you are looking for is quod libet. It is a nice, simple yet very customizable music player written in python (I think)

Check me out on twitter!!! twitter.com/The_Ringmaster

#23 2008-02-25 09:53:52

onearm
Website

Has no one named gmusicbrowser yet? I'm using it instead of amarok and, besides the slightly weird interface, it is fast and meant to be used with large (>10000) collections.

To get something done, a committee should consist of no more than three persons, two of them absent.
--
My Github

#24 2008-02-25 13:38:23

stefos

Thanks for all your replies!
I currently use mpd+sonata instead of gmpc. It's better indeed, still fast, but not perfect.

@wuischke:
xmms2 looks promising, but is still very much alpha software

@theringmaster:
Quod libet was so sloooow

@funkyou:
I like the amarok functionality and interface, so I'll try that postgresql db backend tonigt! (using http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Postgresql_HowTo).

@onearm:
I'll also trie gmusicbrowser, if a program self-advertises with large collection support, it should better be good...

Last edited by stefos (2008-02-25 14:16:57)

#25 2008-02-25 13:46:05

Don-DiZzLe

Audacious is also pretty cool, similar to winamp.

Board footer