You are not logged in.

#1 2008-02-17 12:44:41

phisphere
Website

issue with compositing (compiz-fusion & xcompmgr)

hi.

i have a weird issue with both compiz and xcompmgr. but the problems are different. with cmopiz, i don't get anything. no effects, no shadows, no window borders (when i select emerald). tried different ways to run compiz (explained in wiki), but with no results.

with xcompmgr (which is a small compositing engine) i have different problem. i used it with awesome to make inactive windows transparent. it works, but it's quality is awful. when i switch between the windows or virtual desktops, the windows drag to stripes for a second and it's also slow and sluggish (it's hard for me to explain the thing in english, but i hope you'll get the point - it feels like i'm using a machine from 1995).

i have a dell vostro laptop with nvidia geforce m8400gs graphics card (128MB DDR3), so for a laptop it's a reasonable card. xorg is configured with compositing enabled and latest nvidia driver is also installed. glxgears works well and if i remember correctly, when i tried ubuntu 7.10, compiz-fuison worked well out of the box after installing the driver.

so, if you can, please help.

#2 2008-02-17 13:01:51

dyscoria

Re: issue with compositing (compiz-fusion & xcompmgr)

phisphere wrote:

with xcompmgr (which is a small compositing engine) i have different problem. i used it with awesome to make inactive windows transparent. it works, but it's quality is awful. when i switch between the windows or virtual desktops, the windows drag to stripes for a second and it's also slow and sluggish (it's hard for me to explain the thing in english, but i hope you'll get the point - it feels like i'm using a machine from 1995).

I can't help with the other problems, but I think this one is a problem with the current Xorg server. I think the fix was to revert to an older version of xorg (if you have the older version still in pacman cache). I have that problem at the moment, so i've just ditched xcompmgr until a new version of xorg with a fix comes out.

Last edited by dyscoria (2008-02-17 13:02:11)

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#3 2008-02-20 12:55:54

phisphere
Website

Re: issue with compositing (compiz-fusion & xcompmgr)

Well, I found out that I have a problem with my Nvidia card. So I posted a topic under hardware issues.
It seems that the card is loaded and runs, but cannot do OpenGL and compositing (because glxgears works, that's means it can do basic 3D)

So anyone having an idea, please help me out.

Board footer